I don’t want to know the show!

• Forum VIP

I going to throw in my 2 cents. 

First Please keep your comments in Kindness and the Spirit of the Love of the Music, life is too short to be surrounded by hate. 

Second.  Dark Star plays in the spirit of the Grateful Dead and when I went to shows in 80's and 90's I never knew what I was going to see that night and that was part of the Magic.  I honestly went for many reasons the music being one, but friends, the circus and the sense of being part of something special, thats what DSO does for me.  In this day in age when everything moves fast and we have so many choices we all want it to be easier, but for me the chance of getting something different was always possible every night and that made it fun. That is why some of most memorable DSO show's have been Electives. I know many people will argue both sides and I can see their points, but I know my answer, I want it to be like it was at Merryweather Post in June of 1983 or Alpine in 89...I had no idea what was coming next and later I learned either did they.  

Have fun and dance and smile....while you can. 

Dr Vapor.  

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
21 hours ago, Tea said:

You didn’t ask me but:  5/22/1977

That was the beginning of the end of my cartilage.... was a hell of a night though and u called it before hearing the 1st note. That’s next level stuff. 

• Forum MVP
54 minutes ago, Rude said:

That was the beginning of the end of my cartilage.... was a hell of a night though and u called it before hearing the 1st note. That’s next level stuff. 

It was pure levitation - so happy to have found that dancers paradise.  It looked like 100 people all on trampolines ❤️

To clarify - I called it after the opening notes of Music.  It was also conditioned on the next song being Sugaree - which it was.  Pure luck in more ways than one.

Can’t wait till my next spin

• Forum MVP

Oooh, this is fun. 

If we're competing, i think I'm the best. I've been to more shows than 98% of you and dance harder. Therefore my opinion is most valid and i will tell you all your place. 

Kidding.

The setlist is Always known at a dso show. Even the electives are printed on paper on stage. It's not the grateful dead. I'm no expert but I'd bet that many people are turned on by pre announcements. I don't look at that stuff anyway. When i find my groove it doesn't matter what year they are playing. The only thing know for sure is that DSO has only gotten better and better through all the changes and i doubt this time will be any different. Right? 

Yes, we have the right to have an opinion and to express it. We also have the choice of how we express our opinions. To have many strong opinions and be identified with them is most certainly a facet of ego. Just so that is clear...

Maybe this whole thread would have gone differently if SVT had taken 20 deep breaths before posting. Maybe she would have decided to leave it alone, not make waves, tame that underwater volcano. I don't know...i don't care. She's a freak and i respect her unabashedly unique and outspoken nature. I respect Rude as well. I think We can find resolution in a best of 3 paper rock scissors. Winner gets to kick the other one in the shin and we move on. I know Steph can't actually hold a grudge for long. But seriously, from one friend to another, the fowl language Comes across angry and is not becoming of you. 

And for the record, i think PG is a Baddass.

I think this is as far as I would like to see the band go as far as pre announcing their concerts. I prefer recreations, although I have had wonderful times at elective concerts. I can say that although Portland is a long ride for me, I will be there, because they announced it as a GD setlist, along with the following two nights in New Haven and Albany. Might have hit the following night in Peekskill if they hadn't announced the previous three nights as GD recreations. Will probably be a ripper of an elective, but who knows. I haven't hit Penn's the day before Thanksgiving, and I'd rather get home to prepare for the holiday and hit Penn's instead of goin to Peekskill on a work night. Generally though, I'd be just as happy with zero info about the shows, hit what I can, go to work tired the next day, be a happy guy because they are in the area and I can make some long weekends and hit some shows. 

• Forum MVP
40 minutes ago, Tea said:

It was pure levitation - so happy to have found that dancers paradise.  It looked like 100 people all on trampolines ❤️

To clarify - I called it after the opening notes of Music.  It was also conditioned on the next song being Sugaree - which it was.  Pure luck in more ways than one.

Can’t wait till my next spin

Actually after looking at the setup and seeing the Travis Beene, you said if this starts music, it could be 5-22-77. Then we heard Music and were like oooooh. But the Dick’s picks edited version that was embedded in our heads created set list doubt for you and you didn’t trust your gut.  We’d forgotten all about it after 3-4 songs and lived in the moment until that terrapin that made it unmistakable. It seems weird to think now that they would release shortened shows on cd back then, but to have soundboards on cd in the day was amazing!! Maybe CD’s weren’t 4 cents each in 95 to make. Maybe they thought a 3 CD set was just preposterous or a record company was like 2 cds is too much, much less 3. Now there are 60 CD releases and no one blinks an eye. 

I’ve also learned that there’s nothing a business can do to please anyone. If you ever read the Dso FB page, there were people who cursed out Dso for playing “originals” which was code for not knowing a song. Dso will do what they do and anyone can choose to come or not. They know what promotion works and what doesn’t.  2 of my fav shows were the 2 total preannounced shows last year. On the way to redrocks we listened to 6 hours of dead a day plus a live show a night and living in the moment I didn’t think at all about any potential upcoming song. No one here is not going to come if it’s announced and no one on the boards will likely attend that wouldn’t just because a show they liked was announced. For the local casual fans, a show may help decide. 90-99% of fans at shows are local anyway and everyone has to eat. :)  

and mango we gonna see u in philly right :)

Personally I've been spoiled! I mean when i got my first original dso show i wanted every show to be one but i knew that wasn't gonna happen and i wouldn't necessarily not go cause i know the show, even if i know the setlist the songs are still why i keep seeing this band. I think we all can agree that this band and crew work their asses off for us and the least we could do is be grateful. And yes pun intended

On 9/21/2018 at 3:04 AM, Greg from Chestertown said:

....and what if the Anthem show was ‘73 RFK? I have heard that show changed people forever. With the Allman Brothers. See, that would get me over the bridge to the western shore. The band actually isn’t preannouncing shows, they’re just adding suspense. 

