Terrapin >

Help >

Slip >

Wharf rat >

Lovelight (RB w/ box back nitties!)

White rabbit

• Like (+1) 9
  • Forum MVP

Looks it. Estimated and eyes switched places. Interesting, I bet that was nice to hear. Help/slip but no Frank. War frat instead. Nice. Lisa singing white rabbit? I had someone tell me Saturday night that the highlight of jam in the sand last year was Lisa singing White Rabbit. Kinda funny, they just keep pulling a rabbit out of the hat. Makes you wonder why don’t I just go to every show they play. 

As always, everything was great! My dad got to hear everything he was hoping for (Sailor > Saint, Help > Slip, and Wharf Rat)!

Some highlights/thoughts:

Tighten' Up Jam in Dancin' was short but great, always love to hear it.

The Cryptical > Drums > Other One > Cryptical was easily the highlight of the show (for me) and alone was worth the price of admission. Multiple themes, build-ups, etc! I was especially blown away by Eaton's rhythm playing - he led the jam at multiple parts with some awesome chord licks and progressions. Twice during the jam the song descended into space before returning to the theme with an awesome buildup. Incredible!

The rest of the second set was great as well.

Set three was non-stop highlights: the Eyes was exceptional and included a Skip solo, Terrapin was perfect, Help > Slip > Wharf Rat was fun and unexpected.

Happy New Years everybody, Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Estimated and eyes switched places. Interesting, I bet that was nice to hear.

Oddly, the Estimated Eyes switcheroo isn't as rare as one might imagine. The Dead did it 14 times, mostly in '90 and '91.  Although the most famous occurrence is probably Colgate 11-4-77.

This 3 set beast looks awesome!  I saw the final 6 New Year's Dead shows.  The 3 set ritual slowly devolved.  Proper 3rd sets in '86 and '87, then a 3 song encore in '88, then down to double encores in '89 and '90, and finally just Knockin' encore in '91.  At that point, with Uncle Bobo having just passed away, the writing was on the wall.  NYE Grateful Dead was no longer.  Great that DSO carries the torch with such gusto.

• Like (+1) 5

What a beautiful evening !

This forum, Jersey City72 in particular, gave me advice on what tickets to purchase and he took me to the promised land. We drove 8 hours up in some ugly weather and grabbed a quick dinner and hustled off to the show.

The seats were just perfect.  I loved the music and I'll leave the setlist to others but not a bad song was played.

The wonderful folks we had the pleasure of sitting next to helped make the night special. A younger couple and her parents were just good people. Blowing up balloons and handing them out, special 2019 "glasses" given out, we shared taking photos but the best thing we shared were good vibes. I just felt a special sincere vibe from these people who I'd never met but was lucky enough to spend New Years with. Hugs at midnight and more when the show was over.  It was well worth the drive for the music for the great company. We drove 8 hours back this morning to Carolina with a strong feeling that we started 2019 out just right.

Thank you to DSO and thank you to the cool people from New Jersey we hung with. Raleigh next !

• Like (+1) 6
  • Forum MVP

That set 3 looks juicy as fuck. That’s one of those sets where you are like are u trying to kill us. 

2 minutes ago, Sticks said:

Raleigh next !

Charlotte is Friday night b4 Raleigh. Gotta make it a weekend :)

3 hours ago, Sticks said:

What a beautiful evening !

This forum, Jersey City72 in particular, gave me advice on what tickets to purchase and he took me to the promised land. We drove 8 hours up in some ugly weather and grabbed a quick dinner and hustled off to the show.

The seats were just perfect.  I loved the music and I'll leave the setlist to others but not a bad song was played.

The wonderful folks we had the pleasure of sitting next to helped make the night special. A younger couple and her parents were just good people. Blowing up balloons and handing them out, special 2019 "glasses" given out, we shared taking photos but the best thing we shared were good vibes. I just felt a special sincere vibe from these people who I'd never met but was lucky enough to spend New Years with. Hugs at midnight and more when the show was over.  It was well worth the drive for the music for the great company. We drove 8 hours back this morning to Carolina with a strong feeling that we started 2019 out just right.

Thank you to DSO and thank you to the cool people from New Jersey we hung with. Raleigh next !

So glad you got to the show.   It was unbelievable, I have to say.   I am still in jaw-dropping speechless happy afterglow...The very trippy lightshow added to the experience wonderfully.   So many songs and jams just off the charts.  It really doesn't get any better.  I'm gonna have to see them every New Year's Eve.

• Like (+1) 2
12 hours ago, jerseycity72 said:

So glad you got to the show.   It was unbelievable, I have to say.   I am still in jaw-dropping speechless happy afterglow...The very trippy lightshow added to the experience wonderfully.   So many songs and jams just off the charts.  It really doesn't get any better.  I'm gonna have to see them every New Year's Eve.

The light show was crazy good. "off the charts" says it all. We thought we came a long way but we saw people with Vermont plates so they were rolling in from all over.

• Like (+1) 2
2 hours ago, Sticks said:

... We thought we came a long way but we saw people with Vermont plates so they were rolling in from all over.

I met a women who said she drove from VT, only 5 hours . I thought it would have been further. She was a friend of the band and she dug every note they played !  She’d been to 3 Jam in the Sands and raved over the sand, sun, water and dance.