Red Rocks 2019

Hardpan

• Forum MVP

I’d love to see DSO do an elective at Red Rocks but that’s is a nice little 83 show. Shakedown. Scarlet Fire. 

I just want them to have artistic choice though. Let them pick the show or construct the set list. They deserve it. 

We sold out Red Rocks. 

Also an 83 means no Lisa. We want Lisa. 

• Forum MVP

I’m with you, MC, on the elective. Gotta love the historical aspect being thrown out though to if you are a GD enthusiast and historian. To see them play full on elective doing those mindbenders would be ecstasy. And being hedonistic in bent makes a powerful case for such. 

Let them roll it to us..... 

• Forum MVP

They just need to triple encore again and Lisa can get 3 songs. The band made the smart choice of recreating a famous show. I think that sold lots of tickets. Imo recreation is the way to go when talking 10k people. If 2 shows do 1 and 1. 

That 83 setlist looks awesome. Would prefer the full band there, as well. Would love to see something in the early 70s monstrous setlists style, Playin, Dark Star, Dew, etc, both drummers and Lisa. Seems like they have the time there if they start at 6:30 again. Probably would be fun to play something like that there, even though the Dead never got a chance to. I wonder how many people having Keller Williams along brought in. Kind of unusual to see an opening act, but the package deal could have brought people along if they had to travel and like Keller. 

• Forum MVP

I’d say Keller helped sell it out. The gf talked to a guy near us who came for Keller and said he’d never really listened to the dead and he thought it was awesome. I was thinking how could you be a Keller fan and not be familiar with the dead. Just seems strange. Keller even has a dead band as one of his 20 projects.  As long as we stilll get a full Dso show, bring on an opener. I loved my 7 hours at redrocks. In September the sun will set earlier which is a plus and the temps will be lower. I really hope we could get a connector but I was told that redrocks wouldn’t let you book any Colorado gigs within a month each way of a show there?  Seems weird but also it would increase attendance and force locals to have to see the show there versus lake Dillon or wherever. Not everyone is like the people here. A few shows a year suffices for much of the public while the crazies here would love a 2 week stand in 1 city lol. It’s time for the 6 shows in 7 days in Miami for New Years!!!!

• Forum MVP

Noted  a small group dancin to Keller near back singing all the words!

19 years old at Alpine Valley....

Yes Lisa,Lisa,Lisa....elective if that's what it takes.

Sep 8 2019....I'll do it...do it again 

• Forum MVP

I’m guessing when the band found out it was a sellout that they breathed a huge sigh of relief combined with a great sense of accomplishment. Deadheads are notorious for waiting til last second to buy tix. Buying tix 6-12 months in advance is something very few of us do unless it’s imperative to get in.  Early ticket sales likely put some stress on the band but it was all worth it in the end. Many of the types of bands that do the same or a similar show every show sell out quickly because people aren’t following them around and they get 1 show a year from that band or they do a tour every 5 years. 

Ive come to think that Deadco and JRAD are actually good for Dso. I think more people are getting back into their groove of youth because of more dead music and in the long run, Dso will really benefit from more fans being created and deadco ain’t gonna tour forever.  My personal hypothesis is that the dead revival that started with Dead50 helped made this a sellout. The crowd was different than a regular Dso show that’s usually 600-1500 die hard deadheads all getting down. I really like that at most Dso shows, the crowd is awesome with very few dead tourists. If you have 30k people at a show, it’s very hard to have a Dso Milwaukee type dance fest with people swinging from the rafters and others close to falling off the balcony. Redrocks was in between a regular Dso dance party and a deadco “dance” party. It had the most people I’ve seen at a Dso show dancing their ass off but A lower percentage of people doing that as I’m not sure if there are 10k people in the universe that will get down for 4+ hours like islandbro ;)   That being said I’m happy for the band but I’m not ready for DSO to play basketball arenas lol. I like being with smaller crowds of people in the know than with big crowds of people where 5-10% sit and text on their phones the whole show, but from a business aspect I’m happy for the DSO LLC and want them to be financially successful and I’m sure this was a nice payday. 

• Forum MVP

I think doing an historical show the first time around helped big time. I now believe we sell Red Rocks out without. Do I think we still need an opener? Maybe. I certainly don’t think it hurt. Would love an acoustic or electric hot tuna show into DSO. Even bringing along a smaller bluegrass outfit that can't get the gig on their own could help. 

So so stoked that we will be back. 

