Spam defense caught another one

Taper Ron

While not infallible, the   Spam Defense feature does a pretty good job of catching spammers before they get in.  Most of the time I don't have to do anything, they are automatically banned (depending on there "Spam score).

This one name   "Виктория" (Like that wouldn't raise a flag) only had a score of 2.  Виктория translates to Victoria.  While suspicious i thought "well, it is possible to have fans n Russia".  Preliminary searches didn't find anything about the username or email address and the IP is for St Petersburg, RU - It seemed that they weren't trying to hide the fact.. And then, I did a search on just gotmail.com, stopforumspam.com 's database showed over 36.000  results.  hasta la vista, Baby (arnold voice).

Hi Taper Ron,
A new user has registered at DSO Forums.

Before this member can post, an administrator will need to approve the account via the AdminCP.

Display Name:

Виктория

Email Address:

*******t@gotmail.com

IP Address:

Website URL:

My DSO Shows:

Go to Виктория's profile

— DSO Forums

I know some of you remember the early days of the forums.  Without going into a (too much of) a history lesson, we have come a long way Voyforums free but ad based, mostly adverisements and Nasty Trolls, next PHPBB3 much better, free, no advertisement but not many security features - tons of spams! 

So we decided to go with Invision Power Board a paid forum that had better security features (harder for spambots to register, requiring admin approval and email verification).  Still there were days when I had to ban as many as 300 attempts a day.

Through the years IPB has improved on security and the registration process to where Admin approval is no longer necessary (In most cases).  Spambots just don't get through, occasionally a spammer will get past and I am warned (like today).  Less frequently one will sneak in and post When this happens I really appreciate being told about it.

Speaking of Security  I will be upgrading to the latest version (I'm two behind) that include a security patch.  I will do it late tonight (about midnight Eastern time)  we will be offline for a few minutes while I back up the databases for the Forums and Starbase and install the upgrade.

• Forum MVP

Those early days were glorious!!!

The changeover from DNC to the first iteration here was exciting. We had a board of our own! Then between the spammers, the haters (and the later incursions from the Phil Zone), and the trolls there were few dull moments.

Once more from the bottom of my heart, thank you Ron! 

Did Vicky leave a number?

• Forum MVP
28 minutes ago, Rude said:

I’ve never really looked at the Phil Zone. Is it all troll heaven?

It's definitely a much different sandbox than this place!  The Phil Zone is actually no more - it's been replaced with a facsimile of it's former self which, while plenty trollish and drama-laden, is a far-cry from it's previous savagery. 

Archived