Rolling stones

Rude

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
38 minutes ago, Mason's Child said:

So this steely Dan thing made me laugh today when I realized they were Rikki don’t lose that number. 

yes, their biggest hit ever. and probably one of my least fav songs.

other hits include Do It Again, Dirty Work, Midnight Cruiser, and Reelin in The Years- all from their first album "can't buy a thrill". great album, all songs are classics. can't forget My Old School and Kid Charlemegne(Sp?), both of which Barraco has been known to sing and play.

I'm sure they had more, but I wasn't alive in 70s to know.

Aja and Gaucho bring in some serious funk.

Gold Teeth 2 is one of my favs, and I'm surprised how often fans don't know it. From "Katy Lied" album.

no that you cared 🙂

Hope that Baby and Momma are doing goood. Oh, and you too Brotha ❤️

• Forum MVP

On a 70s note I may do ELO’s your next summer.  The Nashville show is freakin July 3rd.... July 4th is our anniversary and we do something big every year and ELO doesn’t qualify as that. But if nothing works the hockey arena won’t be half sold so it should be room to groove. 

Big fan here.  My top albums

6. Katy Lied

5. Countdown to Ecstasy

4. Royal Scam

3. Pretzel Logic   (minus Rikki )

2. Donald Fagen, The Nightfly

.... and #1 is

1. Goucho   

The not-played-on-the-radio Stones songs are my favorites (deep blues)

Congrats MC...what a journey. 

• Forum MVP
On 12/14/2018 at 5:21 PM, franknkeene said:

Big fan here.  My top albums

6. Katy Lied

5. Countdown to Ecstasy

4. Royal Scam

3. Pretzel Logic   (minus Rikki )

2. Donald Fagen, The Nightfly

.... and #1 is

1. Goucho   

The not-played-on-the-radio Stones songs are my favorites (deep blues)

Congrats MC...what a journey. 

I love all the albums but man, Aja and can't buy a thrill don't make your list!?

To begin with Aja is a masterpiece.  I thought about it and did not know were to place it because I played it to death in the early years and I don't select it for play these days.   I have this 'condition' with many Stones songs.   As a side, this never happens with GD music for obvious reasons.

Holy smokes...I forgot about Can't Buy a Thrill.   I'm sampling the album now and getting re-acquainted as I type.   Tuesday is a long drive day and it will be selected for sure.     Brooklyn (Owes the Charmer Under Me) is playing right now - what a sweet tune with some nice pedal steel.  

• Forum MVP

I think with Steely Dan it's a case of first was best with Can't Buy a Thrill.  But I agree all albums are great.  Their sound became increasingly polished with each album, culminating in Gaucho.

As for The Stones, Mick Jagger prancing around the stage is something I can live without, but I understand tons of folks feel otherwise.

• Forum MVP

I dunno. Yea, the Stones have plenty of songs that make them fucking awesome. Yea, then what? They tour once every four years at best. Tough to get into them. Maybe if the good old Grateful Dead wasn’t my benchmark. I’ll take the Stones over the Beatles any day. 

• Forum MVP

Stones have some absolutely phenomenal songs. 

Don’t hate on a man cause he can dance. 

Beast of Burden

Aingie

Sympathy for the devil

Gimme Shelter

I got into with a stones fan though that said they wrote better songs than the dead. I was mindboggled by that opinion. Not one song near the level mountains of moon the eleven Stella. You get the idea. I could go on for awhile. They do however have some damn good songs. I take Stones over Steely Dan admitting I know more Stones than Steely Dan

no doubt the are Stones one of the greats.  

A library of epic tunes.

I have seen them once (1989) and thought they were not a good live band.  Watched plenty of other live performances.  Seems like they can't reproduce their sound on stage.  For lack of a better term, they sound very empty on-stage and not really together.    Probably just me.

I will say this about the Stones of the last 20 years....they are caricatures of themselves.  

I find it odd when you see the aging rock stars trying to act like the same young men they were 50 years ago, instead of allowing themselves to grow into something else...as we all do. 

• Forum MVP

My two older sisters saw the Stones in Philly in ‘72, third row on the floor. I was ten at the time. My one sister was changed after that show. She bought every album they had and every one that came out. Funny, she was always dancing like Mick Jagger while blaring her stereo. I was force fed Stones music through the bedroom walls.

• Forum MVP

Listen to some early 70s live Stones. I remember driving back to Chicago from

milwaukee in the mystery machine with a 73 stones show on that blew my mind. 

Edit: I wasn’t driving. I was riding back laid out on a green velvet couch with my legs propped up. That was a fun ride. 

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Mango said:

I don't like Nicky Hopkins' piano playing with jgb. Totally drunk sounding and sloppy and show boating.

But seriously, how did we undrift? 

Brooklyn is one of favs.

Not a super fan of his originals, but Jerry prob didn’t mind taking a break for his solo songs. He played that whole tour I think end of 75 which was a pretty good Jerry band run imo. 

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, 2muchfun said:

Yes I do.

Like Dylan I have seen Stones in most decades since 70's.

Same here. Every decade since the ‘70s for the Stones. I missed Dylan this decade.

Nicky also played with my two Pre-GD loves, the Airplane and Quicksilver. Another one with an incredible career who died way too young.

• Forum MVP

Here are some Thoughts on the Stones brought to you by Thoughts on the Dead.  

I like the end, with Mick having achieved "full Jagger...Nothing else to sell, right? Look again. Mick sold off the damn stage.  Good for you, Mick."  :lol:

https://www.thoughtsonthedead.com/several-photos-of-mick-jagger-with-commentary-thereupon/

• Forum MVP
22 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

Beast of Burden

Aingie

Sympathy for the devil

Gimme Shelter

I got into with a stones fan though that said they wrote better songs than the dead. I was mindboggled by that opinion. Not one song near the level mountains of moon the eleven Stella. You get the idea. I could go on for awhile. They do however have some damn good songs. I take Stones over Steely Dan admitting I know more Stones than Steely Dan

The dead luckily connected with Barlow and Hunter. If not we wouldn’t have known each other all these years. The stones songs are better written than non hunter/Barlow songs. Our boys were music Smith’s not wordsmiths. 

• Forum MVP
On 12/16/2018 at 3:32 PM, Mason's Child said:

Beast of Burden

Aingie

Sympathy for the devil

Gimme Shelter

Come on bro...it's subjective. From my perspective Steely Dan is way better than the stones. From our shared perspective GD is the ultimate. Do you really need to feel like the music you prefer is inherently better than others, from an objective perspective? It's just silly, like thinking that one's religion is better than others.

Archived