Death Don't Have No Mercy

Island Bro

• Forum MVP

...in this land

Well today the world is minus yet another good man. After a 10 month battle with cancer, my good friend of 25 years, Christopher set sail last night for his ultimate voyage. Our community is in grief today as we let go of such a bright spirit...

Christopher was a husband, a father of two boys (6 and 8), a sailor, a juggler, a fisherman (30+ yrs seasons in Alaska), an electrician, a sawyer, a furniture maker, a dancer and lover of music, a jester, a mentor, a soccer coach, an old-school home-brewer, a kiwi grower, creator and host of annual Brewfest (still on a nearly 30 year run), a mechanic, co-creator of Juggle-Fest, friend to all ages and all kinds of people, and an open-hearted dude all the way.... And honestly, that's just the quick, short list!

To say he lived life to the max is definitely telling it like it is. Christopher was always the one who would motivate you to spontaneously head out for a full moon walk up the hill on like a random Wednesday night at 10 pm in the dark of winter. When you reached the top of the hill you would witness him yell out into the ethers as loud as he could: "THANK YOU!!" to whomever or whatever was listening...to life itself, really. I learned much from him,,not the least of which was to try and return to gratitude as often as possible...

Over the weekend he chose to let go of the fight and reel in the nets and call it a season--after months of discomfort in his body, dramatic weight loss etc...

No more trips to the doctor, no more fight, no more cancer meds, no more food, no more being a patient. Just decided it was time for a man to die a peaceful death at home with wife, mother, and a few other family members present. At about 11:30 last night,,a couple hours after his mother told his birth story, he shipped on out...

And so this morning, his wife had the tragic role of telling their two sons, when they woke up, that their father is gone forever....AAAARRRRGGGHH!!!

One quote of Christopher's that I always try to keep in my back pocket that I think many of you will appreciate is,,"When in doubt, Dance it out!!"

Thanks so much for listening...this forum creates family.

And,

THANK YOU CHRISTOPHER!!!!

• Forum MVP

Gone From My Sight 

By Henry Van Dyke 

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone."

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.

And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

And that is dying...

sound like Ike he did a lot of living. Thank you for sharing his gratitude for living and all that is beautiful. Big huge hugs and all the best to you all. Peace and love. 

• Forum MVP

You brought my tears to my eyes. Beautiful. I’m sorry for your loss and his family loss. Glad you got to share in such a wonderful experience of human life. 

I will keep his boys in my thoughts tonite. Can’t imagine that loss. 

Love you Huck

• Forum MVP

Dang Huck, that was a powerful description of your friend and sounds like someone that would add a lot to the lives of people in his circle. Conversely his passing takes a lot away from those same people, and for that I am sorry for you and those fine folks. Thank you for sharing and reminding us to treasure the people like that in our lives. (((( Love and hugs to Christopher's circle. ))))

• Forum MVP

So sorry Huck.  Christopher sounds like he was one-of-a-kind and my heart breaks for those kids - just takes your breath away.

A great spirit to honor by living the way he did.  THANK YOU for sharing.

Archived