I don’t want to know the show!

• Forum MVP

WTF? I was looking thru the tour schedule and almost cried to see listings of “hints” of what show it will be based on region and ANOTHER preannounced exact show date this year. 

Who are y’all trying to please? I know there are fuckers who won’t even show up if it’s not one of “their favorite” years and I have never thought of those people as actually deadicated- more like spoiled fucking brats! I love when it is an 80s or 90s bc DSO does it sooooo well! 

Now y’all are giving more and more hints of what’s up- and now I will have to listen to more idiots yelling out the next song and ruining THE GAME of DSO and my moments with the music with their know it all deader than thou BS and they get to feel COOL for it? Ugh. 

Guess what? I have NEVER listened to a pre announced show before the show (remember when it was barely once a year they announced it for a very special shows? if I had known we were allowing a dangerous precedent then I woulda hollared bout this then instead of giving silent consent).

the people who are just trying to relive their GD memories and feel all good inside about what show they are attending are forgetting that DSO is OUR GD today. Those fucks can go see their Johnny boys and have their canned party.....

but DSO is NOT supposed to be a canned party. One of the BIG reasons y’all are sooooo successful right now in this moment is that lovely element of surprise and nostalgia mixed with just exactly perfect proportions. Telling people what’s coming and trying to lure locals (is that the plan?) with regional show promises has a large likelihood that people will say “oh! That’s what they are doing so I don’t need to go, I can just stay home and listen to that show from the Dead” and BAM, people aren’t interested bc the surprise is gone. Don’t make me say the thrill is gone from this kind of announcement.

there is NOTHING like being at DSO and authentically from your heart realizing what show it is. 

Please don’t take this away from us! To me, this is literally a “sell out” move to make bucks and I don’t even think it will do that- I think it will make ppl picky and spoiled and not show up. And we already have the surviving members using this music like a mama’s tit- unlike DSO who has always held the torch for the SAKE of the MUSIC! Please don’t sell out like the other ones did after Jerry. My lil heart can’t take it.

we are close to the end of the most horrific year of my life and he is almost able to get around without crutches and I am SUPER excited to come HOME to DSO this fall but since silent is consent I want to register my (probably ill received and only me) complaint about these hints that real STAR HEADS have NEVER needed to support y’all all these years. 

Please, remember why we love you and do THAT! And NEVER stop! Who the hell got in yalls ear and made you decide this is GOOD? It doesn’t even look more professional- it looks like money grubbing. Please, no.

but whatever you do, y’all are my family I didn’t get to choose- so I will ALWAYS be here. No matter what. But I don’t have to like every corporate decision and don’t think I am the only forums fan that feels this way- I remember age old discussions about this exact topic on these forums and I never thought we said it was cool to announce and hint regularly.

Is it gonna get to where they announce originals? Please, stop bf it comes to that!

Y’all gonna kill your ticket sales if you strip away THE DSO GAME.

You will just be another cover band if this keeps up! 

I want you to always be the only band that does what you do!

kiss kiss, imma bitch and don’t deserve an opinion bc I have only been to ONE show all fucking year but if u know me u know this isn’t by choice and that I have actually grown into a lovely, strong willed woman that takes care of business like a mother fucker but goddamn please please please don’t have all these hints and preannouncements!

Pretty please with roses on top?

kiss kiss

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

right? So we walk in knowing the region and looking at stage we see era..... what’s much left to guess at? NO FUN!

Also, I just realized that I don’t get to feel in touch by knowing by the tour thus far when the original is coming.... now I can just look at the tour dates and see what’s not already announced and assume at least half of those will be originals. 

Gross.

if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Tell the new kids that told y’all to do this that we all been fine watching u ppl play more shows than the dead ever did all these years and we don’t want to just throw away what made y’all great- that perfect blend of surprise and nostalgia! 

