I don’t want to know the show!

• Forum MVP

Drama and ego.....  this thread is full of It.  Someone pops up because they get to brag about how devoted they are. Whatever, man. Sorry you got that  to drag around, that chip on your shoulder. I llove DSO. So do you. But Let’s all get a measuring stick out and figure out who is the.coolest? NOOO.... Glad you have great memories. Let’s be thankful for when the bus rolled/ rolls by and you get on. Let’s let the mother roll. How expanded can our hearts and minds get? Well the above isn’t the way. 

Furthermore I don’t think apologizing for something and then making an excuse why you do it works. It’s BS. You choose to do it/ act a way and find an excuse for your behavior? Let’s all sin and then repent on Sunday. Get real., your only cheating yourself. .... Making ultimatums about someone’s character doesn’t cut it either. Throwing stones. Why? Why choose to muck up your space/ our space ? Keep your ego and hang ups out of it. Get out of reaction and see the real kernel, the real gift - it’s there. Do you feel better by comparing yourself to others - that’s empty. 

We are all  pieces of glass in a stained glass window. Only when seen together does the picture take on a deeper meaning. While stand alone pieces or collections of color are pretty, but the glass only reveals itself when it lets light shine through. 

I know- you are thinking  PG is on a tangent - heard it before - well - I don’t walk the regular path. 

Love and peace. 

PS- I think GD sets got predictable and kinda boring  at times when I saw them live over those tour years.! How lucky are we DSO has the musical talent to play anything they want, from any time period and nail it. Some of you are already spoiled to have seen so many of the songs in the GD repertoire - varying from night to night. I love the shit out of seeing the amazing tunes I scrambled scoured and spent $$ I didn’t have  on tapes, thrilled to find a live album like Shrine 1967. The wealth of music available  is mind boggling!! You fuckers are lucky. Hope you see some shows this tour. I am grateful I’ll get my one. :-). 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Juicy discussion. I love DSO, and I also don't think it is inappropriate to state one's opinions that relate to the band or to the music, even if those opinions are somewhat critical.

This board doesn't need to always be one big sycophantic pander to DSO - if that is your trip though, have at it.

I LOVE DSO !!    😎

As for pre-announcing shows.....I am not a fan of it. For some reason, this is happening routinely in DC area shows (Walther effect?)

I MUCH prefer the perceived randomness of going into the venue cold......and then being surprised.

That being said...….see everyone at The Anthem on 12/1.

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, Teacher Matt said:

Read how  August West Greg responded to Steph

Then read How rude responded to Steph

If you don't see the difference from one respect response to one total disrespect response I have no place for you

Since I have knowledge of all parties involved...

August West response was as I expect

Rude response was as I expected 

both in content and tone...no inconsistencies to past posts

Steph...not so much

7 hours ago, Teacher Matt said:

• Forum MVP

All of this talk has reminded me of something that happened to me in third grade, probably 1969 or ‘70. I was riding the school bus home from elementary school. The bus driver pulled the bus over on the side of the road and stood up and faced all of us kids. He calmly said,’ I hear you guys talking and you are putting each other down. The only reason you’re doing it is to make yourselves look better. I want you to stop talking to each other that way.’ He sat down and started driving the bus again. ....in the strangest of places....

I wanted to start a thread on this very topic as soon as the schedule came out, but have been feeling a little persona non grata since offending Eaton and Barraco after the McCarter theater show in spring 2018.  

I LOVE that they are giving some information about the show.  I wish they would do it every time.  I am not a tour head.  I take my fixes when I can get them.  It's not easy to get out that much with two little ones and a full and fulfilling life at home.  I am not a fan of DSO original setlists.  Seen a half dozen or so now and none have turned the trick.  It's hard to get out.  When I am able to make the commitment and my hopes and dreams of transcendence are dashed by an original setlist (or even worse a '69 recreation)....it just HURTS so bad.  I realize that many say that I am not remaining open-minded or open-hearted.  There is an element of truth to that for sure.  I have listened to enough early Dead to know what that is about, and have seen and read through enough DSO original setlists to know what those are about.  I love what I love.....

I am eyeing up the New Year's Run, as always.  If I knew which would be original vs a recreation.....Oh BOY that would be amazing.  Who needs the guess work?  A guaranteed night of transcendence (yes.....DSO is that good when they are recreating that I am comfortable using the word guarantee)....versus a night of letdown.  Please, Please, Please........provide this type of information for every show of every tour.  

