Northampton

sakada

1/15/79 (& musically the band is ON!!!)

filler: mr.charlie,box of rain, tore up

(& the venue policy via these folks who work here SUCKS !!! Makes me not wanna come here again...seriously, even the wharf rats were told to not give candy to people...let alone the ((lack of)) dancing situation...too bad cuz this town is groovy)

AGREE, Sakada, the band was seriously on fire, but the Calvin sucked for dancing this year! We've been going to the Calvin since 2010 and have never HAD to find our seats, no congregating in hallway, no dancing in hallway. Ellie couldn't even sell stickers, venue was afraid ppl would stick their $4 stickers everywhere. Had fun even with all the negatives anyways. Happy 21st DSO

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
Springfield Civic Center, Springfield, MA (1/15/79)

Jack Straw
Jack-a-Roe
Cassidy
Row Jimmy
Mama Tried >
Mexicali Blues
Stagger Lee
Passenger
Deal

I Need a Miracle >
Shakedown Street
From the Heart of Me
Terrapin Station >
Playin' in the Band >
drums >
Playin' in the Band >
Casey Jones

Johnny B. Goode
  • Like (+1) 2
34 minutes ago, John A said:

Did DSO play up the Miracle->Shakedown transition?  One of the more powerful segues in Grateful Dead history!

They jammed the end of Miracle out, and Jeff stepped over and hit the Mutron. They played a bit and he counted it off, 1,2,3,4, Whaaoouugghhh, crowd goes wild. There was a consensus during the break where I was standing that they would play Shakedown, but we thought it would kick the set off. Miracle was killer, too, with Skip playing a pair of stubbed off chords (bomblets?) during each line of the verse, high octane, indeed 😎😎😎

Edited by Hardpan
Thought of bomblet
  • Like (+1) 3

I did the work before the show so was expecting 1-15-79. Listened to it on the drive down. It was Chuck Berry's birthday hence the Johnny B. Goode. 

My fellow heads have covered the show and how well played it was. Lets get a shout out to Barraco. He was happy as a clam all night long and delivered with floating feather fingers all night long.

Here is my .02   This is a quintessential GD show from start to finish. Shakedown Street album on display. The electricity, the vibration, the sound was simply overwhelming. Springfield Civic Center had that same vibe since it was smallest indoor arena Dead played.

Loud booming sound, booming tapes. DSO recreated that.  It took my high planetary. I am absolutely junk today.

DSO left it all there on 21st anniversary, I left it all there on my "11"  "33"  day 11-11-(2+0+1+8) = 11.

Until Lowell and Northampton, it had been a year hiatus creating my business, getting it licensed & established. 

This weekend had been on the radar like neon since tour announced.

I have been jones-ing for this special day after feeling, I have today, for a year. Perma-grin in effect.

• Like (+1) 5
4 hours ago, just a dream said:

A classic Massachusetts show would be a 1969 show from the Ark in Boston, or 3/28/73 from Springfield.  1/15/79 is not really that classic, just a show, it seems to me.  

Problem in life is timing.  Both great shows so no issues there but....

69 Ark means you have a whole show without Lisa on the band's 21st anniversary.   NO WAY

73 Springfield opens you up to SIX repeats when in Lowell Friday night with the $1.6M Jerry Garcia' Wolf guitar played by Jeff Mattson, they created an elective show for Wolf that was 1st set 1973 and 2nd set 1978.  Wolf was updated with additional pickups in 1978 which is why 1978 was chosen for second set modeling Friday

Wolf was commissioned from Doug Irwin and first played September of 1973 at a private Hells Angels party called the Pirate's Ball on a boat in NYC Harbor. It was a fundraiser for a Hells Angel member imprisoned by Nixon.

You can see short clip of Jerry playing Wolf for the first time here in this clip from Hells Angels Forever a 1983 movie. Go to 16:00 mark which details the NY Boat party.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Much speculation on how DSO would celebrate their 21st Anniversary and re-create a "classic Massachusetts" show.

Had a hunch that all members of the band would be on stage so that was validated when I walked into the Calvin Theater and saw the stage arrangement.

Really wanted something very special and studied the Keith and Donna setlists and spotted some great shows (ex. the June 76 run at the Boston Music Hall or 4/23/77 with the Scarlet/Fire 1st set closer or 5/7/77 with the Terrapin second set opener during the famous Spring 77 run).

Unfortunately, I can't understand why this show was chosen as it seemed quite unremarkable and hardly classic of anything other than the band's fleeting last days with Keith and Donna.

The first set was relatively short with only 9 songs and no truly special or big songs.

I liked the second set Terrapin, Playin and even the Shakedown but was quite disappointed with only a Playin reprise and Casey Jones post-drums.

First saw DSO in 2000 and after 71 shows have never written anything but glowing and favorable reviews and have been so grateful for all that they do to re-create the Grateful Dead experience.

Yes, it's been a long, strange, wonderful trip and I'm still on the bus, I just didn't experience the magic last night (though did like the filler!).

