Dark star 

Drums

Low spark space tease to torture tea 

Hey Jude 

I’ll take a melody 

GDTRFB

White rabbit 

• Forum MVP

This was a really fun show. I had some trepidation about being here because it's the place I saw my fav show ever last year with the epic 68 recreation. Ie: there was really no way to top what I had seen last year. But it was easy to get my groove on to this unusual set list that really offered something for everybody. The black throated wind was just sublime, Eaton killed it. I love that song. Ramble on, all over now and day job, while somewhat cookie cutter songs we're played  in a rippin style and had the crowd getting down. Awesome. The whole second set was killer opening with the HSF just got us all lathered up. Great dance group running into some surprise friends!!!! The upper balcony was pretty open. Pretty nice venue overall. Good sized crowd, seemed full but not over packed. Good Northern Lights IPA from Charlottesville on tap for 16oz at fucking $8, fuck.i was sooooooooo jacked for that Low Spark, and to be teased, fuck.. haha it was fucking awesome. The hey jude that ensued was outstanding with barraco Killin the keys. Good to see everybody and have a great sweaty dance party, that's why I come. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Forum MVP

Aiko, Black-Throated Wind, Friend of the Devil, On the Road Again, Ramble On Rose, All Over Now, Broken Arrow, Liberty, Let It Grow > Day Job

Help > Slipknot > Franklins, Corrina > Dark Star > D/S > Low Spark Tease > Hey Jude > I’ll Take a Melody > GDTRFB 

White Rabbit 

Venue was filled out without being too crowded.  1st set had a 90’s feel - great BTW, Ramble on Rose, FOTD.  Let It Grow before Day Job was my highlight.

2nd set just ripped it - wicked Dark Star.  

Outta space they made my jaw hit the floor.  Low Spark - clear as day.  It had a few of us goin nuts!  I was strapping myself in for the ride and after a solid minute, it began to lose its structure.  Nooooooooo.........!  The saving grace was a brilliant Hey Jude - sweetness with raw power.  A calipso-infused I’ll take a Melody, yielded to a bone-rattling GDTRFB.  As it opened I had enough space to sprint in a circle - it’s true:  the faster we go, the rounder we get!  As it really got goin, I stayed with the tempo and it felt like I was trying My hand at bull riding!  Luckily I was thrown off just as it crashed to close.  Wow!  White Rabbit had that mystical vibe and lovely Lisa simply slayed it!

My most favorite music with very, very special people.  Those two things together are right up there with the tippy-top things in life.

Thanks DSO and crew!  That Low Spark tease really was quite cruel though :)

Looking foward to the Anthem tonight!  Not sure how to summon the energy - 2 gallons of water and mucho protein is where I’m starting.  See you freaks tonight ❤️

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

It was clearly low spark space for prob 45-60 secs. Assumed it was coming for the 1st time ever since Dso loves Norfolk more than anywhere else. Why do u say?  They played the only 68 show there so obviously they love Norfolk and they were so so close to releasing low spark so maybe they were saying don’t get a big head Norfolk thinking you get the only 68 and only low spark. They played hard to get last night after being really easy last year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
On 12/1/2018 at 5:46 PM, Dead duck said:

Maybe that Low Spark baby gets birthed NYE or maybe jubilee? 

I preferJubilee for extremely selfish reasons

Its a heads up for chuck to hit the road again. That tease came as a test of the emergency broadcasting network. This was just a test. In the case of an actual low spark, you better have tickets. I’ve got my Philly flight booked but flying out early Sunday. Bix and I were pumped about the cowboys beating the saints and in the spirit I yelled a go cowboys waiting for the Uber telling some people coming from a club I’m much less likely to be stabbed in DC than Philly saying that to which the DC guys said if you say that in our neighborhood you will get stabbed and they didn’t say it jokingly. Before I yelled that I saw at least 4 cops close even though they would have likely looked the other way for the 1st few blows. It would have been a cool story getting to explain the scars and a good omen for a deep playoff run. Drift complete. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Being curious about low spark I grabbed the deadbase in Combo with google and I found out that the 1st time that Low spark was played by Bobby and Phil was when The Dead played it On 6/21/03 and 6/25/03 but Steve winwood joined them on stage as he was the opening band. Rob B was with the dead at that time but not sure if Steve took over on keys during it. It’s hard to find out much about it but barraco was there when it was played the 1st time. It looks like the Q played it as well but DB50 ends at 12/31/14 and looks like it was played in 2016 by the Q. So..looks like Rob B was with at least 1 original dead member around 1/3 of the time it was ever played by them and will be at 100% of the shows Dso will play it at. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
11 hours ago, Island Bro said:

And noting that Barraco has been playing during past couple years with his other band California Kind...some amazing 15+ minute grooves!

I played Low Spark with Phil and Warren as early as 99. I sang it with Phil and Friends in spring 2000. It became a staple of the Q in fall of 2000 with Warren singing. It was also a staple of The Zen Tricksters  when I was a member as early as 89 with Mattson singing

• Like (+1) 4

since the show was an elective, DSO can play anything--this lets them branch out to more songs including JGB.  I haven't researched but I don't think GD played Broken Arrow (a Robbie Robertson song covered by Phil and maybe JGB).

Rob, didn't Phil and Friends play Low Spark at Lockn' #2, when they played just before Winwood played with WSP?  I know they played at least one Winwood song, a topic of discussion that followed.

• Forum MVP

Masters of war was never played by Jerry or the dead that I could find. It was played by later iterations. That’s one Dso has played. I’m sure there are several more. 

And that just shows that that I shouldn’t trust any site to tell me all times played as the page I found showed that 2003 show as the 1st ever played and 9x ever played lol. Deadbase also doesn’t show all times played for anything but JGB and GD. I guess trying to tally every single time any of the dead in their hundreds of iterations played any song is a Herculean task. I guess we will just have to be content with GD and JGB (and DSO) lists ;)  

I aint often right but ive never been wrong ;)