Does DSO do all thier ticketing thru Ticketmaster/LiveNation ?

Topcat

After not getting selected as a "verified fan" for next summers Dead & Co show in Noblesville IN i have decided to NEVER....EVER buy tickets from TM/LN again. If this means that i will miss some of my favorite bands...so be it. I have been buying tickets to my home outdoor venue...Deer Creek....from TM for the last 25 years ! If i am not a verified fan...no one is ! This is the last straw....it's been harder and harder to get tickets every year.This is the only mid-west stop with nice campgrounds around....stayed at Sleepy Bear last summer. So you know all the deadheads from every state around gonna want a ticket.The online tickets to the show will be gone in minutes. But you can now buy from TM's resale site at inflated prices...and they have only had the verified fan presale yesterday! 

A lot of the shows i have been seeing lately have used Etix,Ticketfly,Eventbrite.....all have been good and with minimal fees.

I just looked at my June 28th ticket from the Egyptian last year....it's a LiveNation ticket.

I just wonder if the bands(especially ones i like) consider how their tickets are being marketed or even care........

Enough of my rant......what's your take on ticketing ?

Check out this link for a better understanding of what is going on with TM/LN.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ticketmaster-resellers-las-vegas-1.4828535?platform=hootsuite

Peace  WildBill

DSO seems to use a ticketing service with reasonable fees for their Fan Club tickets. They can go pretty quickly, I'm not sure if it is an allotment thing or what. Buying tickets through the venue if you miss the Fan Club tickets can go through whatever ticketing service the venue uses, and usually seems to mean higher fees. I agree, fees are brutal, and I can't justify going to see bands with high ticket prices, only to pay another twenty or more bucks in fees.

• Forum MVP

Was debating D&C at deer creek but I hate Wednesday shows. It takes a show I really need to see to work 2 days take a day off and then work 2 more days. DSO I’d do it. D&C Monday’s Friday’s or weekends only for me. 

But yeah there is a special place in hell for TM. My old arch nemesis. They are the reason Phil is the only living member I haven’t been able to get my boys to see. Pardon my vulgarity but they can suck a big ol bag o dicks. 

• Forum MVP

If those burgeoning ticket distribution outlets could charge you as much as TM does, then they would.

I would encourage you to go to all shows that you are able to and want to go to, and enjoy them without a worry in the world.  You can get reacquainted with reality after the glow of the show wears off.

Life is short.  

• Forum MVP

Ticketmaster, Wal-Mart, Monsanto, etc, are but symptoms of a larger problem. It's a problem of consciousness, and it afflicts the entire human race and all it's creations. Singling out Ticketmaster is somewhat pointless in my opinion. Why miss shows, one of the greatest things we have, over a futile attempt to fight a problem that is much larger? 

The ticket seller can be selected by the venue, as is the case with the Norva, which uses  AXS.  They stick a $10 ticket and $2 facility fee on a $25 ticket--a 50% hike. Get two tickets for the price of three.  Are we stupid?

Want it at will call? Add $6. Want it mailed? add $15.  On your app, no charge.

But you can go to the bar behind the venue and buy them direct, for a $3.50 fee.

Greed.

• Forum MVP

Dso used to use mission tix for fan club and think it’s maybe eventbright now as long as the venue will allow them to sell a block of tickets through dso’s service, but some venues do not allow any fan club tix but there are always a limited number Graf Dso can offer that way and when those are gone you have to order through the venue.  They are not managed by livenation so that don’t have to play Ticketmaster venues so they play whatever venue they choose and the tickets are sold through that venues ticket merchant, whether it be Ticketmaster, axs, ticketfly etc. Dso has said many times that they hate the exorbitant fees and that they have zero say in the matter. A Cincinnati Ticketmaster $25 ticket with $19 in fees got Dino to get on the boards and explain they have no control over any of that. Plus the band gets nothing of the fees and likely costs them revenue as it may push the ticket cost above some fans price threshold. $25 no problem. $44 no thank you(for casual spectators)

• Forum MVP
13 minutes ago, Rude said:

Dso used to use mission tix for fan club and think it’s maybe eventbright now as long as the venue will allow them to sell a block of tickets through dso’s service, but some venues do not allow any fan club tix but there are always a limited number Graf Dso can offer that way and when those are gone you have to order through the venue.  They are not managed by livenation so that don’t have to play Ticketmaster venues so they play whatever venue they choose and the tickets are sold through that venues ticket merchant, whether it be Ticketmaster, axs, ticketfly etc. Dso has said many times that they hate the exorbitant fees and that they have zero say in the matter. A Cincinnati Ticketmaster $25 ticket with $19 in fees got Dino to get on the boards and explain they have no control over any of that. Plus the band gets nothing of the fees and likely costs them revenue as it may push the ticket cost above some fans price threshold. $25 no problem. $44 no thank you(for casual spectators)

That year 2 Cincy tix cost me as much or more than 3 Columbus tix (fan club) 

you are correct that the bands don't get the fees and that they hate them.  If a band is watching its market, it might have to reduce its price to keep the total price affordable enough to fill the seats. IOW if they need to price a ticket at $30 and there is a $15 fee, they have to price at $15. Half of their revenue is lopped off by the ticket seller.  That is so wrong.

The fee should be 15% of face, not $15.

• Forum MVP

I figured Ticketmaster made more than the band did that night for printing a freaking tickets. What’s even crazier is that they were losing money each quarter until recently which seems baffling. That was largely caused by trying to monopolize the venue market and overpaying for rights to sell tickets and purchasing venues. Eventually you will go to Walmart Ticketmaster Taco Bell to buy your tickets, cars and medical care and everyone will be an employee of the 1 corporation. “Hi I’m doctor Taco Bell #54893, tell me what’s ailing you”. 

• Forum MVP

There’s also a show/movie that I can’t think of that kept going back to a joke similar where they were like going to run to the Kmart/something/taco bell and every time it was a different one. I’m searching my database but can’t get it even to the tip of my tongue. 

Well......this was the year i was gonna take my kids,their spouses and the granddaughter that  just turned 13.Now i think i will just take the whole family with all the kids...right down to the 1 year old to the shakedown at the lot.....buy all of them a tye-dye and a kind grilled cheese....hang with all the heads before the show and then head home when it starts. When we get to my house i will re-play last years Deer Creek show on the big screen.I bought the complete tours webcasts from Nugs last year...have'nt started rewatching them yet.....i will save that show for the family....

And i will be $$$ ahead.

Peace   WildBill

Thank for the input folks!

Archived