Free Bird?

LIkeEveryOne

• Forum MVP
48 minutes ago, acududeman said:

I've definitely seen DSO play Eye of the Tiger live......I want to say in Baltimore, but I'm not sure about that.

As for Terrapin Nation, my favorite set of theirs was NYE at The Keswick in Philly (10 years ago?)........one of my favorite sets of live music ever.

See that! Thanks. I remembered it because it was the first I had heard of Dark Star playing something that was not Dead related. I’m thinking a venue in the North East but that’s based on not much.

Can't even get archive.org ( or relisten) to play it.       Found the Greg mentioned song on relisten ,  hit PLAY and NOTHING.!!!!  didn't even load. .. went to archive.org   and the site is DOWN !!  OK. i surrender... 

NEXT THREAD... this one is DEAD   

17 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Phil and friends, capitol theatre, 11/3/13, Dark Star/ Free Bird/Dark Star. I found it on u tube, out of curiosity. I couldn’t bring myself to listen to it and I am largely incompetent when it comes to electronics so yea, it’s on u tube.

https://archive.org/details/paf2013-11-03.126196.rode.BIGT.flac16

:dsorocks:

Little of everything in that setlist!!

Bobby played Mmmbob...what the fuck is going on on this rediculous thread. I never wanna hear DSO play free bird. Nothing really against the song it’s  just not in the GD or DSO repertoire. It’s a good choice at the bar when you have one pick in the juke box it’s free bird or shine on you crazy diamond.  Most bang for your buck. 

• Forum MVP

I don’t think you’ll offend anyone around here for expressing your opinion. 

This is a safe space. 

How bout DSO on November Rain? If they play free bird, what’s next?  How many songs outside of the Jerry Garcia/Grateful Dead lexicon do you think we can get per show. 

Maybe get DSO on Phish Run like an Antelope or You Enjoy Myself?

For Phish songs you'll need to go check out our brother JK.  You tube his tunes like Fast Enough for You and the Wedge as good examples.  Speaking of Phish, I agree that their acapella version of Freebird was the right response to years of catcalls. 

I might have have been guilty of one of those shout outs at DSO but (in my defense) it would've been 15+ years ago.  Would love to see TN get rebirthed at some point.  Those shows were lots of fun.  Where else would you hear Mississippi Queen?

Lastly, nice work on the site TR.  You are and have always been... the man!

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, Dancin' Fool said:

https://archive.org/details/paf2013-11-03.126196.rode.BIGT.flac16

:dsorocks:

Little of everything in that setlist!!

That's some really good shit. Thx for the link. Please don't diss Ronnie Van Zandt and skynyrd. There's some incredible guitar work in their catalog.  Kudos for putting freebird in the middle of dark star.  I mean isn't that what DS is all about? Going to places you wouldn't normally get too? Freebird is a masterpiece and would be a challenge for any band and a joy for any audience to hear. Let us not forget the great music of the 70's. DSO would be a band that could possibly make it happen. The slide and piano work let alone being free and not chained? Isn't that what the touring road is all about? I listened to this Phil rendition and it's quite moving.  Thanks again for shining a light

• Forum MVP

All this talk has me thinking about the similarities and differences between Skynyrd with Free Bird and the Grateful Dead with Dark Star. Both are great bands, sold out stadiums, I guess. Each song is their respective bands ‘top’ song, IMO. Yet, Skynyrd fans scream Free Bird before probably every song while deadheads make  signs out of bedsheets, quietly letting the band know how many days it’s been since the last Dark Star. Interesting reflection of the effect the Grateful Dead, and DSO alike,  has on their fans. They command respect and teach patience.

