A band I saw last night

Rude

• Forum MVP

Thought this would be a fun thread to talk about any type of live music you saw recently non Dso since there’s a review section for that and to allow people to suggest good bands. I’ll gst it started. Just did a 3-show widespread panic run in Nashville. Was a fantastic time. It doesn’t heal my soul like dead, but I met a lot of cool people and looked around Sunday night and behind me was someone I saw on Dso west coast summer tour. It’s harder rockin jams but jimmy herring is just phenomenal and the new drummer is outstanding. The gf thoroughly enjoyed it even though she recognized maybe 6 songs the whole weekend. Think she really digs the harder rock jams. Thinking back she really gets blown away by loud hard rockin dead jams like TOO.  I think I’ll make it a point to add 6 or so panic shows a year to the rotation.  Think deadco just dropped out of the rotation. Even with panic not resonating like the dead, we had a better time than at the deadco shoreline shows and at a better price. Think my rotation will be Dso, JRAD and panic, prioritized in that order. The gf used her reasoning skills to get us to add night 3 like “I don’t have to work until afternoon Tuesday” or “tickets are being given away almost on CashorTrade” or “I don’t want to sit at home bored on a holiday”. Of course I’m used to the “wow look at the hotel price I found in Pittsburgh the night of the Dso show” spiel. She actually thinks that works better than “please please let’s do this show.” Started this thread out with a sweet drift. 

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

WSP is the only other band other then GD, JGB and DSO that I have done multiple day runs even over multiple cities.

I too found a bunch of cool people, a few deadheads, and overall a very good time but the same lack of healing, especially after about the 10th time seeing them. Of course the other bands aged much differently for me.

Exception would be parasite that found its way inside me in Birmingham but that's another story. Of course the stories and the memories are all part of the experience. 

This was before DSO took over my itinerary so luckily I did get to see Houser a couple of times.

• Forum MVP

I did not see them last night. That is why I didn’t reference them here. I don't want to cause thread drift.

Click on my my link in the Blaze Foley thread to get a sense of why I would travel to see them back when I did travel.

Or just think back to their shows at the Ledges, or opening for DSO, or their Midwest tours, or stands in Chicago, or those summer shows back east.

• Forum MVP

Good call on Dunegrass Fest; it was a magical time. The DSO/Cornmeal situation was perfect. Watch one on the stage to the right, then pivot to the left for the other. It was a kinder, gentler fest, like a Ledges Lite with a whole lake. Of course I miss the quarry too, and I apologize for being complicit in thread drift from the original "last night" or "recently" parameter...

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Since this thread has drifted in a Cornmeal direction, I will offer that my first experience seeing them was at the ledges. They were playing the late night set and I remember wandering around the trails after the DSO set and hearing the craziest bluegrass version of Pink Floyd's "Sheep" coming through the trees. I found my way down to the stage and am forever grateful I did.

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

Since I have unwittingly taken this thread in a direction that defies logic and proportion I will say I danced as joyfully at that Cornmeal set as at any show I have attended. That ‘Sheep’ was a psychedelic jamgrass masterpiece. I’m glad it led you back to the stage! 

For the faithful:

• Forum MVP

Cornmeal was indeed a favorite band. Travel to see them? Yes, I would, especially in the years that Allie was playing that fast fiddle.  I think it was at Scott's wake in Chicago that Chuck and I first heard them. Apparently Cornmeal is now on the shelf or maybe just the back burner for now. A little search revealed they had a couple shows this past spring but nothing on their schedule right now.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Romantic Balladier. Does that make your stomach turn? Maybe no. This wasn’t Easy Cheese. 

I had good fun on Friday. Firstly, the Knight Tbeater also known as the Belk Theater is acoustically outstanding and a great 2,000 capacity theater designed in mid century style in downtown Charlotte, My video sound  is crisp and has depth. I went along trusting my friend’s good judgement to see Chris Isaak. Now I am familiar with “Wicked Game ” but believe it or not, never seen that sultry video filmed on Kawai and knew that his music associated with David Lynch.  So I have to say that , man that guy can croon, has a funny sense of humor, and commands a falsetto that would turn a cannoli inside out. He covered Elvis, Roy Orbison and .Phil Phillips. FYI The musicians were just ok.  And..... people got up to dance. So weird...

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I saw Dead Reckoning play the night after I caught Dark Star in Atlantic City this summer. Not perfect, not polished, but a great night of music nonetheless. Two guys on acoustic guitars and a keyboardist. Nothing but Dead. A small crowd that all seemed to know each other well. I was the new guy they welcomed with open arms. Beautiful music that is still stuck in my head, wonderful people, great conversation with perfect strangers. The next morning, I took myself out to breakfast at the airport diner in Ocean City, New Jersey. When I was leaving, an older fella was setting up out front to play for the people waiting to be seated. He was strumming a ukulele, playing songs from the twenties and thirties. He opened with ‘ in the jailhouse now’. Most of what he played either Jerry had played or sounded like something they could have but never got around to it. I listen to him for about an hour. ....in the strangest of places, if you look at it right.

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

I saw him at Wanee 2 years ago. He sat in with WSP and Mule and a ton of other acts plus his band played multiple sets and they played on a stage trailer that drove through the campground and there was a train of people dancing and following it. Was the first I’d ever heard of him but he could tear it up 

• Forum MVP

I saw Holly Bowling last night in Ardmore, PA. Fucking sick! I'm a keyboard player and i dream of being able to do what she does. What a journey, opening with Help>Slip and closing with Slip>Franklin's. The middle of the sandwich was wonderful. I didn't know any of the phish songs but they were fun to hear on piano. Highlights for me were the HSF, cassidy, big weather report suite, brokedown palace....feel like I'm missing something else too but it was all good. I'll see her again.

• Like (+1) 4

• Forum MVP

I liked her but having a band is definitely the way to go. Solo piano has limited appeal to me with dead music. I like dead for all that’s happening musically and limiting it to 1 instrument doesn’t do it for me more than a YouTube video.