College football

bs69

• Forum MVP

Thought for sure Auburn would beat LSU, just never know. The conference that had a great day yesterday was the Big 12, with wins by Kansas (always a big deal if Kansas wins a football game), Texas tech (that freshman qb is legit) Oklahoma state and Texas. TCU showed up and gave tOSU a great game.

15 hours ago, Rude said:

No talent overrated Wisconsin falls to BYU at home. Shows what happens when you can’t recruit and have super slow defense. 

Maryland beat by 21 by temple. Ouch. 

Rutgers allowed 55 points to Kansas. Guess Kansas isn’t the worst power 5 team anymore. 

Nebraska lost to Troy. 

Oh boy. 

Ohio state is real. The rest of the conference are cupcakes with no talent. The SEC has played 4 top 10 non conference games. They were playing a higher ranked in all 4. Texas A&M loses by 2 to the number 2 ranked team, Vanderbilt loses by 5 because of a dropped pass at the 10 to number 8 notre dame and LSU and auburn smoked their top 10 opponents. 

If you look at the rivals recruiting rankings you will see why the SEC is a top yo bottom dominant conference. Wisconsin would be the 10th best recruiting team in the SEC. it’s about talent and the big ten(besides Ohio state) lacks it. Penn state has had 2 straight top 15 classes but besides Ohio state no team in the big ten has had 3 straight top 20 classes. Auburn, LSU, Bama, Georgia have had 4 straight top 10 classes.  In the last 5 years no fewer than 6 sec teams have been in the top 10 recruiting classes every year with a few times they have had 7 of the top 10 classes. Nfl talent makes great teams. You can have a good team without it but when u play nonstop pro players, the talent difference will catch up to you sooner or later and today Wisconsin’s low talent team got exposed. Lucky that penn state didn’t drop their overtime Game to Appalachian state or there would be no pretense even that there was any competition. Ohio state should roll through with a 13-0 record and play the 3 seed unless the big 10 fail today will drag them down against TCU but I doubt it. Osu looks better than they have in years this year, but urban isn’t coaching so that’s prob why. 

NFL talent can only take you so far without a quarterback, just ask LSU. The reason Michigan St. is ranked fairly high most years us they develope qbs. They have put at least 4 into the NFL the last ten years, how many have LSU and Ky.?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Nfl talent takes you very very far on defense. Just ask bama who until this year hasn’t had a qb worth crap. Auburn has had almost no one at qb but their defense is always top 5 in the country. Connor cook sure looked good at times vs the “ranked” northwestern teams. Only Ohio state has a legit defense. No way an Iowa ever could go 12-0 on the sec or northwestern going 10-2 multiple occasions. This year they didn’t cupcake the schedule enough Even though it looked pretty cupcake to me. Sec plays a total of 5 top 10 non conference games this year. It’s not about win loss. It’s the big game conference. 

• Forum MVP
21 hours ago, Rude said:

Nfl talent takes you very very far on defense. Just ask bama who until this year hasn’t had a qb worth crap. Auburn has had almost no one at qb but their defense is always top 5 in the country. Connor cook sure looked good at times vs the “ranked” northwestern teams. Only Ohio state has a legit defense. No way an Iowa ever could go 12-0 on the sec or northwestern going 10-2 multiple occasions. This year they didn’t cupcake the schedule enough Even though it looked pretty cupcake to me. Sec plays a total of 5 top 10 non conference games this year. It’s not about win loss. It’s the big game conference. 

McCarron was a pretty good quarter back at Alabama

• Forum MVP

Mccarron was definitely serviceable. But Tua is a baker mayfield type qb on a team with a defense. Next week bama vs Texas a&m should be a good one. A&M has legit stars on defense with a pretty solid offense. At this point, Bama may be the most dominant team we’ve ever seen in football.  The only thing that slows bama is when they take Tua out of the game in the 1st or 2nd quarter. He’s only played a little over 60 minutes in the 1st 3 games which is insane. The reps will shoot way up vs A&m as I don’t see them getting down by 40 in the 1st half but then again this offense is loaded and the defense is pretty decent. It’s nowbere near bamas best defenses in the last 5 years but it’s still deep with talent. 

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, bs69 said:

I'll be shocked if A&M keeps it close.

I don’t think Tua can be stopped with that stable of NFL wr’s, the best of which may end up being the freshman Waddle. The kid had a TD return nullified by a penalty and had another big return last week as well as a 60yd insane catch against Louisville and he’s coming off the bench. Jerry juedy may be a 1st rounder then you have devonte smith who caught the game winning catch last year vs Georgia and Henry Ruggs who will likely be a late round pick. 

