The Anthem

LIkeEveryOne

Thanks for the recording.  Can't wait to listen.  I was there at RFK in '73, along with just about everyone I knew back then.   Yes, it was unbelievably hot and humid.  Just the start of a sizzling hot summer that continued with Watkins Glen (with Allmans and The Band) and 2 nights at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City (with The Band.)   DSO keeps it all alive -- so grateful for them.

• Like (+1) 1
7 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Great sound! Incredible job! Thanks so much, and thanks for the fishing stories.

I'm happy it came out good. The sound in there was among the best I've ever heard, had high hopes for the tape. Thanks for your stories, too. Whenever I tell mine, I feel like Al Bundy reliving the game when he made four touchdowns, haha. Gotta try to make it out next year.

1 hour ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Yea, I kept telling myself, shut up, Greg. You talk too much, but to no avail. 

A great time was had by all.

Haha, it was great swapping tales with you. Just passed by BillK's old street of residence on my delivery route, as I do almost every day, small world.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
18 hours ago, Hardpan said:

Just got my recording of this show uploaded to the archive if anyone wants to listen to it: https://archive.org/details/dso2018-12-01.nak300.cp1.cp4.flac24

Fantastic quality audience. Piping this through the stereo reveals the crisp highs that can get lost in many audience recordings. Bravo brother!!!! I love the feel of being at the show when listening to aud recordings but there’s nothing lacking with the sound like many recordings. Having those mics 15’? in the air I’m guessing helped the sound quality somewhat and kept talkers from affecting the sound as well. That big river was as fast as I remembered it. 1:25 into the 2nd set I left it all on the dance floor with that smoking tempo rendition not realizing I had to survive another 30 minutes of music in that set. Thank you GD for putting a China Doll after Eyes or Id have spent the rest of the night with an IV bag in my arm in a DC hospital next to guys with bullet wounds instead of with good friends chilling with cocktails. 😂

• Like (+1) 1

I'm glad you guys enjoy the recording. I just put the mics up and tried to capture the wonderful job Cotter and the band did in a great venue with great sound. It didn't seem too bad with talkers in there, or maybe the extra space kept the talking from getting so echoey and finding its way onto the recording. 

On 12/4/2018 at 10:04 PM, Hardpan said:

Just got my recording of this show uploaded to the archive if anyone wants to listen to it: https://archive.org/details/dso2018-12-01.nak300.cp1.cp4.flac24

Wow!   Just started listening to your recording -- which is fantastic.  They absolutely capture and convey the 1973 sound, the beauty and tempo and freshness and love and everything.  I was there, and it takes me right back.  Thank you, DSO, and thank you, Hardpan, for sharing it.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
17 hours ago, Hardpan said:

It didn't seem too bad with talkers in there, or maybe the extra space kept the talking from getting so echoey and finding its way onto the recording. 

Based on the lineage in the link to the recordings, it looks like you used the Nak shotgun capsules (CP-4).  These are designed to cancel sound other than what the mics are pointed directly toward, so any talkers should indeed be minimized.  But note that these capsules were not designed to capture full frequency ambient space. They're typically used to record dialog in situations were a mic can't be placed directly in front of an actor.

• Like (+1) 1
1 hour ago, John A said:

Based on the lineage in the link to the recordings, it looks like you used the Nak shotgun capsules (CP-4).  These are designed to cancel sound other than what the mics are pointed directly toward, so any talkers should indeed be minimized.  But note that these capsules were not designed to capture full frequency ambient space. They're typically used to record dialog in situations were a mic can't be placed directly in front of an actor.

I used the CP-4s, along with another set of Nak 300s with the CP-1 capsules, with the gain turned down on the CP-1s until there was no clipping on all but the loudest notes of the concert. I was using just the shotguns this summer when I started taping and wanted to see how the CP-1s sounded side by side, and the recording seems to sound the best with the sources blended together. The CP-1s pick up more talking but seem to complement the CP-4s and help to fill out the sound. I'm new at this, just learning as I go. Might see about adding some more mics, maybe not, we will see.

• Like (+1) 1
1 hour ago, LIkeEveryOne said:

This may sound pathetic, but I downloaded Hardpan’s 3+ Hour recording and listen to the whole thing tonight on my flight between Philly and Des Moines. It fit perfectly in the hours between.   Ahhh the memories, seems like just yesterday! 

We passed headphones back and forth for a couple hours after the show in the hotel and listened to it on the ride home, now that's pathetic 🤪🤪

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
7 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

So, this Anthem show is a recreation of 6/09/73. Set list that night includes box of Rain. They put it on the shelf the following month, on 7/28/73, never playing it again until 1986. One of the last times played before going into hibernation for thirteen years. Pretty cool. 

And I was at the Hampton, va show in 86 when they busted it back out. Go listen to an audience tape of that show. Still gives me chills to hear the crowd when they see Phil step up to the mic. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

That is so cool. Yea, I watched it last night right before I posted. When I first got turned on to the Dead by a veteran dead head, it was explained to me like this; 

forget Saint Steven, you’re never gonna see it. You’re seeing a show if you see little red rooster or the wheel and oh, my god, if you see box of rain or Dark Star.....you’re really seeing some shit. 

I saw rooster and the wheel in the same show seven years later. I caught my first box of rain after seven years and Dark Star after ten. Brent was Dead twenty one days later. All my non deadhead friends were like ‘what are you gonna do?’ And I was like ‘I don’t care, I saw Dark Star.’

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, gr8fulpair said:

And I was at the Hampton, va show in 86 when they busted it back out. Go listen to an audience tape of that show. Still gives me chills to hear the crowd when they see Phil step up to the mic. 

I was there at Hampton too......the crowd was so loud I could barely hear the song being played.