Great South Bay Fest - 7/15

cusnjohn

Had a fine time at the GSBF in Patchouge last weekend. Lineup was Little Feat, Hot Tuna, and the Dickey Betts Band.

Little Feat played a very solid hour set. Great seeing/hearing Bill Payne again. Highlights were numerous: Oh Atlanta, Spanish Moon, a nice sing along Willin/ Don't Bogart that Joint, with a slow Dixie Chicken to close. I miss Richie Heywood and the drummer never opened up would be my only complaint. The band was enjoying themselves and will only get tighter with time.

Hot Tuna brought the goods! An acoustic Been So Long into Hesitation, followed by some ripping electric tunes. They did both Come Back Baby's, can't remember the names of what was in between but it all smoked. One tune from Yellow Fever in there. Jack tore it up an it's always a pleasure to hear Jorma play, even if his singing is sometimes uninspired. A band to support for sure.

Expected Dickey to be rough, and it was. Opened with Hot Lanta, with Nothing You Can Do soon after that. Even sixteenth notes were a struggle, but the tone was there and there were snatches of what could happen, enough to make me want to keep going. His vocals weren't too bad, and he played better when sitting on a high stool. Band was tight, Damon Fowler doing a nice job on slide and Duane pulling off a fine solo. The keyboard guy played a Gregg song I didn't know, something about the sound of guitars, very sweet. OK Blue Sky into a patchy Jessica that could become something. Favorite moment was the turn around that took Dickey twice as long as usual, but the band just waited for him to get there, then went right back to pace. Go support him, and maybe six or seven gigs in, he might find his way back to form. Glad I went and the fifty bucks was a steal for those 3 bands, all told. JB 

• Like (+1) 2