Current Shows/ Movies on Netflix etc

PoetryGirl

• Forum MVP

I get bored with TV and shows,, but don't always have the energy to focus my eyes on reading, etc. Sports are a safe bet for some diversion, especially in the last 5 min of a game (haha). So I look to find new things to watch and thought it might be great to hear about  any movies or shows you've watched recently that brought you an expanded feeling of existence- however that may look- joy- imbued sense of a greater world, etc, laughter whatever.  I tend to like historical fiction. Artsy grabs me too. 

I loved "Maniac" with Emma Stone and Jonas Hill. It is about two people who meet in a drug trial and their experience leading up to the trial and what unfolds at the trial. The A-B-C pills are meant to help you expand consciousness to overcome inner demons and hangups and trauma. It is fantastic. The scene where Jonas' character yells "put it in sports mode" as they make their get away in a late 80s/ early 90s or so volvo station wagon cracks me up!! Best dark comedy scene in fur shop since "Fargo" when the character is trying to stuff  body parts in and through the woodchipper. Totally entertaining from front to back. and finishes well.

We watched the "End of the F***ing World".Two teenagers dissatisfied with life meet up, and their individual twisted mentalities help each other find happiness and get in touch deeper with accepting our human condition. It was a binge watch. The boy reminds me of Harold in " Harold and Maude" in affect. 

• Forum MVP

Maniac-awesome. I suggest being able to watch at least the 1st 4 episodes in a sitting as this is really more like an 8 hour movie. 

Black mirror—amazing anthology. Watch it now. Every episode completely different 

electric dreams-Amazon’s Version of black mirror. Solid. 

godless—great western series. Highly recommend 

altered carbon—cool concept. Execution is hit and miss

lost in space—so much potential. Completely falls flat. Too many plot holes and too much nonsense. The sci fi is really geared towards adults but the writing is geared towards kids. 

The Santa Clarita diet—I loved this show more than the reviews. It’s like a relationship self help “zombie” movie. Cleverly written. Top notch dialogue and word play. It’s grsat to watch with your significant other. It’s weird that a zombie show helped our relationship. 

The tick-amazon- it’s a superhero series but they have the same personality flaws that we do. It’s sets up great but the story has so many different creative concepts that trying to resolve all in the finale was too much. I still recommend watching. 

Mindhunter—based on early FBI serial killer profiling. The dialogue with captured serial killers was pulled from the original FBI interviews. Lots of intense stuff. Well written and acted. 

Wet hot American summer: first day of camp.—big comedic cast. Lots of 30-40yr olds playing teens. Paul Rudd plays a high school kid. Set in the 80’s :)

The OA- just watch it. This is one of those it’s 2am and have to be up but have to know what happened shows. Don’t read up b4 u watch it. Just watch. Been waiting forever for S2, but the creator is creating the show as they go so 2 years b/t seasons will be normal for this. Good thing is S2 about to be released so watch it. 

Theres a few that I recommend or don’t. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Here’s a good one I just found. Netflix 1 season mini series 

Happy!

its like shootem up/hardcore Henry/the terminator combo.....with a unicorn. Cinematography is top notch. Lots of scenes shot different than I’ve ever seen. Over the top, almost comical bloody violence. Lots of blood. Lots of killing. Weird fun. Unique concept for sure. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

Russian Doll— a darker groundhogs day. 

Fyre fest docs(Hulu and Netflix versions are pretty good). Hey we’ve got 4 months. Let’s build a whole city on a deserted island in that period. That was the lunacy. The brilliance was knowing that 10k people would spend $10k each b/c a Kardashian made an instagram post. 

The devil we know—a doc showing why you should never use fluorine atoms in chemicals and how we are all now contaminated for profit. Damn you Teflon!!!  

