The Other One
Sing Me Back Home
Sugar Magnolia
Uncle John's Band

One More Saturday Night
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

No drums?, or just no drums on the list? I love sing me back home. They played that in Dewey a year or two ago. Sorry I missed it but the night before left me physically incapable. I overdanced. I love it when Dark Star comes around. My favorite time of the year. Thank You, band.

I think it’s safe to say that we’ve all been rendered incapable at times.

”Hi Greg...”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

No drums?, or just no drums on the list? I love sing me back home. They played that in Dewey a year or two ago. Sorry I missed it but the night before left me physically incapable. I overdanced. I love it when Dark Star comes around. My favorite time of the year. Thank You, band.

"Drums" didn't become a nightly staple until the late 70's...…..prior years got drum solos only if wrapped up within an Other One or Alligator jam.

• Forum MVP

Yea, after being taken to school, I looked up the original set list as performed by the Dead. No drums. I lost my head, forgot where I was, didn’t think of the era. I’m telling ya, the first night at Dewey wiped me out. I overplayed my part. I’m half glad I ‘m back at work, getting the rest I need.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Night was fun.  Great set list.  Casey Jones was a hit for sure.  

I danced as hard as they played.  Last show at Dewey for me, I got a 71.  The birdsong was not what i was used too.  Only because i am not well schooled in GD eras as most of you.  

I am learning though.  Becoming more aware mentally then just the raw rhythm and b es st that makes my body move. 

The band slowed down after sing me back home.  

It's not a slight towards dso,  they play as we dance. I judge the music on how it makes me move.  If dead, and in a coffin, dso played at me funeral, I would jolt through that death to the music played. 

The whole show rocked, but you could feel the down beat after sing me back home.  It was not the same.  The music hit the band, as it hit a friend, she balled her eyes out during merl haggard, and then danced the rest with a man described as Ill , but so happy to be with us all.  

I am proud she gave a dance to someone who needed it.  I hope we all do this for others.  I shake my bum for those who can't get it, but the point.....share yourselves as you share yourselves with the music.  So many people want to dance, let loose.  When I mean dance, I dont mean head Bob, I mean, dont care....dance like you do naked and the house is empty.  The blinds closed.  

The biggest gift we can offer is to offer safety and comfort.  To be the laughable,  so others dont look so laughable.  To qualify, laughable when it makes us move is not funny, its smiles.  Its knowing your energy is passed on to others.  To be so ridiculous that others who care about being ridiculous, have a higher bar set.  To be the extreme, only to shift the measure so ridiculous is normal. 

Thank God b&c removed the back bar.  It sucked.  But now it's gone!!!

Thanks DSO for the memories,  the people, the travel, and the insight.  To give back a strength of being who you are rather then what others want you to be.  

You give that to me.  You make me feel like superman.  My glasses removed, my suit off, my chest out.  It takes music to be a fool, but to do it as a man.  The confidence in that is priceless,  and again, you shared it with me this night.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Couldn’t agree more. DSO played sing me back home in Dewey last year(?) it was right after Merle had passed. I was up front, it brought me to tears, thinking about my mother who had recently had a stroke that rendered her alive but speechless. I could see that the band was effected by that song also. If I ‘m not mistaken, Lisa missed some lyrics, being caught up in the power of the song. 

As far as the dancing goes, yea, dance your face off. I certainly don’t dance as to be judged by others. You might not like me, but you’ll never forget me.

Yea, the bottle and Cork is vastly improved with the changes made to the back area. I still struggled with finding that sweet spot where you’re at a show with the band, far enough back to be able to flail about wildly ,yet, not be in a bar full of neon. 

I feel very fortunate to have caught the Dark Star shows that I did this year. I blew off New Years cuz it was nine fucking degrees out, got blessed with a nice handful of shows that really demonstrated the talents and abilities of every one in the band, onstage or backstage, individually and as a whole. I saw Baltimore, Jerry band show, seventies in Wilmington, Atlantic City was awesome, and first night Dewey was scrumptious. What a nice mix of shows. It’s part of who I am and I am greatly appreciative. Thank you, Dark Star Orchestra, on stage and back stage. 

• Like (+1) 1