I understand why this is not appealing to others. For me, while there are some treasured shows that I know and love as well as the lines on my hands.......I cannot guess at least 90% of the shows.  I am just not that type of person.  I drink it up and stay in the moment as best I can.  Stats, dates, and cities just don't stick that well with me.  I've been seeing, playing, and listening to this music my whole life and I can talk about every nuance of every song with the best of them.  But when you put it in the context of a specific show or date, I wish I was better at that.  That's my long winded way of saying that teasing original vs recreation will not ruin the element of surprise for me.  I would say to keep the element of surprise for those of you who know the content of every show very well.....they should leave out the region of the original show.   

I suggested that they do this on an earlier post of mine and could not be happier to see it.  I have been convinced that they shy away from doing this out of fear that ticket sales for recreations would far outweigh originals.  I disagree a little with SVT's post.  This move shows me that they are not driven solely by ticket sales and are not afraid to let the recreations outsell the prospect of originals.  It shows that they are thinking of us all, and perhaps looking to make sure that those of us who are looking for a certain experience are guaranteed to get it.  CHEERS to DSO.  

I'll take it a step further.......give us an an era also from time to time.  I know that I am well in the minority on this forum.  However, in the larger community, I am not the only one who prefers to hear 1971 through 1991.  Tell us the era also.  What's the matter with ensuring everyone who buys a ticket is satisfied and feels like their money, time, and sacrifice is well spent.  If DSO were to announce a show as 80's recreation......is that really enough information to ruin the night for anyone?  I suppose for some it it is and I understand.  

For me....announcing era and original vs recreation is the way to go.  

• Forum MVP

Well, after reading more of these posts about pre-announcement preferences...…..it would appear that the band is mixing it up with about the right recipe of tip-offs vs suspense.

As a DC guy, my only hope is that we would occasionally get more suspense thrown into the mix.

Not a complaint, by the way...….just an opinion.....can't wait for The Anthem show     😎

• Forum MVP

....and what if the Anthem show was ‘73 RFK? I have heard that show changed people forever. With the Allman Brothers. See, that would get me over the bridge to the western shore. The band actually isn’t preannouncing shows, they’re just adding suspense. 

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

....and what if the Anthem show was ‘73 RFK? I have heard that show changed people forever. With the Allman Brothers. See, that would get me over the bridge to the western shore. The band actually isn’t preannouncing shows, they’re just adding suspense. 

That show would be my first choice!    

• Forum MVP

There’s 1 show out there that I can list the whole 2nd set in order off the top of my head. I may know songs that will be played in othwr shows but the rest is just gobblygook. My brain doesn’t remember setlists and I don’t look up the setlist before a show so it doesn’t matter all that much to me. I see the tour dates. I didn’t even know that they announced any others but to say the Anthem was a DC show. That doesn’t narrow it down much unless you are Tea, John A, Found or a few other dead computers. If they tell every show, then maybe we can have a discussion but as it is I’ve seen maybe 2 a year preannounced out of 100 and the only ones with preannouncements were a 9500 capacity venue and 6000 one. 

• Forum MVP

Every region has its history and emotes its own vibe. There are nuances the casual visitor might never understand. The Grateful Dead show is a ceremony or a ritual;  if one grasps for the gold ring, the magic is there. As the Dead revisited a place, they built on their narrative of experience playing in that space. Perhaps, the iconic shows being played regionally give us a glimpse into the deep connections burnished and forged. I felt it at Red Rocks.... that show was much more than on paper. 

• Forum MVP

Yeah, PG, I know I scare the shit outta ya bc I’m not PG, but rather X rated most days. It’s cool. Most people down south look at me exactly like you do, so it doesn’t offend me a bit.

but what’s sweet is celebrating where we come from, just like where we are going. I know it was before your time, but when I first got on these forums I ALSO made my first post a poem to DSO and lived working in the same state you do. I often think of u as who I would be if I had never quit that job and it makes me happy. Love the sunny perspective, my time in New England has made me a bit gruff, as I explained...... but dick measuring competitions are one of my favorites cause my pissin n spitting n measurements usually beat the dudes that make the mistake of playing this w me. I had brothers. It’s not drama and ego..... Rude is rude to me and deserves a spanking and I will maintain that if he continues to personally attack me every time I start a thread on the forums (has happened last 2 times.....) and most ppl on here dislike him anyways so so fucking what?

