Free Bird?

LIkeEveryOne

Went to the Gym this morning.  I've only been to this gym a few times, since i moved offices and this one is paid for by my company.  

It's a big place, and they pipe in music throughout the entire place.   While heading to the shower, Free Bird began to play, and as it started i thought, hmmm good song to hear the dead play. 

Then it occurred to me that there is frequently someone yelling at the DSO shows "free bird".  I always  thought the guy was just being a dick.   But for the first time, this morning ,    i think he actually wants  to hear FB, and it might be a good fit.  

I check relisten,  and DSO hasn't play it, nor has  the dead .   I'm not a musician , so i don't know if it's even possible to be played by DSO.   I know there's a guitar and a singer.   but beyond that? So next time i hear that guy yelling FB, i might join in.

So   

• Forum MVP

I don’t think the guy is being a dick, he’s just trying to be funny. His sense of humor sounds like it’s as warped as mine. I think that’s a problem Skynyrd had when they played live. Everyone just wanted to hear free bird and just kept yelling free bird. They put out a live album with free bird on it in the late seventies. Before they start playing it, the vocalist asks, ‘ what song is it you want to hear?’ I didn’t always listen to nothing but the Grateful Dead. Deadheads used to yell ‘let Phil Sing’.  I’d watch out for the guy at Dark Star shows yelling ‘play all night’. He thinks he’s being funny.

• Forum MVP

Well, considering how the band responded in Eugene a few years ago after a guy yelled free bird at a completely inappropriate moment (actually all moments at a dso show are inappropriate for that in my opinion), I think it's safe to say that the band doesn't find it funny. It's obnoxious...let's leave free bird for FM radio and let dso do their craft in a respectful and appreciative environment...

I didn’t post with the intent of being labeled a dick for suggesting the band play FB nor slammed for suggesting an FM song. 

If history has rendered it taboo so be it. I wasn’t aware of the Incident at Eugene. 

Regardless, it’s a song worth hearing DSO play. 

• Forum MVP

I’m with islandbro. Let’s keep the free bird out of the rotation. 

I also think it’s obnoxious to yell at the band while they play. However I’m sure I’m not the same guy, but I have yelled play all night or play something psychedelic. Both I’ve heard before.  I did not originate  I do it however to heckle the band and get a few smiles if not shut up Rick looks. It can be fun and or funny. I’m not sure free bird falls in this category. I can tell you DSO isn’t going to just play anything cause you yell it. 

Btw not a big fan of free bird. Don’t think it falls into that worthy canon of music that others have woven for the Dead to play. 

• Forum MVP
12 minutes ago, LIkeEveryOne said:

I didn’t post with the intent of being labeled a dick for suggesting the band play FB nor slammed for suggesting an FM song. 

If history has rendered it taboo so be it. I wasn’t aware of the Incident at Eugene. 

Regardless, it’s a song worth hearing DSO play. 

I don't think anybody's slamming you,,just expressing different opinions. 😉

• Forum MVP

Actually, the DSO played Free Bird once... or the intro to it on April Fool's. 

But it is that song historically as Greg suggested seemed to dawg Lynyrd Skynyrd and remains kinda of that joke fan battle cry. I think I would be yelling, "Simple Man". lol. The 10/30/71 Taft Theater exchange where the fan is yelling "Play Truckin" is an example of the obnoxious overly zealous fan trying to exert his will rather than coming to receive. I admit.  I yelled "Althea" once at a show- because Jerry was tuning it and he played it anyway- Listen to the end of Little Red Rooster 6/18/92 at the end. Three strums and the last is tuned to Althea.

• Forum MVP

What happened in Eugene is that the band had just dropped into a deep ballad,,I believe it was Stella,,and the entire place had just fallen silent and some dude needed to yell free bird at that moment. I realize that's different than yelling stuff in between songs,,but man, it's like every person in that theater cringed when that happened. After the show was over and they were about to announce what show they played and then dive into a filler, the band essentially addressed the guy who yelled that and the audience at large about how uncool that was. They even said of you are standing next to that guy or someone who does that then let them know that that ain't cool. They were kind of pleading for more respect and to STFU and listen to the music.

Anyway, that's what happened a few years ago on Eugene.

