Just a theory

helpfrankslip

I read in a recent publication that had an article and a couple q&a with John Mayer and he stated his first introduction into gd music was althea,   so this lead him to dig deeper and he stated his love for the mid tempo blues songs ie loser, sugaree, bew tjed and a few others.  So after reading i wondered if there might be a connection between his likeness for the slower songs and the overall new arrangements. Of course i can't see him convincing bobby to slow everything down but since this is a new band he could have persuaded bobby to try a new direction, it could be a coincidence that Johns favorite songs in the dead catalog just happen to have a tempo that seems to have spilled over into quite a few other songs that have slowed down a little. Sometimes a new direction isn't always the best direction

• Forum MVP

Listen to Ratdog. Furthur too. Even the Dead in 09 or Dead50. Bobby slows the tempos. I can’t stand Mayer. I haven’t bought it and I’m not going to. Musically it’s not there but the tempos are Bobby. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Mason's Child said:

Listen to Ratdog. Furthur too. Even the Dead in 09 or Dead50. Bobby slows the tempos. I can’t stand Mayer. I haven’t bought it and I’m not going to. Musically it’s not there but the tempos are Bobby. 

I can get slowing the tempos, but not every single song. The summer tour opening song of shakedown street was the slowest I’ve ever heard it. They had the free nugs broadcast and I’ve never seen less dancing during a shakedown in my life.  

I think bobby is trying to create a unique sound for deadco as opposed to playing perfect songs the way they were perfected. Newsflash. Dont fuck with dead music unless you want to try to take it to a new level or play it faster. Bluegrass played slow is just country music.  My brain can’t completely process fast dead which creates a confusion effect. I can process deadco which doesn’t give me the same feeling. I want to be behind while processing music. It challenges your mind. 

/end stalling to catch up with 3 weeks of missed work. 

22 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

I have a theory. Bobby is old. He has slowed his tempo. At 56, I notice my tempo slowing, got nothing to do with intentional, just human nature. 

I saw Phil on July 1st. Every song was in the proper tempo range and Phil is many years older than Bobby. I was impressed by Phil and the family band but they had 3 guitarists which I don’t think is their standard setup plus moe guys played with him. But it was all standard tempo. You don’t have music be the level of Dso to enjoy it, just played at a tempo where it’s challenging. There are many many old musicians out there not slowing tempos down. This is about him creating his own style as to not be in the shadow of the dead. 

And on a final note, in 2015 deadco didn’t play this slow tempo. They played normal speed and it was a disaster. Hmm. Maybe that’s why it got slowed. 

• Forum MVP

Piling on the the tempo-is-Weir chorus, there is sentiment attributed to him in the new Joel Selvin book about why he likes to play slower. I forget the exact quotes, but essentially he wants the songs to have time to better seep into the listener's consciousness, which he feels is better accomplished by slowing things down.

As a tangent to this discussion, Selvin describes the main issues between Bobby and Phil in Furthur is that Bobby wanted to play slower while Phil wanted to sound louder, and these two concepts were constantly butting heads with one another.

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, John A said:

Piling on the the tempo-is-Weir chorus, there is sentiment attributed to him in the new Joel Selvin book about why he likes to play slower. I forget the exact quotes, but essentially he wants the songs to have time to better seep into the listener's consciousness, which he feels is better accomplished by slowing things down.

As a tangent to this discussion, Selvin describes the main issues between Bobby and Phil in Furthur is that Bobby wanted to play slower while Phil wanted to sound louder, and these two concepts were constantly butting heads with one another.

That is one argument that Bobby won’t win because I never heard people begging for slow tempo and the defenders aren’t saying it’s better but to just accept it. But I assume Bobby gives 2 fucks what I think. 

Archived