Dso has already played my fave show. And actually, I really like that they blow me away on shows that I didn’t necessarily love from the GD tape. And nah, Franklin’s ain’t my fave even though I have a cool story from my buddy from Nepal/Tibet about it. I like the surprise from DSO....

Actually- first time I heard Franklin’s it was live and by the boys during their 2009 thing (everyone said I HaD to go see surviving members so I did but I just stick to DSO now lmao)and when they played Franklin’s I could NOT u derstamd what everyone was singing.... “blown away by you?” Hahahahaha..... remember the Ledges Porto potty that said “roll away the poo?” Hehehehehe

never know what show we gonna find ourselves in until we walk thru the door and then we get to watch it become more apparent and this game is why DSO is my fave thing on earth. I am a sucker for those late ‘73 and ‘74 shows from the wall of sound era..... but traditionally, I call June ‘76 my “favorite” run bc of mission. Just not as spooky w Jerry band and I like the scary mission. But I’ve seen DSO do all my faves and bring me more faves I never would have had if they hadn’t shown me the light..... like Corrina! Lmao. Fuck yeah.

i like the crunchy, discordant, fall aparty shows the best. Never know which era DSO will make sound like this though. The ones that I’m dancing and then almost falling and barely catching and it goes on and I don’t remember who or where I am. Those ones. Mmmmmmmm

still don’t wanna know which shows are gonna be originals.... and the tour list atm for New England looks pretty obvious which will be....... and that’s still fucking lame.

LOL SVT,  i was expecting a shorter answer,  but loved ur y leading up to June 76.   

I will listen thru June and 4-29-71, 5-22-77 knowing these shows reach deep.

At the Dewey show , I leaned to the women next to me and tequila embarrassed myself by saying “I don’t know what it is, but this music just fucking runs straight thru to my soul” (it was the tequila talking).  She just smiled.  

On 9/20/2018 at 9:09 PM, Mojo Hand said:

but have been feeling a little persona non grata since......

Know the feeling! I have been dog shit on someones shoe since the KC show last June.  c'est la vie.

BTW I don't see where they are giving hints what the show will be on there website.

• Forum MVP
15 hours ago, Supplicated Velvet Thunder said:

Yeah, PG, I know I scare the shit outta ya bc I’m not PG, but rather X rated most days. It’s cool. Most people down south look at me exactly like you do, so it doesn’t offend me a bit.

but what’s sweet is celebrating where we come from, just like where we are going.

I know it was before your time, but when I first got on these forums I ALSO made my first post a poem to DSO and lived working in the same state you do. I often think of u as who I would be if I had never quit that job and it makes me happy. Love the sunny perspective, my time in New England has made me a bit gruff, as I explained...... but dick measuring competitions are one of my favorites cause my pissin n spitting n measurements usually beat the dudes that make the mistake of playing this w me. I had brothers. It’s not drama and ego..... Rude is rude to me and deserves a spanking and I will maintain that if he continues to personally attack me every time I start a thread on the forums (has happened last 2 times.....) and most ppl on here dislike him anyways so so fucking what? 

You don’t scare me. That response in and of itself is quite assuming - ego........ I don’t care if you don’t want my life - it is MY life so what???..... You barely know me  Now I didn’t give up anything that fate didn’t decide.  I followed my dreams because personally I like helping those around me restore their health in a way that breaks traditional convention. I grew up in medicine- hell, my favorite place to go when I was 4 1/2 was the gross anatomy lab, saw my first  autopsy at age  9 .......Really, so typical SC???? ..... I get my thrills outta cracking the status quo.  I  am 1 in 60k in the whole USof A..... and a deadhead. so toke on that a while.  I am not that much different from you. I can out  measure many. And I love to sit at the feet of the masters. 

You dont know how I look at you— again an ego driven space——- I really don’t care what you are about because obviously you don’t need a spare $20 like Rude gave you to get to NOLA because you can do anything you want to- and I’m good with it - live and let live-  but I’ll tell ya that you are quick to fight and with all your GD experience I would expect a kinder approach, but you are young and maybe you’ll grow into a less judgemental person . Make love, not war. No matter what happens try to sew love and truth - or both!!! You are the one who started the attack with calling him duckweed? You escalated the conversation with the personal attacks.

Rude questioned how really bad your year was. OK. ....... Sorry- it must’ve been bad by the way you responded. I hope it turns around for you Steph. Obviously you have a plan and I hope you make it happen. 

Archived