Why buy the cow if u get the milk for free? U know? 

kiss kiss

• Forum MVP

I don’t think they’re selling out.They never have, and never will. Like it or not DSO is an LLC, and they have people that make decisions like the ones you refer to based on a marketing business model. They have to appeal to a more widespread audience, and not just to us hardcore Starheads The days of us seeing them with a couple hundred like minded people are long gone. I’m sure they aren’t doing this on a whim.They’ve done their research. I’m just happy that we still have them, in any way, shape, or form. Time is a stripper. Peace sister.

• Forum MVP

Actually, my not deadhead boyfriend firmly believes that it doesn’t make sense to go see em if we already know what’s gonna be played. So it’s not just the heads. And I think the whole band gets a say in such policies- thus my heartfelt appeals.

what research? The research that shows they are kicking ass and taking names all over the fucking country and tour harder than most bands ever? The research that made the boys steal John bc they were literally jealous of ticket sales? (Too soon? Nah, I think this is now public knowledge)

maybe selling out was a strong term. But if they are changing what we love about em bc their new manager or Walther or whoever want more money...... I guess we all gotta eat? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Us GD purists will always prefer it unannounced, fresh, and classical DSO- It’s why we been here thus far. Faces change but the VALUES and MOTIVATIONS should NOT be tarnished. The model of dead marketing of feeding the family and the rest follows is not the same as the biz models that Trump uses. So....... please please please please please take it back and say it ain’t so.

From the heart of me, I love y’all. 

• Forum MVP

I get the perspectives. I was going to say “both sides” but truly there’s no one to compete. I understand why we never got a TN tour. I was always grateful when they’d do one at Mexicali because of non-competition clauses. I understand.

But God damn it, the purist in me, the aged Starhead, wants originals. He want to see the mics on the stage after soundcheck and if one is carried off. He wants to see the drum set up.

And he loves hearing people ask what show it is after Lisa has been on stage for Liberty.

• Forum MVP

You obviously don’t get marketing because the redrocks show sold out because of the show it was. Half the FB comments said “this is one of my fav shows. We have to go.” I was also at the Anthem show and people were talking about being at that DC show. The marketing works. Technically everything is “selling out” because most people have bills they have to pay. Very few people want to work but we do it because we sell out our souls to pay bills, take care of our families, and travel as much as we can. Sorry the worst year of your life is because your boyfriend has a cast on. Don’t worry. It will get much worse than that. If you think your worst years are in your 20’s.......just wait. 

• Forum MVP

Wow, so much to digest. One of my least enjoyed Dark Star shows was in Baltimore, Rams Head New Year’s Eve. They had announced that it would be a recreation of a new years show. That wasn’t a problem as I have always kept myself uninformed enough so as to maintain a childlike innocence and excitement to this whole Grateful Dead/ Dark Star Orchestra thing. That is getting extremely difficult after close to forty years upon my head. I must say, it does work as the first time I ever heard Gomorrah was when DSO played it this summer in Dewey. I take it as it comes, not anxious to peel away the layers of the onion. That’s my journey. Anyway, that New Years show was disappointing not cuz it was announced but because my neice’s Boy friend told me the year at set break and proceeded to rattle off the rest of the nights set list. That sucked. A lot. All these years later, these latest announced shows have me perplexed. The DC area show, if it’s RFK ‘90, I wouldn’t miss it for anything. Knowing would get me to go. It’s complicated, for sure, but we gotta trust DSO and let them do what they want. They have the advantage of insight and knowledge over us fans out in the crowd. They’ve done real damn good so far and I am betting that continues. 

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, Rude said:

You obviously don’t get marketing because the redrocks show sold out because of the show it was. Half the FB comments said “this is one of my fav shows. We have to go.” I was also at the Anthem show and people were talking about being at that DC show. The marketing works. Technically everything is “selling out” because most people have bills they have to pay. Very few people want to work but we do it because we sell out our souls to pay bills, take care of our families, and travel as much as we can. Sorry the worst year of your life is because your boyfriend has a cast on. Don’t worry. It will get much worse than that. If you think your worst years are in your 20’s.......just wait. 

