Rising Up to Paradise

Tea

• Forum MVP

Hawaii for New Years Eve?  If you got the ways and means....

https://www.jambase.com/article/bob-weir-bill-kreutzmann-new-years-eve-hawaii

Grateful Dead band mates Bob Weir and Bill Kreutzmann will be joined by several others for the Rising Up To Paradise New Year’s Eve concert in Kauai, Hawaii. The December 31 show will be held at The Crazy Rooster Ranch — the exact location of which will be disclosed to ticket buyers.

Rising Up To Paradise with feature current Dead & Company band mates Weir and Kreutzmann performing as part of The Big Swell that also includes George Porter Jr., Jeff Chimenti, Robin Sylvester, Steve Kimock and Wally Ingram. Also on the event’s lineup are Taj Mahal, The Dirty Knobs with Mike Campbell, Island Grass and a late night set by DJ Logic. Proceeds from Rising Up To Paradise will go toward local non-profit environmental organizations The Hanalei Initiative and Earthjustice.

Tickets to Rising Up To Paradise go on sale on Wednesday, October 31. Full details and more information can be found at the festival’s official website.

https://www.cidentertainment.com/events/rising-up-to-paradise-nye-2018/

On a remote Oceanic island more than 2,520 miles from the mainland and lightyears away from your worries and cares, on a ranch with palm trees and ocean views, in a land where wild roosters rule the streets and sleeping giants watch over the land, and on the last night of the year, an all-star group of musicians, led by the Grateful Dead’s Bill Kreutzmann and Bob Weir, will put a final exclamation mark on 2018 and deep dive head-first into the coming year, while celebrating a magical “here” and a transcendent “now.” And you’re invited to tag along.

“Rising Up to Paradise” will feel more like an informal backyard bash than a big ticket New Year’s celebration, where the atmosphere of a secret soiree will be paired with the welcoming spirit of aloha.

The evening’s headliners are a newly formed local band who will be performing their first show ever: The Big Swell. (The players include Bill Kreutzmann, Bob Weir, George Porter Jr., Jeff Chimenti, Robin Sylvester, Steve Kimock, and Wally Ingram.)

Also scheduled to perform: The Dirty Knobs with Mike Campbell, Taj Mahal, Island Grass and a late-night set hosted by DJ Logic.

Untold treasures (and a brand new year) await.

The ante is $300

Super-VIP is only $2000

For A ticket

• Forum MVP
11 hours ago, HOM said:

Technical difficulty trying to buy tickets and missed out on 2 GA tickets. Live on Oahu, have place to stay in Hanalei and $$, just need tickets. 

Aloha. Good luck! Maybe the giant NouNou will let you cross the Waikini stream as we ask to enter our halau as our Oli Kahea chant and get those tickets ! lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 9:30 AM, Rude said:

Ouch. 1200 pp RT flight on short notice. Thanks for letting us know earlier guys..... Hawaii for 10 days sounds heavenly for Christmas through early January. 

Those prices are based on it being festive season here in Hawaii, especially Kauai. It's always expensive. This is a small venue, and an event to raise money for a local cause. I think it was geared toward those of us that actually live in Hawaii. Mainlanders have access to so many musical options and we rarely have the opportunity to any big names. I live on another island and am spending an arm and a leg myself, like my whole annual show budget to go, and I'm camping. lol

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2018 at 7:59 PM, HOM said:

Technical difficulty trying to buy tickets and missed out on 2 GA tickets. Live on Oahu, have place to stay in Hanalei and $$, just need tickets. 

I have 4 GA tix face value

On 11/15/2018 at 2:06 PM, DiscDiva808 said:

Those prices are based on it being festive season here in Hawaii, especially Kauai. It's always expensive. This is a small venue, and an event to raise money for a local cause. I think it was geared toward those of us that actually live in Hawaii. Mainlanders have access to so many musical options and we rarely have the opportunity to any big names. I live on another island and am spending an arm and a leg myself, like my whole annual show budget to go, and I'm camping. lol

I have 4 extra if you know anyone looking

• Forum MVP

I’m not sure it’s too fishy. Though I definitely wouldn’t book flights without some ticket confirmation first. 

Didnt have much purpose to be on the DSO forums if he lives in Hawaii. Maybe lurk but rarely would be able to catch an actual DSO show. 

Btw, it’s Bobby’s and Billy’s gig.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Set One: Sugar Magnolia$* (Grateful Dead cover), Cassidy*#!, Franklin’s Tower$*# (Grateful Dead cover), Tennessee Jed$*# (Grateful Dead cover), Deep Elm Blues%! (Traditional), I’ve Been All Around This World%! (Grateful Dead cover), Weather Report Suite*#! (Grateful Dead cover) > Let It Grow$*#! (Grateful Dead cover)

Set Two (feat. Jeff Chimenti, Steve Kimock, and Robin Sylvester): Help On The Way (Grateful Dead cover) > Scarlett Begonias (Grateful Dead cover) > Fire On The Bayou^ (The Meters cover), Sugaree^ (Jerry Garcia Cover), Iko Iko^ (The Dixie Cups cover) > Drums > Estimated Prophet (Grateful Dead cover) > Eyes of the World (Grateful Dead cover) > 2019 Celebration with Hula Dancers

Encore: The Music Never Stopped (Grateful Dead cover) > Touch of Grey (Grateful Dead cover), Ripple (Grateful Dead cover)

Notes:
$ w/Robin Sylvester
^ w/George Porter Jr
* w/Steve Kimock
# w/Jeff Chimenti
! w/Don Was
% w/Taj Mahal

• Forum MVP

Kimock and Porter both play in Voodoo Dead. Kimock without a doubt brings a level of Jerry or jam style guitar that Mayer just isn’t ever gonna bring. Porter was in several of the biggest groups out of New Orleans including the Meters. I even think he auditioned for the Dead and co gig. I’ve only listened to recordings but I think voodoo dead sounds real good. 

I agree Kimock brings the jam style guitar.  Hands down my favorite musician of the night, and I feel like he was turned down after Tennessee Jed, couldn't hear him bring it.  If you ever have the opportunity, recommend seeing him when he is the showcase, like Kimock and Friends, KVHW, Zero.  I'll also check out some Voodoo Dead, thanks 

• Forum MVP

I remember when Kimock subbed for Karan on Ratdog tour years ago. They put out some pretty good shows. 

Btw, I think voodoo dead sounds so good. I’m considering a 4 night return to New Orleans during Jazzfest. Two night axial tilt. Two nights voodoo dead. Pick up some great late night 

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, HOM said:

I agree Kimock brings the jam style guitar.  Hands down my favorite musician of the night, and I feel like he was turned down after Tennessee Jed, couldn't hear him bring it.  If you ever have the opportunity, recommend seeing him when he is the showcase, like Kimock and Friends, KVHW, Zero.  I'll also check out some Voodoo Dead, thanks 

Im guessing the weather and scenery was amazing.  Was it on someone’s farm?

Scenery / venue were spectacular, was on an old golf course.  Apparently they changed locations last minute, not sure where the original was supposed to be.  Things were kept very hush hush for some reason.  Pleasant light rain showers during the evening. 

Archived