Bodyguard. I thought it was pretty intriguing until the last episode and it was like the writers went on strike and a class of gifted 5th graders decided to tie up every single loose end and make sure everything was explained so a kindergartener could understand while the 1st 7 episodes were complicated political dealings. The final episode had so many plot holes. You build a complex web for 7 episodes then try to piece it together simply in 1.  It’s almost so kooky a finish that it’s hard to not watch it. 

• Forum MVP

Just started Black earth rising. Very compelling story 20+ years post Rwanda genocide about prosecuting war crimes and the politics of if all. If you are at all like me and do binge researching, you’ve maybe wondered why when a million people were massacred, only a few ever prosecuted for war crimes. Just saw E1 but it is pretty intense and it seems to ask this question. Why are some prosecuted. Why are others not and why are western interests who provoke conflicts never held accountable. 

After E2 this is crazy intense and of course it’s the French responsible for everything. They are good about getting involved in others’ affairs but not real good this century about defending their soil. We should have just annexed France during WWII ot leased it to Britain. They were pretty docile to the Germans so they wouldn’t have been much more trouble to the Brits. Plus all they gave us was wine we can make as good in Napa, French fries to make our citizens fat to subdue us as well as the spread of patchouli eau de parfum 

• Forum MVP

Just to be sure we’re covering everything, Peaky Blinders is very well-done.  That main Cilian Murphy or whatever (Scarecrow dude from Batman) is great in it.

I tried to start it years ago but quit because I couldn’t understand them.  Although it is in English (set in England), I tried watching with subtitles and it was fantastic.  Not just dialogue, but proper nouns that I would have never deciphered.

Like Bobby singing Queen Jane in 1988, to put it in the vernacular.  

So I realize it’s not a new release, but wanted to be sure the permanent record was noted.  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Forum MVP

Just watched comedians in cars getting coffee e1. Jerry Seinfeld with Eddie Murphy. Hilarious and informative talking about them growing up in Long Island doing comedy gigs when they were just starting out. Most of the series looks like 16 minute episodes but the Eddie Murphy one is 40 minutes.  Highly entertaining. 

And on e8 of haunting of hill house. It’s pretty solid but been trying to finish it for a while and the gf falls asleep with 10 minutes to go and the next night starts with those 10 minutes and then falls asleep right after so getting 1 episode done every 2 viewings. Tv is her sleeping pill. If I want to knock her out just put a show on at night. 

• Forum MVP

Legion on FX is a trippy little mind game of a show. This Marvel comic adapted to TV is groovy with its 60s flair. Sometimes, the episode doesn’t take me to a conclusive endpoint but I don’t care, just enjoying the ride. Season 3 currently unfolding. 

Actors you would  recognize include from Dan Stevens- Downton Abbey, Jemaine Clement - Flight of the Concord, Jon Hamm and my fav Aubrey Plaza from Parks and Rec. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, PoetryGirl said:

Legion on FX is a trippy little mind game of a show. This Marvel comic adapted to TV is groovy with its 60s flair. Sometimes, the episode doesn’t take me to a conclusive endpoint but I don’t care, just enjoying the ride. Season 3 currently unfolding. 

Actors you would  recognize include from Dan Stevens- Downton Abbey, Jemaine Clement - Flight of the Concord, Jon Hamm and my fav Aubrey Plaza from Parks and Rec. 

I thought s1e1 was brilliant. As trippy as any show you will see with an amazing soundtrack. It slowly fell apart after that episode but was still a fun watch. I haven’t started s2 yet. That 1st episode had brilliant cinematography. It’s worth watching just to see the 1st episode. 

• Forum MVP

Omg some buddies and I watched Tim Robinson’s sketch show “i think you should leave”. This dude has a crazy mind. Super funny and super weird. 6 episodes @16 minutes each. Lots of really short bits. 

• Forum MVP

I have only had this shit for 1.5 months and it got hacked yesterday, from Argentina. Upgraded me to high Def package and switched me from English to Spanish, then changed my email and password so I couldn’t get back in. 😂😆😂😆

Archived