1st Ave Minneapolis, Minnesota

Row Timmy

The discussion topic that never goes away.  I am solidly in the recreation camp, and always  have been, so I get Ben's point. By far the best DSO shows I have seen have been recreations. But then again at this point in their long journey I think my opinion may very well be in the minority.  The biggest single upside to electives imho is you get to hear relatively obscure rollouts like  World To Give  more often than you  ever did with the Dead.  And a shout out to Visions which is one of the greatest songs ever written, and again something you hear more often because of elective shows.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

The key with DSO as with the Dead is that you have to go on a 3-4 show run to get your fill (more if possible). I have found if you hit 5-6 you will get most eras covered with a couple electives sprinkled in and very few repeats.

• Like (+1) 4
2 hours ago, bs69 said:

The key with DSO as with the Dead is that you have to go on a 3-4 show run to get your fill (more if possible). I have found if you hit 5-6 you will get most eras covered with a couple electives sprinkled in and very few repeats.

I think that's a great point. You might get exactly what you're hoping for with one or two shows, or they might play it a couple hours out of your range on a work night. 

• Forum MVP

That point makes a greater point. DSO puts a lot of effort in their set list choices. Recreation, original, preannounced, fillers, era, venue, geographic location, it doesn’t matter. You could go to every show they play in a year and there’s something special about every night. ....smile, smile, smile!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
7 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

That point makes a greater point. DSO puts a lot of effort in their set list choices. Recreation, original, preannounced, fillers, era, venue, geographic location, it doesn’t matter. You could go to every show they play in a year and there’s something special about every night. ....smile, smile, smile!

And today keep smiling! Happy Birthday 🎂 

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

I like the HaHa  smiley face better than a heart for you today. I hope it is a great day filled with so much goodness it spreads out the whole next year. Happy trails!

I had a Native American pipe ceremony to start my celebration early. My Choctaw auntie was there among my other close friends and gave me a medicine bag with Dalmatian sage, tobacco from the reservation, and some crystals.  It was good to honor and connect with the red road and the Great Spirit and lift up prayers. 

• Forum MVP

How sweet! Yea, I found a piece of a pipe (no pun intended) at the native site I discovered on the farm. It’s where a spring flows into the river. I’ve found some nice artifacts there, about 300 arrowheads. (They aren’t actually arrowheads, they’re knives or spear points.) be careful with the tobacco. I’ve read that it is a blend that is psychoactive. When natives tried to negotiate trade with white man, the different languages made it difficult so the natives just got them high. Hence, let’s smoke the peace pipe. Enjoy your birthday tomorrow.  I’m enjoying mine today.

• Forum MVP

If Dso only did recreations there would be soooo many songs you would never hear. Eliminate unbroken chain completely since they don’t do 95. Forget about all the songs the dead played a few times like mission in the rain. You would have to see 500 Dso shows before you got one. Forget any Jerry band songs. The shows would become stale if they did only recreations. It’s just a recreated setlist anyway. I like it all but without original setlists we’d rarely ever get so many songs I love. 

• Like (+1) 3
2 hours ago, Rude said:

If Dso only did recreations there would be soooo many songs you would never hear. Eliminate unbroken chain completely since they don’t do 95. Forget about all the songs the dead played a few times like mission in the rain. You would have to see 500 Dso shows before you got one. Forget any Jerry band songs. The shows would become stale if they did only recreations. It’s just a recreated setlist anyway. I like it all but without original setlists we’d rarely ever get so many songs I love. 

Or......they could save those rare songs for fillers?

• Dislike (-1) 2