The Anthem

LIkeEveryOne

Well, it was a truly magnificent concert, from start to end, and a true battle of endurance to keep up with the band's relentless pace. The sound in the hall was exceptionally fine, probably my favorite place to have seen a concert, will definitely return if possible. It was a pleasure to meet everyone last night in our nation's capitol. My favorite part of the night was Skip's ruthless Other One tease out of Truckin'. It sounded so sneaky and greasy, and the bass tone sounded so punchy and clear. I think if he actually kicked off The Other One in that theater, the place could have blasted into smithereens. The introduction to Playing in the Band was such a fantastic release after all that tension that was built up in the bass solo, especially after expecting a completely different release in The Other One, just masterful!!! Thank you to all for such a fun night.

Edited by Hardpan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

I have a penchant for going on and on about the arc of each song when reviewing shows.  They're fun for me to write since I get to relive the experience but maybe not nearly as much fun to read.  Short and sweet then......

I thought the band was at the top of their game and everyone was treated to an outstanding thrill ride!  The music always compels me to dance to try and physically channel it from start to finish.  That was no easy task given the length and song selection of the show - I think I got most all of the way through it although I HAD to pause for a minute during the middle of Sugar Mags.  My engine was bellowing smoke and dropping parts.

The performance by band and crew was truly sublime.  The vibe from the dancers kept me going all night - as soon as I would slow down, it seemed like everyone else was picking up my slack which just pushed me forward somehow.  I'll say this:  BillK522 is my fuc*in hero!  That dood had the dance-hammer down ALL nite long.  I'm certain a 3rd set at hyper-speed would've been no problem for him.   Next Level.

After-show was simply outstanding despite being over in the blink of an eye!  So nice to see old friends old and meet some new ones!  Great people just made it so very awesome!

Just as I said last year:  DSO is a world-class band who simply blew apart a world-class venue!  Feel very sore but very blessed!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Forum MVP

I thought the lighting was fantastic at the anthem. Note that it has house lights that are better than any venue I’ve seen so that goes a long way. What was weird was that the lights never hit me all night. Not sure I’ve ever seen a show where they didn’t rotate through the crowd and light us up at all. I like a little distraction and blinding. It makes you lose contact with reality for a short period. I get not wanting a beam on you for 60 seconds though. 

someone said before that the dead never did lights like that. They didn’t have robotic tech then either. They would have gone all out if they had the LED light tech of today. Deadco does a ridiculous light show and you are constantly being blinded. 

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

. I was looking for the house lights during Truckin’ when they sing ‘sometimes the lights all shining on me’ like the dead used to 

Ha! One memory burned into my psyche from first show ever. The Omni was aglow with thousands of smiling faces and moving arms. It began to suggest and reveal the relationship between the band and audience the Dead craved, a living one; I thought well this isn’t just any typical band. 

I've known this, for years and years, but it really it home Saturday at the Anthem.  DSO, no matter how they play on a given night (and it usually goes quite swimmingly), really just plain NAILS the sound, arrangements, and feel of the songs from whatever era it is diving into.  As an old cassette collector, I might appreciate that as much or maybe even more than how well they play.  Musically, it was 1973 at the Anthem.  Random notes: 5 beat BIODTL. Nobody's Fault and Other One teases in the Truckin jam, Lisa sounded amazing on China Doll, great transition right into Me & My Uncle right from Loser, and Rider had that perfect early 70's tempo and perfectly pleasant jam in it.  I was very happy with the filler tune - thank you Rob B - because it's my 15 year old daughter's favorite GD song, or at least 2nd behind Scarlet, maybe, and after the show announcement I say to her, "Ok here comes the Mr. Charlie, nyuk nyuk" in my most dad voice ever.  And then the Charlie drops.. and the smiles ensue.  

If anyone's got audience recordings, drop em on the archive, etree, or just lemme know where to get em! :)  Peace!

Edited by DaysBetween
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Forum MVP

That Eyes groove channeled ...music plays the band... perfectly!  The whole show was so good but that Eyes just galloped and grooved along so smoothly!  The bridge at the end kept alternating between dark/angry + happy/go lucky - not a note was wasted :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
14 hours ago, Tea said:

That Eyes groove channeled ...music plays the band... perfectly!  The whole show was so good but that Eyes just galloped and grooved along so smoothly!  The bridge at the end kept alternating between dark/angry + happy/go lucky - not a note was wasted :)

Yes! Thanks for reminding me.....that Eyes was epic.....made for terrific dance groove.