Making more money is great. Sacrificing what one is at essence to do so is selling out. I think these hints and more and more announcements on tour page take away from that essence. You are allowed to disagree....

BUT:

Why u gotta be a personal asshole to me, dickweed?

if u were my family u would know what’s up and those on here that are, do... actually, what ever happened to us? Thanks for those that asked and listened to what is really up bc I’m glad we still have us. It’s just us. Always. Kiss kiss to yalll....

But rude, it has little to do with a foot, so fuck off. The things you don’t know about would burn off both your little sheltered ears.

and I’m not 20, duh! Who the fuck are you? Show up a few years ago kissing ass and acting like you are king of the world. And not seeing DSO is very fucking low on why this real life year sux though those that KNOW me know that it makes my heart cry every goddamn day.

im actually kinda sick of a lot of the pretentious, snobby ass shit some people been pulling lately. Loving something means speaking out when you feel it’s not living up to what you love. And doing what you think is right. Glad many of us do so.

go listen to another dope show. And make sure not to ever help a stranger or a street musician and make sure to tell everyone how hard you work and how much you make and how perfect you are. 

imma keep on touring my fave band and posting here til this shit don’t exist, so please, keep being Rude, and I will keep being the useless shameless beggar piece of shit bitch that will always have been right here. 

Don't ever think that you can personally attack someone on here without them coming back at you. I ain’t a hippie or a yuppie, I’m a fucking dead head that tours DSO and I speak my mind bc we uphold freedom of speech. 

Back to the music...... duh.

red rocks was special and the couple of every now n then announced shows are special. Now even that specialness will be lost and it all loses some shine. Bummer. Just my 2 cents. 

See yall all next time kiss kiss

• Forum MVP

And sorry for the strong language and all that.... time in New England will do that to the sweetest and most silly of southern belles. Lmao. It’s cold hard thin soil and rock farming up here hehe. But ya know...... I know my opinions on what DSO should do don’t matter in the least bit, but I, super grateful we have these forums to share our diverse opinions. Thanks to everyone who has been a part of it (even you, rude) and I’m happy we can all feel so passionately about this awesome band and crew.

im pretty sure DSO isn’t allowed to disappear and lose their essence and never will.........

But damn did that fall tour listing look easy for picking what’s gonna be original and kinda spoil some fun by even listing regions. Sigh. 

If I had it my way.......

great god almighty, (I mean, my sweet fellow DSO forums buddies) talk to me now! This is a topic that needs a concentrated thread since this change has been slowly morphing to more and more and is fascinating to observe and ponder.

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, chuckvegas said:

I get the perspectives. I was going to say “both sides” but truly there’s no one to compete. I understand why we never got a TN tour. I was always grateful when they’d do one at Mexicali because of non-competition clauses. I understand.

But God damn it, the purist in me, the aged Starhead, wants originals. He want to see the mics on the stage after soundcheck and if one is carried off. He wants to see the drum set up.

And he loves hearing people ask what show it is after Lisa has been on stage for Liberty.

The best show ever was an original I thought was a show....... sneakiness is part of their charm!

I love originals and would tour TN in a fucking heart beat!

But I know there are only a few of us that feel this way. And it’s been pretty cool seeing what they have stretched the rules to include over the years in song selection for originals and fillers. Best music teachers I ever had. And Doc and Jesse lmao. 

Doc, Leon Russell came on radio when we were w jesses dad the other day and we told him about how Jesse recognized your tape right away bc his dad had ingrained such music in him. Pops liked that a lot. Still sad we couldn’t ride for that spring tour....... you’re the freaking best!