Even if you can slow Tua down, you have to score on that defense. A&M has looked solid this year coming within a 2 point conversion of taking Clemson to OT and a few blowout wins vs scrubs. 

I still believe this is a porous bama defense. I think this will be the worst bama defense we’ve seen in years. They lost way too many to the pros from last years team. 

7 bama defenders taken in 1st 4 rounds in 2017 and 8 defenders taken overall in 2018. You can’t make up for that. They are very thin at a few positions and you can’t replace Minkah in the secondary. Bama has allowed more 20+ yd plays this year than I’ve seen in the last 2 and those were on short passes where the linebackers went the wrong way. Last year you saw almost no missed tackles. This year there have been a bunch. Good news for bama fans is the defense will almost all return next year as well as most of the offense. Bad news is Georgia is maybe even more loaded next year.

This kid is electric and this was game 1. 

• Forum MVP

Was a weird week of football. My thoughts 

1.  Home field advantage is so crazy important in college. 

2.  See number 1. 

3. On the road, teams who had been dominant faltered.

Georgia looked human. I lost a bet giving up 14.5. If Georgia’s secondary wasn’t so good, Missouri wins that game. 

UK looked like world beater defense at home. I saw maybe 1 missed tackle all day. Never saw that before from Kentucky. Also never saw UK destroy a legit run team like that.  UK does have a Potential 1st round linebacker and prob the best defense they have had in years with several straight top 30 recruiting classss but it seemed that the nonstop rain caused miss states star senior qb to take a dump at home. He literally was missing every pass in the 4th quarter by 5 yards. 

Purdue is the best 1-3 team in the country. After watching Georgia not be able to run against Missouri, purdues effort at Missouri seems much better plus they whooped Boston college. 

Nebraska may be worse than Rutgers. Too bad they don’t get to play each other for that honor. 

Tua will win the Heisman. 17/20 for 250yds in the 1st half. Haven’t seen a QB in college that reacts as fast as him in a long time. I bet A&M +27 and won on that one b/c bama puts hurts in when they get up big. I’ve never seen a spread that high with 2 legit teams playing and I almost lost what I thought was the lock of the week b/c Tua is freaking insane. 

Ohio state, though mostly untested, looks the best they have on offense in years. Unfortunately they lost Bosa. U can’t lose the potential number 1 draft pick without it affecting your team. He probably moves the score 3 points a game himself and ends 2 drives a game himself. That one will sting. 

Penn State is a Jekyll and Hyde team. Down 3 to Illinois in the 3rd quarter, they roll off 42 straight in 20 minutes. If they play like that next week, Ohio state will be up 28 at the half and it’s over. U can’t lose a player like Barkley and a few nfl defenders and be the same team. I think Ohio state will roll even on the road in this one even though home field is prob worth 7 points in college. Let’s see what penn states offense looks like vs a team with an nfl secondary next week. That will be a fun one to see. 

Is Stanford actually good?  I really can’t tell. I don’t think they are a legit top 10. The pac 12 is always pretty soft. When you have that perfect weather and gorgeous women and a peaceful mentality, it’s hard to get mean enough to compete against teams that play in 90 degree heat. It’s like how wasps get meaner the hotter it is. Stanford is the smartest team in the top 25 though. 

• Forum MVP

It will be interesting to see if Kentucky can keep it going, they do get Georgia at home. I was not surprised to see TCU lose to Texas or Ole Miss struggle, hard to play well after losing a big game. Penn St. V tOSU next week will be huge!

• Forum MVP
15 hours ago, gr8fulpair said:

I didn't see anything in that country mile of bullshit about my Gamecocks, so fuck that. Marching ahead with a commanding W over the commadores. On to the East title. 

PS: GA needs to show some weaknesses. 

Legitimacy goes through the Cats only teams that play UK can be legitimized. Sorry Bama. After next week, we will know what the Gamecocks are about. After KY takes that game and at A&M and at home vs Georgia, several smaller games, then bama in the sec championship, then Ohio state then Oklahoma then we will crown UK the best in the country. 

• Forum MVP

Louisville was never an elite team. UK beat them last year. They were top 20 but their defense wouldn’t allow them to be any better than that. It’s why I don’t respect Oklahoma. 1 decent defensive team and they lose massively. 