• Forum MVP
57 minutes ago, Deadmom said:

Carmel and one Berkeley show were not covers, even sang a few Jerry band songs in Berkeley-sweet

They do prob 35-40% original setlists now, but they werent needing to sell 9500 tix at those shows cali shows. The historical aspect went a long way the 1st year. Saw lots of Facebook comments of people saying how they loved the 78 show and wanted to see it recreated. I think a good way to go would be to do 2 Dead shows. Do one of the 1 set 69 shows then do a 2nd set elective or shorter 80s show as 1 set or just Dso play 5-11 and do a 69 set 1, 70s set 2 then 80s set 3 ;) 

Hopefully it becomes an annual tradition as it seemed everyome had a great time. With all the online trolls in today’s day and age, there were 100% positive comments on dso’s Facebook last time I looked which is an accomplishment in itself. You are lucky to find 80% positive for on Deadco’s but then again Dso is a far superior band. I would also still expect an opening band considering the allowed time start to close. It’s such a beautiful place 6 hours seems fitting. Anyone know the time the show finished exactly?  I saw a 4:15 Dso 1974 show in Lexington and think this was a tad longer start to finish. If I recall correctly it was like 10:10 when the band started the 6 song encore and maybe 10:35 when they finished the original show. I forgot the show had a 3 song encore and was thinking at 10:10 we will get the encore, the show announce and probably 1 filler as red rocks said show end at 10:30. When Eaton said we are going to keep playing and said we are going to play a few more I figured 1-2.  Was pretty much a 3 setter. Deadco die hards seeing Dso 1st time were struggling to catch their breath with that tempo in that altitude. It’s like someone who does triathalons now doing an iron man triathalon without training for double the distance. 

It was a triathlon-3 sets! It was the end of my mini cali tour and I was glad for Keller, extended my first time there. The lightning didn't hurt either. Only bummer was the guy a few rows in front of me that kept grabbing beach balls and deflating them-I finally grabbed one out of his hands and hit it into the crowd. Can't wait to go back next year! 

My first RR show and I’m still enjoying the leftover vibes.  and DSO in 2019 announced so soon gives me a count down of 423 days , and it will be here before I know it.  I will fill the gap with a few more dso shows. 

The 21 year old women next to me sang every song and lived every minute.  It was great to see 40 years later the feeling and songs jerry brought still resonate with the young.  

• Forum MVP
13 hours ago, Deadmom said:

It was a triathlon-3 sets! It was the end of my mini cali tour and I was glad for Keller, extended my first time there. The lightning didn't hurt either. Only bummer was the guy a few rows in front of me that kept grabbing beach balls and deflating them-I finally grabbed one out of his hands and hit it into the crowd. Can't wait to go back next year! 

Lmao. That deflater is my kind of guy. I think it was at a Richmond New Years show that these balloons kept being hit around distracting me from the music. Once one would come near me I’d pop it and be like oops but I heard a few people cheering me for popping them. Next time a balloon came—pop. I’m not an instant popper but after a while I’ll get the situation resolved to get the focus back to the music ;)  

• Forum MVP

Just saw a Dso Facebook post from 17 hours ago. Says save the date...in fact save the whole weekend!!!!!!!   Boom!! Connectors!! Unless its a big venue that may be a hard to get ticket. I’d assume that means Denver, boulder or summit county show as the general public probably doesn’t look at 3+ hours away as a connector to save the weekend. 

So where could Dso play?? I’d have to tbink a venue with only 1k max wouldn’t cut it pre-redrocks. Boulder theater would be out. They sell it out anyway and it’s too small to handle just the out of towners. 

My guess:  Dillon Ampitheater. It’s outdoors and holds up to 5k it says(5k seems to be stretching the capacity of that place considering chairs are ok). 

• Forum MVP

One year at jubilee I took out a beach ball after repeatedly being blasted in the back of the head with it. Was definitely too many times to be a coincidence. September of ‘19 is gonna be my priority vacation for the year. Not gonna miss it again. Can’t wait to see the weekend details

• Forum MVP
16 hours ago, Rude said:

The historical aspect went a long way the 1st year.

Rob Eaton sought out, discovered and restored those tapes of GD July run from 1978. There was a legal process involved getting those tapes released. Of course, July 8, 1978 is the one to play. No contest, no discussion. The ultimate high. And what a celebration!

Yay, Betty Cantor Jackson. Glad you are seeing the joy you bring us realized. 

8 hours ago, Rude said:

Just saw a Dso Facebook post from 17 hours ago. Says save the date...in fact save the whole weekend!!!!!!!   Boom!! Connectors!! Unless its a big venue that may be a hard to get ticket. I’d assume that means Denver, boulder or summit county show as the general public probably doesn’t look at 3+ hours away as a connector to save the weekend. 

So where could Dso play?? I’d have to tbink a venue with only 1k max wouldn’t cut it pre-redrocks. Boulder theater would be out. They sell it out anyway and it’s too small to handle just the out of towners. 

My guess:  Dillon Ampitheater. It’s outdoors and holds up to 5k it says(5k seems to be stretching the capacity of that place considering chairs are ok). 

I was thinking that could have just been hinting at a two night run at Red Rocks. Hopefully won't be tough to get tickets when they go on sale even if it is for a smaller venue.

There's no way the Dillon Amphitheater holds 5k...

That was one of my alltime favorite shows/venues though - Would love to get back there again.

My guess is 2 nights at the Ogden that Friday and Saturday.

Archived