Blaze Foley

Ammagamalin Crew

• Forum MVP

Anybody here heard Lucinda's "Drunken Angel" would know of Blaze Foley. Also if you're into Townes Van Zandt (not for everyone). There is a new Ethan Hawke movie that will hopefully be at a theater called "Blaze" Check out the Blaze 2018 movie trailer. Here is what was posted  about last night's premier :

Ethan Hawke’s film Blaze, with q/a after, played to a sold-out house at Nash’s Belcourt Theatre last night. I quite recommend it; Nashville may be the first city outside of Texas to receive a screening.

Alynda Segarra (sp?) from Hurrah for the Riff Raff sings “Drunken Angel” over the closing credits, with Lu duly listed as songwriter as the credits are ending. It’s a fine job; Alynda also plays Blaze’s sister.

Hawke brought up Lucinda’s name in the course of the q/a session, in the context of pointing out how many singer/songwriters he wanted to involve in the film.

Gurf Morlix portrays a character by the name of Gurf.

Hawke didn’t give Charlie Sexton many drunken or comic scenes as Townes Van Zandt, which pleased me. There is some of that, but mainly Sexton is framed reflecting on Blaze to a radio DJ, shortly after Blaze’s death. And I’m afraid “a senseless bar altercation” is not how it went down; let’s give Lu the same license in song intros maybe that she has for the penning of the lyrics themselves.

Kris Kristofferson has maybe four words in a hospital scene as Blaze’s father, but oh boy it’s him.

Blaze’s girlfriend/wife Sybil is every bit as intriguing a character as Blaze. Her source book and co-screenwriter status are evident, without seeming self-serving. Both leads did some fine acting.

I wish I had seen the documentary by Kevin Triplett which preceded this fiction/dramatization by a few years.

• Forum MVP

I’m a tiny bit familiar with Townes van zandt so decided to listen a little more this morning and it made me guzzle a pint of whiskey and as I was taking a bite of cereal  his music made me put a lighter under a full spoon of honey bunches of oats and then I snorted it. And I’m in a happy mood. I do not recommend listening if you aren’t in a positive mindset. I went from feeling great to neutrally depressed in 45 minutes. 

Archived