On another note I can’t figure out who to bet in the Ohio state(-4) at penn state. Ohio state isn’t quite there defensively yet even though they have the potential and they are sans Bosa. Penn states offense is definitely not consistent and their defense is plain bad. I’m thinking Ohio state -4 is the bet. But it’s at penn state. There may be no home field advantage if Ohio state gets up early but if there is it may be massive. I still think Ohio state will roll. But no Bosa is at least 3 points for penn state if not more. Dude is a phenom or was a phenom. Core injury affects every part of the game. If he’s left with a weak groin and stomach muscle after this, that’s it for him. A linebackers entire game is in his core. He may have been better than his brother at this point before his injury. Hate to see good players lost for the year. 

My lock of the week. Louisiana lafayette +49.5 at Alabama. That’s 8 scores. Tua will only play until it’s 21-0. Then hurts until it’s 42-? Then come 3rd string and the offensive shut down. Alabama 3rd string is no better than a scrub teams 1st. Lots of freshmen who aren’t close to ready. Missed assignments and blocks. Take the points like I did last week vs A&M knowing how bama just shuts it down. 

Georgia -30 vs Tennessee. I’d never suggest giving this many points, but Georgia was really bad on the road last week vs a pretty good Missouri team. Kirby gave them hell this week and they are at home and I expect 300yds on the ground for Georgia. This score will just keep going up as Georgia pounds and pounds the ball wfich is their identity. No more 100yd rushing game this week. Expect a violent Georgia team to show up vs a talented but badly badly coached Tennessee team. How can 14 Tennessee players from last year be drafted or sign a free agent deal and they were sooo bad. Worst coaching ever. But they have guys who can make plays but they won’t this week. Bulldogs roll 45-6. 

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Tea said:

Take OSU -4 as much as it pains me to say. 

Are the Cats gonna lick those Cocks on Saturday?  Side-bet with Gr8fulpair?

We lost to those losers last 4 times! Time for us to put our money where our cocks are,.... Errr, put our cocks where our money is,... Errr, kick their asses. 

• Forum MVP
5 hours ago, gr8fulpair said:

We lost to those losers last 4 times! Time for us to put our money where our cocks are,.... Errr, put our cocks where our money is,... Errr, kick their asses. 

Straight up bet. Uk wins. U do the norva>anthem run. Gamecocks win. I’ll take care of your share of the hotels.(I get the spouse rate anyway). 

Bet?

• Forum MVP

Penn state absolutely blew that game. They outplayed osu all game and then on 4th and 5 you run it up the middle vs the osu front 7?  Worst play call I’ve ever seen. Did they forget that they were doing a straight run vs an nfl front 7?  If you are a penn state fan, that’s one of those all time depressing games. Urban Meyer wanted to give you the game. His play calling was horrendous. He looked like that Michigan state game where they had 100yds of offense a few years ago. He is plain bad of adjusting on the fly. But penn state decided to play a prevent offense and then all those penalties in a row that took them out of fg range. I’ve never seen a game where the QB ran for so many 1st dowms like that and they still lost. That one is going to hurt for a long time. But if I was bama, I’d much rather play osu than vs penn states little spark plug QB. Osu didn’t start using a spy until the 4th quarter. It took 150 yards qb rushing until urban Meyer adjusted his defense and penn state wouldn’t throw the ball anymore. Osu’s entire passing game was throwing it behind the line of scrimmage and letting their nfl speedsters beat the non nfl penn state secondary. Penn states defense was exhausted at the end. 

• Forum MVP
On 9/26/2018 at 6:23 PM, gr8fulpair said:

We stepped on our own cocks....... Poor showing, but UK not the joke they used to be. Seems we've taken that spot. 

• Forum MVP
17 minutes ago, gr8fulpair said:

We stepped on our own cocks....... Poor showing, but UK not the joke they used to be. Seems we've taken that spot. 

Bet won. Gr8fulpair in for norva>dc. Flight and hotels booked. Sports betting leading to more shows is fun. 

Uk just needs to win next week at A&M which is easy since their fans don’t really get into it, win at home vs Georgia which is easier then win a few more then beat bama in Atlanta(intercept Tua 3 times to the house), then 2 more and boom. National champs!!! 

• Forum MVP
20 hours ago, Rude said:

Penn state absolutely blew that game. They outplayed osu all game and then on 4th and 5 you run it up the middle vs the osu front 7?  Worst play call I’ve ever seen. Did they forget that they were doing a straight run vs an nfl front 7?  If you are a penn state fan, that’s one of those all time depressing games. Urban Meyer wanted to give you the game. His play calling was horrendous. He looked like that Michigan state game where they had 100yds of offense a few years ago. He is plain bad of adjusting on the fly. But penn state decided to play a prevent offense and then all those penalties in a row that took them out of fg range. I’ve never seen a game where the QB ran for so many 1st dowms like that and they still lost. That one is going to hurt for a long time. But if I was bama, I’d much rather play osu than vs penn states little spark plug QB. Osu didn’t start using a spy until the 4th quarter. It took 150 yards qb rushing until urban Meyer adjusted his defense and penn state wouldn’t throw the ball anymore. Osu’s entire passing game was throwing it behind the line of scrimmage and letting their nfl speedsters beat the non nfl penn state secondary. Penn states defense was exhausted at the end. 

