Black Mountain - Camping

PDG1989

• Forum MVP

Several people stay at the KOA but I'm not sure that is actually camping.  With all the mountains, forests, and parks around the area I suspect that there are true camp spots nearby. Someone should be able to speak up about where you can pitch a tent.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, PDG1989 said:

So we’ll be driving a few states over to catch the shows next weekend. Anyone of y’all camped around Asheville/Black Mountain and could recommend a nice spot off the golden road? 

I did koa a couple years back. I’ve heard they hassle you if you’re rockin into the night but I was rolling solo so was left alone to hang with neighbors without hassle. Had like a big yard sale going on the Saturday morning I was there. Expensive for camping in my opinion but I guess that’s any koa. Pools and fishing lake..... Yada yada 

• Forum MVP

It’s about the same to stay at the super 8 as it is for 2 to camp and surprisingly you can be a lot louder at the super 8 than campground. Maybe the old security guy finally croaked and now they leave u alone at the KOA. They called sheriffs nightly on everyone. I still remember the sheriffs walking through OUR sites as we hid in a tent pretending to sleep. You could be not saying a word and the old man security would come yell at you then if you bscktslked saying we weren’t even talking he’d call the cops. Fuck that black mountain KOA

• Forum MVP

If you know your environment, you can make any accommodations works. The ones you want are the Super 8 if you want to stay up late, mingle, and make friends. The place will fill with heads. I will be here this year. 

Some of the more fancy hippies. Those resort types get Airbnb’s and do the House/cabin secluded beautiful approach. I did that last year. 

I never did the KOA. From what I hear, you can’t stay up late. You should plan on sleep after the show. Most KOA have quiet hours from like 10 pm to 6 am or something. Here they apparently enforce that. I would take this with a grain of salt. If my friends had that old sun with them and some of these other guys, they was probably making a bigger scene then they thought. Harmless but too much for this place apparently.   

• Forum MVP

By the way we should always keep in mind that the rules change. Super 8 may not always be so cool. We should always be careful. See ya soon. Gonna be fun. 

Dewey beach first. Another place it’s gooe to know the rules. 

I'm doing the KOA because of the convenience. You can actually catch an Uber ride. The river runs thru it and there is a small lake. They do make you feel unwelcome when you come in. They are super worried about nonregistered campers coming in so they have the Sheriffs department at the entrance late into the night. As long as you're chill its a nice place.

I actually have been searching all over for some land owner to open up their property for camping and have found nothing. One of the best times of my life was in 1990 in Tinley Park Illinois for a 3 night run of the dead playing at the World Music Center. Some local hillbillies had a sign out in front of their land offering camping for dirt cheap. There had to have been a thousand or more people camping out for 3-4 days just living the good life. The camping was just as much fun as the shows.

RIP Brent Mydland

Archived