Black Mountain Roll Call

Tea

• Forum MVP

I’ve been off the DSO grid for too long.  I’d love to jump back in with a respectable run but Blk Mtn will just have to do.  

Hoping for the usual suspects and to get to meet some new forum folks!  Who’s In?

• Forum MVP

Boy would I love to get back down that way. Beautiful country down there. Have the days off, will just have to see if I can get my oldest tucked away at school, and see if the funds are left to make the trip. More than likely will be out til the October run thru this way tho 

• Forum MVP
19 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

True story. Bear Mountain. .. in 2 weeks. 

F26E4B25-86A9-4C83-ABEB-91F21628BCBF.jpeg

Ol' Slew-Foot

Lyrics: Hausey, Manney
Music: Hausey, Manney

Performed a few times by the Grateful Dead in 1969, with Bob Weir singing vocals (and Jerry Garcia playing pedal steel guitar on at least some performances).

High on the mountain, tell me what do you see?
Bear tracks, bear tracks, looking back at me
You'd better get your rifle before it's too late
The bear's got a little pig and its headed through the gate

Chorus
He's big around the middle, he's broad across the rump
Running ninety miles an hour, taking thirty feet a jump
Never been caught, Lord, he's never been treed
Some folks say he looks a lot like me

I saved up my money and I bought me some bees
They started making honey way up in the trees
I chopped down the tree but my honey's all gone
Ol' Slew Foot's done and made himself at home

[chorus]

Winter's coming on and it's forty below
River's frozen over now so where can he go
We chase him up the gully, run him in the well
Shoot him in the bottom just to listen to him yell

[chorus]
Some folks say he looks a lot like me

• Forum MVP

Man as the date grows closer it’s looking like I may not be able to stop myself from doing the trip. Debating taking my youngest out of school a day to make the trip. Have to move my oldest into dorms on Thursday, but if I do that leaves me free for the weekend. What’s a 6 hour ride through the beautiful smokies for 2 sweet nights with DSO? Was looking 60-40 against, Now more like 70-30 in favor of travel. 

• Forum MVP

If you pass through Asheville on way to Blk Mtn, on corner opposite the Peel is Bartaco. We loved it in Boulder and this one is equally as amazing!!! The food will have you licking your fingers clean.  Recommend the sirloin, duck and tuna tacos- tuna poke - and plantains are yummmmm- meee! Fast service

. FYI - Wicked Weed has been bought by Budweiser....  still good. I guess they are competing with Sierra Nevada. 

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

If you pass through Asheville on way to Blk Mtn, on corner opposite the Peel is Bartaco. We loved it in Boulder and this one is equally as amazing!!! The food will have you licking your fingers clean.  Recommend the sirloin, duck and tuna tacos- tuna poke - and plantains are yummmmm- meee! Fast service

. FYI - Wicked Weed has been bought by Budweiser....  still good. I guess they are competing with Sierra Nevada. 

Beer is like small tech companies.  You hope to get bought by the billion dollar companies and cash out even though your payday will be in the 7 figure range, not the 10 figure range.

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

BarTaco is indeed it!  Don’t pass on the fresh Guacamole - It’s L-E-G-I-T ❤️

• Forum MVP

All this talk got me to look at a map. That area is my children’s maternal grandfather’s old stomping grounds, Spruce Pine. His grandmothers grandfather was Daniel Boone. True story. I know, I know, none of this has anything to do with Grateful Dead music. Wait a minute!, ....upon the Blue Ridge mountain, there I’ll take my stand....

• Forum MVP
22 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

All this talk got me to look at a map. That area is my children’s maternal grandfather’s old stomping grounds, Spruce Pine. His grandmothers grandfather was Daniel Boone. True story. I know, I know, none of this has anything to do with Grateful Dead music. Wait a minute!, ....upon the Blue Ridge mountain, there I’ll take my stand....

Means you need to come explore your family’s roots next weekend. Just a little road trip ;)

• Forum MVP
47 minutes ago, PoetryGirl said:

What is this feeling about next weekend? This excitement ? It must be ❤️ 💙

Good music...dancing space....old FRIENDS all around....cold beer brewed right next door.... new FRIENDs to meet....friendly trees overhead....children running under your feet...parking only a short walk.....good food vendors....weather that has been beautiful almost every year....sometimes a rainbow in the light mist...and the best band in the land,,,DSO

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Means you need to come explore your family’s roots next weekend. Just a little road trip ;)

Well, after considerable deliberation, it’s going to have to be a no. You did have me going for a little while, though. I’m using up the majority of my opportunity, wiggle room in my work schedule, and fun tickets to do Atlantic City, south Jersey, My old summer stomping grounds. It’s even looking like Dewey Beach will just be one night, at best. Drive down to the show, turn around and make the drive home. Of course, now that I know better, black mountain might happen next year. I’m kinda burnt out on Dewey, and really can’t believe the band isn’t either. Yea, I said it. That’s why I’m doing things differently this year. As for next year, maybe I’ll spend a little time on the mountain.

Archived