I saw it coming!

Taper Ron

Every time there is an increase in new registrations (800% this month).  Soon there are a bunch of ridiculous and often hateful posts.

I know that some are legitimate fans and/or folks interested in DSO and the music of the Grateful Dead.  Please don't let this current attack give you the wrong idea.  Normally this is a kind caring community.  I am disgusted at the current state of the union.

To the Troublemakers you are warned Ridiculous posts that babble about nothing, posts that are hateful, that have no Social or Political import WILL BE DELETED and the offender will be dealt with in a manner in which I see fit.  You are welcome to run back to whatever forum you came from, call me a dictator or tyrant or whatever - it won't be the first time.

I have started the Purge!

• Forum MVP

Thanks, Ron! It is interesting how this type of infection flares up every so often, then inevitably dies away after you administer the antidote. These things happen, although so far as I know few if any of us go to other’s sites to stir shit up under the guise of vehement objection to something said there.

You are truly appreciated.

Taper Ron, I actually have found a fondness of you and don’t want strife with you, but some discourse. 

By by the way, the snow looks beautiful where you live and glad you’re getting to enjoy it.

I actually have lurked on this board for years, never posting, but felt I had to say something finally as members were discrediting younger people “touch-heads” and phish fans... so... as one of these people I had to step up and at least get my opinion in.

Maybe others had the same reaction and you’re now blocking their opinions from your website?

Im not exactly sure what pays the bills for this forum, but I do know a few things and one of those things are attention/traffic (good or bad) = an opportunity to monetize. 

Ive noticed in only a couple of days here you have a nice user interface and good amount of traffic. Good people too. Why not invite others with different opinions and sell more ad space? 

• Forum MVP

It is funded by Ron and donations from we the fans. No ad space and no monetizing by, with, or through third parties.

Since you like the friendly banter in your JK/Christmas Reunion Show thread (and the link to an unkind opinion about WSP), I am happy to share this: some of us have been on this site and its earlier iterations going back to the old DNC days. Many others have been here for years. We have seen various troll attacks from different sources, to include (but not limited to) Zoners and people with deep grudges about one thing or person or the other. They seem to crop up every three or so years and we were probably about due for one now.

The Penn's Peak show incident was reported on other jam band sites, and that is perfectly understandable. Some of the posts on them devolved into less that charitable comments about DSO and its fan base. What we said here was being shared on other sites. Again, that is fair enough. These are public forums.

People are certainly entitled to their own opinions about us as wookies, the fake Jer, and their perceptions of our whole supposed scene. As a consequence some of us are a bit prone to think the worst when a whole new crop of folks come on here within a short period of time with comments very much in line with what we have seen before.

The fan base in general has changed, and on our board new ones have come while older ones have gone. That is natural and the way of the world. But one thing has remained constant here, as it has on other band sites - we know who we are. There is a tendency to circle the wagons and view with skepticism anyone who pops up in the midst of such posting. 

Oh, and if you want to refer to JK, the last name is spelled Kadlecik.

Poor_Sue,  as I have said everyone is welcome to there opinion. Under different, normal circumstances  things would be quite different.  I am now in a defensive mode, I have to consider what the actual intent of the post is.  We have been through this too many times not to know what is going on.

Suddenly registrations will increase then posts start usually as a reply to someones thread it may  praise or criticism of someone or something then another new member will reply to that their only objective is to stir up trouble.  I have seen in the past where a person would submit a post logout and login using a friends account and reply to his own post - I know I can see there IP and where they login from. 

Until now I had not heard the term "Touch Heads" nor complaints about Phish Phans and don't know that any accusations against anybody were actually started by established members of the forums.

I haven't blocked anyone from posting with the exception of the person who registered as "JeffMattsonCatering" who in this thread where I stated my intentions posted a reply saying, basically, what a bunch of idiots we all are and calling band members names.  What do you think I would do, rollover and say I was just kidding.  I say what I mean and mean what I say.  Actually I have blocked one person, Wharf Rat. 

I have placed restrictions on several people who had made questionable posts, but I have not blocked them, I just want to see what they are posting before they stir up shit. As long as they are not hateful they will be posted if they can't act like civilized adults they will go away!

I just have no intention of these forums becoming hateful like others that have been shut down because of the muck posted by a few troublemakers.

1 hour ago, Poor_Sue said:

By by the way, the snow looks beautiful where you live and glad you’re getting to enjoy it.

I'm afraid I don't much enjoy the snow, don't have chains for my wheelchair.

• Forum MVP

This is the only forum that i have or probably ever will be a part of. The people I've met from here are some of kindest, most heart centered, and music centric deadheads that I've met. Unpretentious, not headier-than-thou. 

Thank you Ron. Censure the shit out of this place, please- the dso fam appreciates you.

• Forum MVP

By the way, I was the phish kids commentor. I never blamed anyone for what happened at Penns. I don’t have enough information to blame anyone and at this point, like most I’m ready to just let it rest. I have many friends that are serious fans of phish and not just there for the party. I’ve seen 20 plus times myself. Not my cup of tea currently but I’ve seen them. I respect their musicianship. 

I support Ron doing whatever he feels necessary to maintain the civil discourse of this form. He is the captain of this ship and he has never steered us wrong. 

• Forum MVP

After reading through the Penns thread I was going to comment when I realized Ron had locked it,  so I'll add I brief comment here. I am deeply saddened if what apparently went down did,  as I was when unsavory elements invaded the Dead scene in the 90's. I also,  like Poetry girl and others,  was a bit offended by the touch head references. No matter when you come into an established scene there is always a learning curve and it is the responsibility of the veterans to teach the newcomers. Many of these newcomers will become the veterans of the future. 

• Forum MVP
21 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

We were all touch heads at one time. 

But maybe not in the sense some suggested which is why I asked a definition. But yes! Out of touch, swimming in deep water,, obtuse. Those things.... Black throated wind. You’ve done better by me than I’ve done by you. Give you my eyes and all their lies. 

Gosh this his music is alive- always another layer of awareness of what awareness isn’t. We are the lucky ones. To be on the golden road. 

I'll share this- 

This weekend, I had this guy come up to me and ask me accusatorily if I called him an asshole as I walked by. Well, guess what buddy, your conformational manner just confirmed it. I didn’t look him in the eye as I passed by. In no way other than his position in space as I muttered to myself was he involved. He assumed it was directed at him. “ give him enough rope to hang himself”. And he poked me in the back hard and told me I better not of called him an asshole. I now KNOW  he’s an asshole. 

• Forum MVP

I remember stumbling down New Orleans streets at 5am and thought you called me an asshole too. I think I swung and missed. But to be fair my balance wasn’t too good at that point or I would have connected and my memory of that weekend is fuzzy. And seeing the dead body in front of our bar threw my timing out of whack. I do remember us mad at the cops that the closed the block down after we walked all that way. The year before there was an actual asshole confrontation with a different group of friends and the gf was getting ready to swing at a dude who was refusing to give back a phone and if you know her, you will realize how ridiculous the thought of her punching someone is but it was close to going down. The funniest part was the dude lifted his shirt in a motion that was supposed to reveal a weapon but there was nothing there so it was like a thanks for reassuring us moment. I’m not a fighter but I was preparing to duck and do a takedown and let the girls unleash with their flats. After that weekend of dancing their legs were like softball bats. I’m not into violence but that was the closest I’ve been to fighting since high school and it would have been in the spirit of New Orleans and he wasn’t a big guy and we had a big numbers advantage. If he was big i would have been more polite. 

Archived