Top 10 albums

Rude

• Forum MVP

Apologies in advance, I could really do this forever and I already have some glaring omissions in mind but I capped myself at 25.

I did not include any Grateful Dead or live albums of any sort and I limited myself to one album per band. So even though I chose DSOTM, Wish You Were Here is also incredibly high up. There are many other cases like that. And yes, I do like The Beatles. White Album is tops for me.

1. Bob Dylan - Time Out Of Mind
  2. Ween - Quebec
  3. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
  4. Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
  5. Tom Waits - Mule Variations
  6. Traveling Wilbury's - Volume One
  7. Paul Simon - Graceland
  8. Chick Corea - Return to Forever
  9. Sleep - Dopesmoker
  10. Prince - Purple Rain
  11. Nas - Illmatic
  12. Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson
  13. David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
  14. Warren Zevon - Life'll Kill Ya
  15. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
  16. Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
  17. Frank Sinatra - In The Wee Small Hours
  18. Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
  19. Spirit - Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus
  20. Wolf Parade - Apologies To The Queen Mary
  21. Madvillain - Madvillainy
  22. Dr. Dre - 2002
  23. Steely Dan - Aja
  24. Talking Heads - Remain In Light
  25. Parliament - Mothership Connection

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

My grandparents always were listening to the Statler Bros on 8track; their sounds floated through the house intermingled with the smells of butter beans, fried fatback, homemade biscuits and garden fresh sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. I got so tickled over hearing “Big Iron” over SXM, realizing how similar the song sounds to the Statler Bros tunes. Never in my wildest! But a cowboy song is a cowboy song, right? 

• Forum MVP

Ouch - 9:20 tip on a Monday?  We'll see how long I stay awake...

I'll take Tex Tech:  55-51.  This means you should take the under and bet the ranch on UVA.

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Tea said:

Ouch - 9:20 tip on a Monday?  We'll see how long I stay awake...

I'll take Tex Tech:  55-51.  This means you should take the under and bet the ranch on UVA.

The ncaa basketball championship makes tea’s top 10 albums today looks like. 

For me the GD are a stand alone topic.  My list....

15. The Doors - Soft Parade
14. The Who - Tommy
13. Dave Brubeck - Take Five
12. Peter Gabriel - Plays Live.  Wikipedia: "This album was originally released as a double album and longplay cassette in 1983, with sixteen songs"
11. Michael Hedges - Watching My Life Go By (love the lyrics and harmonics.  He was a mystic in concert (SUNY New Paltz, Carnegie Hall, and Tarrytown NY Theatre...RIP).
10.  Yes. Going for the One  (Awaken is my favorite song of all time!)
9. Pat Matheny Group - American Garage
8. Steely Dan - Goucho
7. Donald Fagen - The Nightlfly 

6. Pat Matheny - New Chautauqua
5. Jethro Tull -  Bursting Out (Live.  This tour showcased Songs From the Wood album)
4. Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior (Chick Corea, Al Di Meola, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White)
5. Yes - Tormato (I love this album.  The 'YES In the Round' tour was my favorite tour of my life)
2. Joni Mitchell - Shadow & Light (Joni Jazz with Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker, Don Alias)
    And the #1 album, drum roll....
1.  Yes. Close to the Edge !!

Honorable Mentions

-Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (NEW to me after reading Ozzy's book whilst in in the UK, "I am Ozzy" Great read!). 

Speaking politics, I'm a "stayer"....I say "No" to Brexit.

-Peter Gabriel Live in Athens 1987 (Not an album, rather a DVD of concert)

-Hamilton Soundtrack

Interesting how Soft Parade (#15) and Tormato (#5) are unpopular albums among the fans.  I love those albums.  Fun thread!

• Forum MVP
8 minutes ago, franknkeene said:

For me the GD are a stand alone topic.  My list....

15. The Doors - Soft Parade
14. The Who - Tommy
13. Dave Brubeck - Take Five
12. Peter Gabriel - Plays Live.  Wikipedia: "This album was originally released as a double album and longplay cassette in 1983, with sixteen songs"
11. Michael Hedges - Watching My Life Go By (love the lyrics and harmonics.  He was a mystic in concert (SUNY New Paltz, Carnegie Hall, and Tarrytown NY Theatre...RIP).
10.  Yes. Going for the One  (Awaken is my favorite song of all time!)
9. Pat Matheny Group - American Garage
8. Steely Dan - Goucho
7. Donald Fagen - The Nightlfly 

6. Pat Matheny - New Chautauqua
5. Jethro Tull -  Bursting Out (Live.  This tour showcased Songs From the Wood album)
4. Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior (Chick Corea, Al Di Meola, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White)
5. Yes - Tormato (I love this album.  The 'YES In the Round' tour was my favorite tour of my life)
2. Joni Mitchell - Shadow & Light (Joni Jazz with Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker, Don Alias)
    And the #1 album, drum roll....
1.  Yes. Close to the Edge !!

Honorable Mentions

-Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (NEW to me after reading Ozzy's book whilst in in the UK, "I am Ozzy" Great read!). 

Speaking politics, I'm a "stayer"....I say "No" to Brexit.

-Peter Gabriel Live in Athens 1987 (Not an album, rather a DVD of concert)

-Hamilton Soundtrack

Interesting how Soft Parade (#15) and Tormato (#5) are unpopular albums among the fans.  I love those albums.  Fun thread!

Michael Hedges! I had the privilege of seeing him perform twice in college......another life cut short too soon

4 minutes ago, acududeman said:

Michael Hedges! I had the privilege of seeing him perform twice in college......another life cut short too soon

Yeah. From the Sub at SUNY New Paltz to Carnegie Hall a very short time later - a month at most.   Leo Kotkie opened and joined Hedges on stage at Carnegie.   Hedges put an incense stick on the head of his guitar and lit it saying the Tarrytown crowd was too stiff.    The fragrance filled the entire theater.

I cried when I heard the news of Jaco Pastorius.

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, franknkeene said:

Yeah. From the Sub at SUNY New Paltz to Carnegie Hall a very short time later - a month at most.   Leo Kotkie opened and joined Hedges on stage at Carnegie.   Hedges put an incense stick on the head of his guitar and lit it saying the Tarrytown crowd was too stiff.    The fragrance filled the entire theater.

I cried when I heard the news of Jaco Pastorius.

I saw Jaco Pastorius perform in a small jazz club in Greenwich Village just after Christmas of '82 (?)...….Kenwood Dennard on drums.....smokin'!

A couple of years later he played at Vanderbilt U. when I was in college......he layered several bass parts together in a loop to perform Purple Haze.....cosmic shit

Archived