• Forum MVP

"Skynyrd fans scream Free Bird before probably every song "

Doubtful.  Freebird and Dark Star are different in ways that it would take creativity to meld them together.  Both trip out in ways that someone on the road could relate to. Music is too broad of an entity to give one band all command.  Both bands etched ways in uncharted territory.  Both were successful at what they did. Airplane/helicopter crashes have taken many of good people from the music world 

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

That's some really good shit. Thx for the link. Please don't diss Ronnie Van Zandt and skynyrd. There's some incredible guitar work in their catalog.  Kudos for putting freebird in the middle of dark star.  I mean isn't that what DS is all about? Going to places you wouldn't normally get too? Freebird is a masterpiece and would be a challenge for any band and a joy for any audience to hear. Let us not forget the great music of the 70's. DSO would be a band that could possibly make it happen. The slide and piano work let alone being free and not chained? Isn't that what the touring road is all about? I listened to this Phil rendition and it's quite moving.  Thanks again for shining a light

I recently watched "If I Leave Here Tomorrow" - a Showtime documentary about Skynyrd…...very entertaining and very well done.

One quick personal story.....I played drums in a band in college (in Nashville) back in the mid 80's.....a cover band mostly Dead, Allmans, Kingfish and the like. The keyboard player had us doing "I Know Little" by Skynyrd. The drum part is pretty tight and difficult.....I never felt like I did it justice. After one particular show at a bar then called Elliston Square (across from the Exit/In), I heard that Artimus Pyle was briefly in the house....he's the drummer for Skynyrd. I'm pretty sure he heard me butcher his drum part......man I felt embarrassed.

• Forum MVP

How ‘bout some more speculation? If Dark Star Orchestra was gonna play Skynyrd, I ‘d like to see them do ‘gimme three steps’. They could do it as a filler. I think it fits in with the cowboy songs the Dead played. One of the most funnest times I had at a Further show was 7/23/11, they played Zeppelin’s ‘fool in the rain’. It worked. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

How ‘bout some more speculation? If Dark Star Orchestra was gonna play Skynyrd, I ‘d like to see them do ‘gimme three steps’. They could do it as a filler. I think it fits in with the cowboy songs the Dead played. One of the most funnest times I had at a Further show was 7/23/11, they played Zeppelin’s ‘fool in the rain’. It worked. 

My vote is Simple Man. I saw John a Paul Jones and Warren Haynes perform that one and it was awesome! Jeff or Barraco would nail it. 

• Forum MVP

Yelling play freebird is so 1992. It was probably funny in its infancy.  It’s no longer that. I was at a few Dso shows where people yelled that. The band definitely didn’t find it funny. I’m guessing they have heard that a lot. I’ve never understood anyone yelling song selections unless a band asks for a suggestion and if a dead band ever asks for a suggestion you should have an ultra obscure song on the tip of your tongue to if nothing else get a laugh. 

• Forum MVP

Got a wtf text from my sister a couple years ago, her and the family were at a restaurant where a country style band was playing to the bar crowd. My niece (4 at the time) kept yelling “PLAY SHAKEDOWN STREET!!!!”

Sister didn’t find it amusing. I however was as proud as any uncle could be. 

• Forum MVP

At my first Dark Star show, Ocean City, N.J. 2002, after announcing the date of the show they had just recreated, they announced that they we’re going to play a few more songs while there was still time. I yelled ‘Eyes’ and it came out really, really loud. John k. Teased it and the crowd let out a roar. He just turned to the crowd and grinned. They didn’t play it. That’s another thing Dark Star does just like the Grateful Dead, I think. God help you if you tell them what to do. They will do whatever they want. If you just sit back and relax, you’ll be impressed. 

• Forum MVP
17 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

At my first Dark Star show, Ocean City, N.J. 2002, after announcing the date of the show they had just recreated, they announced that they we’re going to play a few more songs while there was still time. I yelled ‘Eyes’ and it came out really, really loud. John k. Teased it and the crowd let out a roar. He just turned to the crowd and grinned. They didn’t play it. That’s another thing Dark Star does just like the Grateful Dead, I think. God help you if you tell them what to do. They will do whatever they want. If you just sit back and relax, you’ll be impressed. 

In vegas in 2017 scottie yelled king solomans marbles and barraco laughed.  20 secs later he was teasing it.  10 secs after another member joined in.  a few seconds later and the whole band was playing it and it was about 60 secs of it before they stopped to go into their 2nd set.  It was hillarious!!!  There was also a weird mask on the keyboards.  What happens in vegas stays in vegas besides the story of Scottie yelling marbles.  That was a fun ending of a 2 week run even though 2 weeks with friends in tight quarters is sometimes too much for many friendships to handle. 

Archived