Like if in NY and they say well were gonna do a msg show, that probably narrows it down to like 52 shows

• Forum MVP

rude Didn’t give me money. Ever... well...  change at the last show, I guess. I really piss y’all off, huh? Took us all day to get a 20 that day when we had our hookers and crack cocaine sign and play in front of the door where the forums “family” was hanging. No one asked us up. and it was another member on here that tried to bring us up and was denied so that one paid us a 20. That’s the true story.... do t know what u heard or who was bragging bout helping the hobos?  Honestly, I don’t like

And

the personal info sharing ABOUT Me needs to stop

especially when y’all are makin up lies about me... wtf? 

get a life and know that mine is wild enough y’all shouldn’t have to make shit up! Just get to know me and your ears will burn off without making shit up. But talk about your OWN shit, not mine, pretty please? It’s easier to remember why y’all are pricks to me if I don’t gotta sort thru lies. The truth is always enough for us to not get along, since I push y’all into such passionate expression that usually only a good show can do.

Its obvious from your posts, PG, that you don’t even want to understand my words, and would rather shrug me off as an ego driven bitch. Whatever gets ya to sleep at night!  

I miss when we actually cared about each other on here. A lot. He didn’t ask what happened he just told me to grow up and called me 20 again and assumed what I was upset about. Thanks for the love, fuck faces. People like rude have ruined the way we used to care bout each other on here. It’s fucking pathetic. We used to meet up and all hang out. Then rude came. Now it’s a rude parade and it makes me sick.

i am not the only one, from my PM and phone texts lately. 

Oh well, nothing you can hold and all that.......... but damn, we used to be a family. 

Mango is right, though, he always is. But he has a right to his opinion ;) I just wanted to share my heartbreak and see who else felt the same. Some of u feel exactly as I do. Others opposite. Others don’t care. Cool. I still don’t wanna know.

kiss kiss 

And I stand by my justification of strong word phrasing bc I live in New England now. Southerners will a,ways be offended. Jesse almost got arrested a few times this winter for saying FUCK in public down there so I know it makes y’all wanna freak out.... but I am finally free of the south and the west and ppl up here express themselves..... and it rocks!

just a lil mice elf, but thanks for letting me be...... hehehe

• Forum MVP

That means a lot coming from you, brother-  thank you and Namaste and Aloha. I am about to extend myself personally and professionally in a big way and your support helps me build more energy to put that expression into action. I am breaking rules- opening from scratch as a woman in my field and pumping up what I’ve work so hard to build the past ten years with the main focus to give my kids a good solid place to grow and nurture their calling. 

An  interesting thing about all this ruckus and discussion is how it is falling at our.  fall equinox. It inherently is about balance. For one, the balance of holding feminine energy and the execution of male energy, personally and collectively.  And doesn’t Eaton hold feminine energy in planning out the tour shows and thie band execution of that energy hold the  masculine. ( one could argue Eaton is called to this task being born around the time of the equinox; what he does / has done in the Dead community at large is a balance) Could the disclosure of the GD show location be a call for the energy of the region to come? Furthur,  the originals give the whole band a chance to gather together their collective  feminine energy ... the originals we love because they are about us as a community and we play. 

We are all happiest when yin and yang unite organically in the song on stage, when the energy is one of mutual expression, the six fingered hand playing and holding the feeling on stage as the execution of music stretches into the ethers. We ALL bliss out. 

My my birthday is coming. I believe that the circumstances around your birth point to your essence. The 13 year old wished I would be born on her birthday. I was born not only on her birthday but at the exact time 14 years later..... Better watch out what you ask for with me, huh? lol 

It it is just another Moonlight Mile on down the road.... to see you all. ❤️💙

• Forum MVP
46 minutes ago, PoetryGirl said:

11/11/73

Ok - Can I change mine?  I want that one now.  Tomorrow it will be 11/8/69, no wait, 11/7/69.  Dammit - it's like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie-pop..

tootsie-pop-owl-pic-300x225.jpg

• Forum MVP

I am going to be where DSO is on 2/22/2019..... just saying.  I feel the issue at hand. You can only have cherry pie or a hot fudge sundae in the Shoney’s metal cup or pecan pie with aged Bourbon or Creme brûlée with hints of Cointreau or 7 layer fudge icing on yellow cake or tiramisu or blackberry cobbler or port with fresh fruit and the butteriest cheeses... or a 2008 Brunello.... choose. Maybe you would like pork shank confit flash fried? 

Un yes please. 

This shit is too funny.

I am very confused about all this talk about why people go to see dso...

I have always thought that most of the starheads here go to shows hoping I would be there. ; )  Y'all know how to humble a person... 

I heard about this post yesterday from a friend. 

I will say this, rude may come off as an ass on paper but he's a good guy. Steph you mentioned holier-than-thou in one of your posts isnt that a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black?  I could say a whole lot more about what has been posted in this thread but then I would be lowering myself to the likes of what I actually try to run away from as fast as I can.

Some spirits are so dirty that their stink can stay with you all day... 

Archived