• Forum MVP

Remember when we had people who cared instead of a nasty junior high troll posting here and taking up all the space? I actually am pretty sure Rude is a troll spy sent from phill n Bob to demoralize and weaken us as a community. Have you ever seen him be kind? Have ya ever heard him give a fuck except when wanting to tear others down? I and others that have contacted me since his war against me began last spring actually can barely stand reading them these forums anymore bc of this one person..... the fucking idiot robot that goes by rude.

i actually think I’m older than you, fuck face.

im posting this bc of continued support of the family that made these forums great. 

Can rude please be banned? Sign my petition by liking this post!

i mean, at least slap the nasty fuck on the wrist and don’t treat him like a goddamn golden boy cause oh isn’t it so nice he has so many posts?

I’m pretty sure the decline in regular postings from the rest of us correlate with Rudes takeover of the forums. So we all go away and just let this child be our representation to the new awesome folks that come around? This prick is the face of the forums now?

Fuck him and anyone else that treats our DSO family like a fucking porta potty. 

I will eat his shit no more. 

kiss kiss 

• Forum MVP

I have a lot I could say here on the topic on kindness. I may make a longer post later. Preoccupied with making my family breakfast right now. 

However I must say that yes I have seen Rude exhibit kindness. Both to me. And shameless stranger beggars. I don’t think Rude is the man you believe him to be Steph. 

• Forum MVP

SVT,

IMHO Cut your engines and cool your wings.

On the original topic...Reality is the band is a business...in business you are either growing or going out of business.

Electives, originals, announced, half assed announced, microphones pulled 1 minute b4 show time, accidentally seeing set list, etc etc etc

Some folks would be happy just to have one dream come true.

As far as personal attacks here, as a victim of one long time ago... out of bounds.

He may be a dickweed  but he is a lovable dickered and a nuanced difference in opinion of whether 5 out of every 100 shows there is some premeditation is no reason to force personal judgements.

• Forum MVP

I never said 1 word until you attacked Dso during Jerry band tour calling the music something only junkies could enjoy. Now you are attacking them again calling them sellouts. Do you actually read what you write?? Serious? I won’t let anyone attack the band I love. I’ve gone after trolls on Facebook for the same thing. I’ve never said anything but positive words about Dso. U can read every post I’ve made. Not 1 negative word about the band EVER. How dare u call me a troll. You are the one attacking what Dso is doing not me. 

6 minutes ago, Teacher Matt said:

Read how  August West Greg responded to Steph

Then read How rude responded to Steph

If you don't see the difference from one respect response to one total disrespect response I have no place for you

Sorry Matt I have no patience for people who put down DSO. I have no patience for people who are given free tickets after other friends beg the band for people to get put on guest list and they don’t show when they are right there. 

Matt did you read where she said Dso was money grubbing. But I’m disrespectful. Are u guys on another planet than me???

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Mason's Child said:

I have a lot I could say here on the topic on kindness. I may make a longer post later. Preoccupied with making my family breakfast right now. 

However I must say that yes I have seen Rude exhibit kindness. Both to me. And shameless stranger beggars. I don’t think Rude is the man you believe him to be Steph. 

So please ask your buddy to stop attacking me on a personal level with bullshit fabricated assumptions so we can keep it fun? Please?  

Also, I don’t think he is allowed to hypothesize on ticket sources on these forums...... that’s actually not allowed, right?

FYI All of my DSO tix have been miracles one way or another since I paid twice for the sold out show my first time ever. Because I belong here.

i share my heart w y’all and when I choose to be a lil private I get attacked by this fool who has never been anything but a dick to me. That’s cool. He doesn’t have to like me.

but attacking my personal life isn’t allowed. Assuming bullshit about tickets is worse. Gross, bro!

and we are allowed to have our opinions about this music without being personal fuck tards about it. It’s all subjective and we all love it but this is not the place for people who just wanna lick assholes and pretend people are Gods. We are all fucking human and we are an awesome family...... u are just the most annoying little brother I have ever met.

you need a good ol fashioned spankin, Rude.

