A curious question about GD vs DSO

• Forum MVP

I was thinking, as I do often, among other things. 

I pose this question:

If you had a choice, would you rather attend a 68-69 DSO show or would choose a 89 Greatful Dead show? 

Someone once told me they tour DSO, but they listen to GD.  I listen to both.  But,  I wonder how others feel if giving a choice between live appearances. My answer above is easy.  Even if a alpine or a hampton.  But now that many of you have witnessed a sold out red rocks by both, what is your flavor? 

In Thailand,  there is a saying, same same, but different.  What's your difference!!! 

• Forum MVP

I love “primal” Dead and always have. I love the essence of it. The higher mind that drove it. The promise of unfolding, the dream of love becoming, the spaciousness and the raw energy that comes in between. It feels like modern art. The suggestion allows your essence to fill the space. So this music  experientially winds my clock. 

• Forum MVP

A DSO 68-69-70 3-show run with an Alpine ‘89 setting (minus the relentless rain).  That would not suck.

Personally, I go early DSO but the choice would not be easy with Jerry in the mix.

DSO does the old greasy psychedelia just so damn well!  I can’t wait for the next time I’m there when the wheel lands on ‘old school.’

• Forum MVP

If I’m time travelin I’d love to see the following plus of course much much more:

Europe 72 on a motorbike

6/76 northeast(whole run(in a car))

2/27-3/2/69 filmore

Oakland New Years shows(most any of those 5-6 show runs would do in the late 80’s)

Every Bay area Jerry band show From 86-close.(John A u lucky bastard)

That would pretty much complete me.....

And I love DSO but I’d go back to do an 89 GD run all day long. It’s jerry bro. Dso is amazing but they idolized the dead like we all do. It’s a no brainer about going back to see the dead. Fuck we camp in the lot for 3 days. 

Considering that I (Kristina) did a ton of '89 tour, I would definitely do the DSO 68-69 show. Not only do they kick ass, I love when they explore early shows and was just a babe when dead originally played that. But would also love to time travel to when Dead played then! Scott said he would choose DSO 68-69 also and he did a ton of '89 Dead also. But, the more I think about it, I really would want to see The Grateful Dead again, no matter what they play. As long as Jerry and Brent were there.

• Forum MVP

Btw, I’m seriously hoping I catch the night of old school pigpen psychedelic blues night on this tour if there is one at all. I’d prefer it’s two drummers but Dewey sets up for 71 or 72 one drummer. Maybe the closest we get. 

Archived