A band I saw last night

Rude

• 2 months later...
  • Forum MVP

I saw Ghost Light- Tom Hamilton band with Holly Bowling et al at the small theater  Visulite in Charlotte with about 300. The show first set was all originals. 4/5 I enjoyed. The songs take on the architecture of JRAD song flow with rockin periods moving into spacey thoughtful spaces. I believe one was completely improv.- at least the entrance it seemed.  The slide guitar played reminded me of “Wicked Games” . Another reminded me of Radiolarians 2 MMW which gets two thumbs up from me. It was fun to see what Tom H do his own thing and definitely took you into those jam band places spaces with ease. It was a fun excursion if you get the chance. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

After Sxhool Special

( w banjo and mandolin and flute) 

songselection - somewhat in order 

Thats What Love Will Make You Do Franklins Come On To The House  Mele Kamilikimaka  Keep On Truckin Mama Spinning Wheel  Sugaree

Harder They Come 

Deal- Son of a Preachet Man Hey Pocky Way-> When the Saints -Come Marching Jan > pocky Way. Summertime Crosscut Saw   Blue Christmas Midnight Moonlight  

Eyes Are you expreienced Rock Around the Christmas Tree Back on the Train Little Wing -> Shade Grove  

little dummer boy

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Dead on Live at The Capitol Theatre play their "Wonderland 74" show last night, accompanied with a smaller scale replica wall of sound. Fun show, good band. They were very happy to be playing The Cap for the first time. 

Set List:

1: Promised Land, Sugaree, Truckin' > Drums > Drums/Bass > Other One > Cryptical reprise, China > Rider, Casey Jones, Stella Blue, 1/2 Step

2: UJB, Eyes > Playin', Dew, BioDtL, Scarlet, OMSN

E: Sugar Mags > AWBYGN

Edited by izaacb
  • Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

Garcia Birthday Band a couple weekends ago in Portland...they fill the gap quite nicely. Caught last two of a 7 night run (all free shows!)

final night did the trick:

Set 1;

Uncle Johns, Stranger, I'll Take a Melody, Ballad of a Thin Man, Me and My Uncle, That's Alright Mama, Lools Like Rain, When Push Comes to Shove>Touch of Grey

Set 2;

Morning Dew, Cryptical>Terrapin>Cryptical> Corinna>Black Peter>Dear Mr Fantasy>Hey Jude>Cats Down Under Stars>Another Saturday Night

E: Ripple 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
29 minutes ago, Island Bro said:

Garcia Birthday Band a couple weekends ago in Portland...they fill the gap quite nicely. Caught last two of a 7 night run (all free shows!)

final night did the trick:

Set 1;

Uncle Johns, Stranger, I'll Take a Melody, Ballad of a Thin Man, Me and My Uncle, That's Alright Mama, Lools Like Rain, When Push Comes to Shove>Touch of Grey

Set 2;

Morning Dew, Cryptical>Terrapin>Cryptical> Corinna>Black Peter>Dear Mr Fantasy>Hey Jude>Cats Down Under Stars>Another Saturday Night

E: Ripple 

That 2nd set looks like good clean fun - WOW!  Wish I woulda been there with 'ya Huck....

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

saw 2 nights of hyryder this weekend. Set 1 of night 2 is one of the best crafted sets I’ve ever seen. These guys transition phenomenally well. Very creative and so tight. To me the mark of a great dead band is how they transition and jam and they have it down. Show starts at the 15:00 mark. Listen to at least the 1st 40 minutes. Won’t tell the setlist but it’s a doozy and the jams are off the charts. Good soundboard even though the one on their Facebook is a little better quality but this is still great. Indy has a solid dead scene and these guys sell out in town. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Indy does have a Grateful Dead bar with a stealie logo and prob 500 people were at the mousetrap last night. Not many towns have bars that identify with the dead or incorporate dead icons in their logos.  Unfortunately the closest I get to a local dead band is when hyryder comes to Evansville. Nashville has the stolen faces who play once a week but they aren’t near the same level as hyryder. These guys for being weekend warriors are fantastic and very original. For the bands I’ve seen dead related for me it’s dso, JRAD and hyryder moving up on the inside. That 1st set I posted is all female related songs lol. The viola>schoolgirl>Bertha was amazing and I was sipping on my 1st hopslam pretty much stone cold sober and my face got melted. I realize it’s the music that scrambles your brain and even though the misconception is that deadheads dance so crazy because they are on something, the reality is that the music makes us lose control. 

• Like (+1) 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP
2 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Has  anybody seen Dark Side of the Dead? 

Yes - couple times.  Cosmic Charlie has been playing really well over the last year or so.  I caught this show a couple weeks ago and it was straight fire - really good time. 

34 minutes ago, DesertDead said:

Yeah, on 3/14/93 in Richfield.  🤣

Yeah - that was a little rough although Jerry would have a good swing south and a refreshing summer and fall.  The silver lining of the cancelled show the night before was I randomly met Bobby + Phil (only time) and one epic party at the Holiday Inn - crazy times!

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

We got a great local dead bar/venues. Several own by some guys in Denver and they used to have one in boulder maybe still do. Beonkeys has different local dead music and smaller nationally touring dead bands regularly. The poster/memorabilia collection in beonkeys and Sanchos In unreal. 

Jgb playing there end of March unfortunately or fortunately however you look at it Dso is doing Florida and that’s where we will be. 

• Forum MVP

There is a tour going round called “Live Dead ‘69”   Not sure who is involved but it falls on a day I’ve already scheduled off so I plan on Checking it out. They are playing the same venue DSO plays when they come to Louisville. 

I looked it it up and it’s Tom Constanten, Mark Karan, Robin Sylvester, Slick Aguilar (Starship) and JGBs drummer and jay lane are splitting drum duties. Not sure if this is still the lineup but it was when the tour started in ‘17

• Like (+1) 1

Dead On Live @ Keswick Theater Glenside PA last night. DSO size venue 2k they had a good size crowd maybe 1200 ?  They were just ok

The song  and lead transitions were clunky and they lacked a cohesiveness you’d expect for 35$ I might see them at a smaller place for a 10$ cover

the female vocal seemed out of place in the band as she would ackwardly look for direction to stay on stage or leave.  It really made me appreciate the  high level craftsmanship and artistry DSO consistently provides. 

• Forum MVP

A band I would like to check out is Pink Talking Fish. That combination of covers and the resulting set lists push most of my musical buttons. And at around $20.00 to $25.00 per ticket (not counting fees etc etc etc) the price is right for upcoming SoCal shows. We will see...