The man coverage the Buckeyes play is trouble against a good running qb and McSorley exploited it. I'll take the win. I think if they get a few things ironed out in the next few weeks, they'll be very dangerous in the playoff

• Forum MVP

In a straw poll of sportswriters they had osu’s qb at number 2 behind Tua. Guessing he won’t still be 2. Gotta give props to mcsorley who is prob the 2nd best QB or at least for that game. Kid was solid. Ohio states game is just screen passes. Just shows that superior talent(osu) perseveres vs lesser talent, albeit, better coached(for the most part until penn state wouldn’t let mcsorley pass) teams. 

Looks my 2nd straight lock of the week held. Both were teams playing bama getting insane points. Bama will be a hard team to bet on until they get reasonable spreads considering Saban is enjoying giving 3rd stringers playing time which he couldn’t do last year with hurts as QB. I’ve seen evoifh football to know that unstoppable teams will get stopped but this Tua kid goes through his progressions Better than any college player I’ve ever seen and when he sees the open guy and 1 of those NFL receivers will get open, he shows no hesitation and delivers perfect strikes. His release is lightning. If he was just 4” taller, nfl teams would be giving away entire drafts for the number 1 pick. So far he’s only not converted 2 3rd downs all year. He’s a Near perfect 16/17 passing on 3rd down but 1 completed pass was short of the marker. Bama has yet to play their toughest games in LSU, auburn and maybe Georgia(who may be a top 5 team but is nowhere near the level of Bama and who I think is very beatable). 

At this point I think the playoff is a race to not be the number 4 seed. 

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, Rude said:

In a straw poll of sportswriters they had osu’s qb at number 2 behind Tua. Guessing he won’t still be 2. Gotta give props to mcsorley who is prob the 2nd best QB or at least for that game. Kid was solid. Ohio states game is just screen passes. Just shows that superior talent(osu) perseveres vs lesser talent, albeit, better coached(for the most part until penn state wouldn’t let mcsorley pass) teams. 

Looks my 2nd straight lock of the week held. Both were teams playing bama getting insane points. Bama will be a hard team to bet on until they get reasonable spreads considering Saban is enjoying giving 3rd stringers playing time which he couldn’t do last year with hurts as QB. I’ve seen evoifh football to know that unstoppable teams will get stopped but this Tua kid goes through his progressions Better than any college player I’ve ever seen and when he sees the open guy and 1 of those NFL receivers will get open, he shows no hesitation and delivers perfect strikes. His release is lightning. If he was just 4” taller, nfl teams would be giving away entire drafts for the number 1 pick. So far he’s only not converted 2 3rd downs all year. He’s a Near perfect 16/17 passing on 3rd down but 1 completed pass was short of the marker. Bama has yet to play their toughest games in LSU, auburn and maybe Georgia(who may be a top 5 team but is nowhere near the level of Bama and who I think is very beatable). 

At this point I think the playoff is a race to not be the number 4 seed. 

Settle down, let's see how he does against decent competition. One half against Georgia in the championship game is impressive but not a road game at Penn state with that crowd and noise. The noise factor hampering an offensive line in a game like that cannot be underestimated.

• Forum MVP
21 hours ago, bs69 said:

Settle down, let's see how he does against decent competition. One half against Georgia in the championship game is impressive but not a road game at Penn state with that crowd and noise. The noise factor hampering an offensive line in a game like that cannot be underestimated.

So you haven’t watched Tua play? Penn state is not a good defense. Texas A&M is as good on defense as penn state. Tua has completely dominated every possession he’s been in. Bama hasn’t played the beef of their schedule yet but still completely crushed A&M, ole miss and Louisville. Only A&M has a defense but he’s been unstoppable. Not sure how you think OSU’s QB played decently. I thought it was a horrible job. All he did was throw screen passes that went for big yards vs a bad defense. He looked completely lost.  It could be urban Meyer who looks lost in tough games. Superior talent comes through late in games bjt no way that osu team could stay with bama. Penn state could if mcsorley played like that. Penn states defense is average at best though. 

Archived