Wish I didn’t take a shower this morning and 

If I leave here this morning will u still remember me?  

I won’t yell unless it’s an approved yell and respectful .  Thanks for the coaching islandbro. 

Still want to hear it played , more now than before, just cause ...

That’s a heckler and there’s no excuse for someone ruining an experience, 

most everyone can agree with that.

A few shows back I told a guy yelling shit during the song that it wasn’t cool ...

• Forum MVP

. I have a vague memory of a Cheryl Crow documentary where at the end of the documentary there’s a clip of her onstage with an acoustic guitar and a bar stool. She jokingly asks ‘what song is it you want to here?’ And strums a little of it. Speaking of DSO playing non Dead tunes that the Dead never played, I have another vague memory of the band playing Eye of the Tiger. It was on the forums way back before I took a ten year break from posting. Everyone was blown away that they played it. Supposedly, it’s a favorite of Eaton’s? Again vague memory. 

2 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Has DSO played on tour some shows with sax player?  That would be a fun NOLA show. 

There was an elective in Chicago on Fare Thee Well weekend that had a sax... Enjoyed that immensely. 7/3/15

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Has DSO played on tour some shows with sax player?  That would be a fun NOLA show. 

I'm not sure that DSO has ever recreated any of the fall 1973 shows that had Ellis and Fiero (sp?) on horns.  They may have recreated the date - but pretty sure not the horns.  Might be cool to see DSO and guest do one of 'em!

Freebird has been so bastardized - not sure how down the band would be with that one....

I would love to hear Lisa do "I will Survive"  :wub:

• Forum MVP

Both Martin Fierro and Pat Mallinger have played with DSO. I’ve seen shows with each of them, but can’t tell you if they were recreations or electives because I don’t remember. It seems like Martin was in SF, but details are hazy.

As for Eye of the Tiger, I recall the movement to get DSO to play it at the Ledges (or anywhere). I didn’t know that had born fruit.

Eaton’s favorite song....isn’t that something?

• Forum MVP

Nah, gotta work. I do know that I am not going to make it to New. Years without another show. Withdrawal symptoms are starting to build. Losing focus at work, walking up to perfect strangers and asking them if they’ve heard of Dark Star Orchestra, stuff like that. I ‘m looking at Penn’s Peak and the Anthem in DC. Those shows are doable for me and the venues really get talked up on the forums. If the DC preannouncement turns out to be one of a couple of shows I’m thinking about, I will be living with regret and that is less than cool. 

• Forum MVP

The played eye of the tiger during a soundcheck set that was pretty much a TN set. I don’t know if anyone in the band is a big free bird or skynrd fan but the song is totally appropriate at a TN show. I’m not sure when or if we will ever get another one of those. 

I don’t think it has any place at a DSO show. I would stick with the songs in the GD and JGB repertoires. I’d probably play a post Dead Bobby tune before adding any skynrd. Dso would kill ashes and glass. Imagine DSO on warren’s tune patchwork quilt of life. Talk about putting someone in your song. 

I can’t even find the eye of the tiger right now but I’m pretty sure it happened once. Starbase mentions a tease but no play. 

• Forum MVP

The tease may have been at a Gratefulfest sound check. Seems like it was part of a fund raiser for Rhett’s Syndrome or something equally horrible. But that was long ago and much of it rolls into one.

It is time for the triumphant TN tour to resolve this and many more concerns.

• Forum MVP
9 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

. I have a vague memory of a Cheryl Crow documentary where at the end of the documentary there’s a clip of her onstage with an acoustic guitar and a bar stool. She jokingly asks ‘what song is it you want to here?’ And strums a little of it. Speaking of DSO playing non Dead tunes that the Dead never played, I have another vague memory of the band playing Eye of the Tiger. It was on the forums way back before I took a ten year break from posting. Everyone was blown away that they played it. Supposedly, it’s a favorite of Eaton’s? Again vague memory. 

I've definitely seen DSO play Eye of the Tiger live......I want to say in Baltimore, but I'm not sure about that.

As for Terrapin Nation, my favorite set of theirs was NYE at The Keswick in Philly (10 years ago?)........one of my favorite sets of live music ever.

Archived