• Like (+1) 1
2 hours ago, Tiger in a Trance said:

Problem in life is timing.  Both great shows so no issues there but....

69 Ark means you have a whole show without Lisa on the band's 21st anniversary.   NO WAY

73 Springfield opens you up to SIX repeats when in Lowell Friday night with the $1.6M Jerry Garcia' Wolf guitar played by Jeff Mattson, they created an elective show for Wolf that was 1st set 1973 and 2nd set 1978.  Wolf was updated with additional pickups in 1978 which is why 1978 was chosen for second set modeling Friday

Wolf was commissioned from Doug Irwin and first played September of 1973 at a private Hells Angels party called the Pirate's Ball on a boat in NYC Harbor. It was a fundraiser for a Hells Angel member imprisoned by Nixon.

You can see short clip of Jerry playing Wolf for the first time here in this clip from Hells Angels Forever a 1983 movie. Go to 16:00 mark which details the NY Boat party.

right on my friend...some folks would be happy just to have one dream come true...in fact, that 79' show was legendary...he just doesn't understand...in addition to all the homework you did..

All good.  We get into word meanings and semantics when we parse classic versus legendary.

This was a classic show for sure but nowhere near legendary. The show is short due to the curfew at the Springfield Civic Center.

The band responded with Mr. Charlie, Box of Rain & Tore Up to make up for the shorter show

5-7-77 yeah that was a legendary show but if you would have checked, you can make it to New Haven on Friday and SEE IT!!!

Agreed with 76' Boston Music Halls being very good shows but the archival picks of shows involves more. 38 Massachusetts shows minus the ~40 songs played Friday & Saturday ie…. no repeats. Wolf's appearance knocked out 73 and 78.

Good to see the band as always and soak in the DSO community vibe. A special anniversary. 21 has a nice ring to it. Thank you as always to band and crew for all the great music you have brought to my life. Difficult for me to see this as a classic but happy to catch DSO again this year. “Classic” to me puts the show in the pantheon of great Dead shows (perhaps my definition is not correct so will plan accordingly next time). Of which there are many in MA. Seeing Travis Bean up there also set a certain era expectation walking into Calvin of the “greatest year” or two. Of which I’ve never seen a 77 recreation in 23 shows. One day! Have always wanted to hear Jeff with Travis, and it did sound great.

Final Comment

Legendary connotes legend meaning story like Samson. So that week in 1977 with Boston Garden, Cornell, Buffalo is legendary.

Books contain chapters about that week and those individual shows.

Lots of stories about particular shows especially Cornell = Legendary.

Classic means outstanding of its' time & highest quality. Now we have to add in the variable of the band we follow DSO & the year.

DSO is set up based on Lisa as Donna Jean to be a 1972 to 1979 period GD band in terms of pure recreates.

This show in Early 1979 is classic as you get ONLY performance in Massachusetts of Shakedown Street & From the Heart of Me on same night by Donna with the Dead. GD performed Shakedown Street 3 times in 1979 in Mass.

Now we have identified the CLASSIC portion of description of this show = Donna

You get her last solo song only performed 26 times live. You get the only one ever done in Mass (Heart of Me)

Lisa destroyed that song last night (in a good way). Donna wished she could sing like that.  She is an angel

With that you get a Terrapin & a Playin/Playin Reprise which all showcase what Donna adds vocally.

You get the last Casey Jones done in Mass with Donna.

This show was Donna Jean's TRUE last rodeo with GD in Massachusetts.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming

• Forum MVP
33 minutes ago, Tiger in a Trance said:

Final Comment

Legendary connotes legend meaning story like Samson. So that week in 1977 with Boston Garden, Cornell, Buffalo is legendary.

Books contain chapters about that week and those individual shows.

Lots of stories about particular shows especially Cornell = Legendary.

Classic means outstanding of its' time & highest quality. Now we have to add in the variable of the band we follow DSO & the year.

DSO is set up based on Lisa as Donna Jean to be a 1972 to 1979 period GD band in terms of pure recreates.

This show in Early 1979 is classic as you get ONLY performance in Massachusetts of Shakedown Street & From the Heart of Me on same night by Donna with the Dead. GD performed Shakedown Street 3 times in 1979 in Mass.

Now we have identified the CLASSIC portion of description of this show = Donna

You get her last solo song only performed 26 times live. You get the only one ever done in Mass (Heart of Me)

Lisa destroyed that song last night (in a good way). Donna wished she could sing like that.  She is an angel

With that you get a Terrapin & a Playin/Playin Reprise which all showcase what Donna adds vocally.

You get the last Casey Jones done in Mass with Donna.

This show was Donna Jean's TRUE last rodeo with GD in Massachusetts.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming

Oh my......so many experts around here....

13 hours ago, Tiger in a Trance said:

5-7-77 yeah that was a legendary show but if you would have checked, you can make it to New Haven on Friday and SEE IT!!!

New Haven is 5/5/77 New Haven {greatest Sugaree EVER !!!} ...New Haven Coliseum is no longer {"i would tear this old building down"}...