The Anthem

LIkeEveryOne

• Forum MVP
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, LIkeEveryOne said:

June 10th 1973 possibilities have forced me to buy a ticket and take the trip from Philly 

That is the longest of shots right there.  I'm not sure they could tuck that monster inside of a curfew. 

If that was goin down, we'd certainly know it from the first strum.

• Like (+1) 1

Quick heads up, but just like last year, the Lighted Boat Parade will be going on just as we enter the Anthem, starts at 6 but will continue for a few hours along the waterfront. Parking will be bad and traffic will be terrible. Get there early if you can, I can’t  wait!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Robert F. Kennedy Stadium, Washington, DC (6/9/73)

Promised Land
Deal
Looks Like Rain
They Love Each Other
Jack Straw
Loose Lucy
Mexicali Blues
Row Jimmy
El Paso
Box of Rain
Sugaree
Beat it on Down the Line
Tennessee Jed

Greatest Story Ever Told
China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
He's Gone
Truckin'
Playing in the Band
Loser
Me and My Uncle
Mississippi Half-Step
Big River
Eyes of the World
China Doll
Sugar Magnolia

Filler: Mr Charlie

Edited by Hardpan
Setlist
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

The second set was two sets. It seemed to go on forever! What an unbelievable band. Professional, talented, just unbelievable. So appreciative to have them in my world. 

I finally got to meet Hardpan, his brother Jake,  gr8ful pair, tea, bill522,  their friend, whose name I’m blocking on cuz last night was so incredible. Ran into Likeeveryone, Danced in Bix’s corner, met all his friends whose names went in my one ear and out the other. Danced with Clint and Holly. I know Clint from Chestertown simply because I walked past his truck in a parking lot one day and Grateful Dead music was coming out of it. 

Thank you for a real good time! 

That’s right!, they played Loose Lucy! Woo Hoo !!!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Forum MVP

In a world of conflict and division, what a blessing that

a group of musicians exist to uplift an audience, take

them on an exploration of every phase of the human

condition, return them to the start of it all and ask did

you enjoy the ride?  The answer, an emphatic yes.

The perfect marriage of band and venue occurred

for a second time in DC last night, and the

experience did not disappoint.  A retelling of 6/9/73

(w/ GS and China>Rider shifted to set 2) ran through

a large chunk of the library at the time,  tried and true.

The band exuded last show of the tour energy with

every song, and flawlessly delivered all 27 songs.

China>Rider absolutely killed. Eyes>China Doll>Sugar Mag

close heavenly and filled with Julie Andrews space after

some of the riff-raff departed.  I enjoyed the evening with

the best group of friends, both old and new, a person could

ever hope for. The forum was well represented at the Anthem

last nite.  Safe travels all.

Praise DSO.

Edited by BillK522
  • Like (+1) 7

Perfectly said BillK522 and Greg. I wish I were able to express my feelings and thoughts in a similar manner. But I’m more of a lover than a writer. 

I waited for that MD opening song in hopes of it kicking off the 6/10/73 show, but didn’t give a shit after Promise land filled the anthem.  

Such a good time.  I love the vibe when everyone around me is just tied to every note.  The couple next to me smiled and dance for all 4 hours, I couldn’t help telling them how great it was. His response: “nothing left to do but smile smile smile”.

i responded a corny “jerry loves you”. 

After the show they  hunted me down and both gave me a hug.  It meant a lot to me. 

I’m slowly meeting members of the board at the shows but still enjoy “being on the outside”.  Met Hardpan and his brother Jake. 2 gentlemen for sure, and saw Gregfromchester in his signature classic tie dye.  Hope to dance together with more of you.

Let the winter tour begin! 

Edited by LIkeEveryOne
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

Yeah, that was really something last night. I thought it seemed a good bit more crowded than last year. The floor, about the size of a damn airplane hangar, was full enough to push is to the back wall for dance space. Even that got tight cause our awesome assemblage needed about 3000-5000 sq ft depending on what song was being played. Hey BillK, way to put on a 4.5 hr aroebics clinic... 😅😜🥴 Not many breaks in that show last night but that China doll rendered me danceless and emotional. I think Jeff's ability to deliver the tender vocals and super delicate guitar riffs is as good as it's ever been. The Loser was sublime. Like 6 cowboy songs in that show and they ripped every one of them to shreds. Hopefully the damage to my thighs and calves will be temporary. El Paso smoked! Nice drawn out trans from China cat to rider and the Hes Gone kepts the jams going to all the best places. That second set almost seems continuous in my mind. That was a big ol fat Barn burner chock full of killer songs, glad I got to experience it with some tolerant people that don't care what they or others look like when they dance. Happy to make some new friends and bask in the glow of some old ones. Y'all are an important part of my total experience. Rude is in charge of helicopter rental next year cause DC traffic sucks ass. Our uber driver home was fucking horrible, prob got horns blown at us about 5 times and almost flattened by a surburban. Hahahaha, part of the adventure. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Forum MVP
20 hours ago, izaacb said:

Based on sound clips/videos from Instagram - 6/9/73 - RFK Stadium

Solid call and investigative work!!! 

And every time I look at some of those older setlists my mind always gets blown. Having a MAMU and a smoking fast big river at where the encore would be in a normal show was just unfair. I left it all out there for that big river and then an eyes. Wtf. I had to stop dancing mid eyes and take a pee break just to catch my breath to not lose face trying to keep up with bill k tea and gr8fulpair. I was making the comment to them during big river that they need to elevate more and I began hopping leaving the ground not realizing an eyes was upcoming. Rookie mistake on my part. It’s like practicing for a marathon and then we get one of the 100 mile endurance races and I ran the 1st 26 miles at marathon pace thinking I could do it the whole time. Fortunately I caught a 6th wind after taking a 5 minute dance break and crossed the finish line standing :)  so much fun

• Like (+1) 6
  • Forum MVP

Yea, I met you. Pretty sure, but you didn’t give me your stage name and I couldn’t remember your given name. I kept asking but it still didn’t make it to long term. The band is so incredible that I was running out of energy thinking the set was almost over but they just kept going and going and going. Had to dig deep and push to the end. Easy with that song list. SUGAR MAGS! My first Row Jimmy in a long time. Box a rain is like no other song. Those lyrics kill. 

I dug up some old sneakers for the show cuz My new ones don’t dance well. Mistake. My feet are killing me today. Gotta find some nice ones before Philly!

anyway, I had a blast, really enjoyed the people, took the show to a new level. Thanks everybody! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

I use a comfy insert and running shoes and realize I need to upgrade again. I may get some usain bolt track shoes that weigh 4 grams but think those only last 400 meters. I’d have to carry 4-5 pairs to survive a show. 

We were talkinj after the show about how did the fans survive allman brothers then a 4.5 hour dead show in the heat. We know the answer really. There weren’t 45-65yr olds at the show and in 73 they probably walked 4 miles to RFK and didn’t think twice about it. They just took off their shirts and got a great sunburn and got to experience one of the great pleasures of life. It’s best not to think too long about those kinds of things though even though I lived vicariously through probably a 15yr old rob barraco who said he lied to his parents to go to that rfk show. I wonder if he ever imagined when he was at that show if he would have played with the allman brothers 40 years later at their farewell shows. That’s sort of crazy to think about. I’m guessing if you said that to him at rfk “you are going to play keyboards with the allmans someday” he’d have laughed his ass off and asked how much acid you had eaten lol. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1