• Forum MVP

Don’t attack the band and I’ll never say 1 word again. It’s a simple proposition. You call them sellouts or say junkies are the only ones that could enjoy their show and you will see me pop up. 

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Supplicated Velvet Thunder said:

....Sign my petition by liking this post!....

Both Rude and SVT are good friends. One of the things I like about both of them is that they are both very out spoken. Sometimes I have a playful "argument" with Rude, disagreeing with him just to spur on a discussion. One of the fun times was when I was with Rude and Chris. Rude was fussing with SVT across the forum. I was texting back and forth with SVT without Rude knowing I was doing that and at the same time talking with Rude. I forget the details but I think I was throwing sticks into their campfire from both directions.  After several minutes Chris realised what I was up to.  Rude probably did not know until now what I was doing.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

I have known Steph since she first appeared at DSO shows. Traveled, hung out, shared highs and lows, were there for each other on far more than one occasion. 

The lyric “Dead to the core” has been bastardized and has been given a meaning totally opposite its original intention. But in the positive sense she truly is just that.

Her love for this band is second to none. There are those of us who have put ourselves through a lot because of that devotion. She has lived it. Do not doubt that for one fucking second.

And to love something does not mean one cannot speak a word born out of pain and sorrow.

• Forum MVP

It is hilarious to me and everyone that knows me that you would ever see my opinions as attacking DSO. 

I literally have had no other motivation or base drive behind my life cept seeing them since the first time and have arranged my entire life (at that time I was running 35 companies) and “I left my job my home my cat and now I make dough in my hat, Lordy what would Mama say?” That’s a quote from a song I wrote in New Orleans. 

Im super lame like that. I totally just quit this bullshit y’all keep claiming is real life to live on street corners and parking lots and in the woods with my family.

im sorry you are a zombie in a cage repeating robotic praises so someone will notice you. Good luck kiddo. 

The last 10 years been good to me and to DSO. I will always be yalls lil stupid silly unicorn and most of y’all still see me as ms deviled egg. 

Now I am playing music Jesse and I write together- broken foot has been a blessing for this. We are moving toward having our own band even though the music studio and store we were bout to buy got taken out by a tornado a few weeks ago. Fuck sticks. 

But it’s cool- he been seeing DSO since before me and was at that legendary LoLo hot springs show bc he played the same fest. He found out he was having a son during TN Jed at Janis Landing. Chic walked out w the stick in her hand lmao. 

So so we are both long time lovers of this band even though neither of us is technically even a dead head. He is a musician and I’m a star head and labels are fun.

I have watched so many changes from DSO and they ALL break my heart and we always evolve. I know we grow up. But I miss the good ol days even though they are better than they ever were right now. Those announcements gaining frequency break my heart. But we will survive.

kiss kiss

no more fighting until next time I get attacked

i fucking love you doc- someone’s gotta keep us warm ;)

chuckles...... ohhhhhhh chuckles...... I will always call u my tour dad and feel a lil dirty bout it bwahahaha thanks for the kind words

but seriously...... keep preannouncements minimum please?

• Forum MVP

"I love what I love and I want it that way!"  Damn Right :wub: 

I was/am 100% against any pre-announcement or hint about what's comin.  While the DSO game is a pretty small part of what I love about the experience, it's still a little more than just a cherry on the sundae to me.

Most of us are not big fans of change, and I'd say I hang on longer than most do.  Given the extreme dedication of the band to the cause of this music (if there's such a thing) and what 'it' takes to continue to make 'IT' happen year after year, I've got to trust their process - even if I don't like it.  While if it ain't broke don't fix it, if they feel they need to preview offerings from time-to-time (or want to try to see how it goes), I'm behind DSO and management if it keeps this mutha rollin!   I hope it has the positive impact they are looking for as DSO deserves nothing but good things!

Can we try not to sink each others battleships, please?   We're all gonna need each other if we're lucky enough to get through.

Archived