Joe Russo’s Amost Dead

LIkeEveryOne

Has anyone seen JRAD?

while at the NYE show I saw he sold out the Wellmont for March 15 and 

I may try to see him on the 13th at Penn’s Peak 

Was the  audience as much fun as a DSo show ? I saw a few YouTube’s, I’m just trying to get a feel for the show in advance 

thanks 

• Forum MVP

My cousin saw them at the Anthem in November? He was blown away, described it as the Grateful Dead meets Led Zeppelin. Supposedly Dead songs but they really change them up, play them fast. He said they would go into a jam, really far out, seemingly lost, then bring it right back and back into the tune, if that makes any sense. He said they were tight. I’m focusing in on Jeff mattson and friends at Ardmore music hall  in March. I should be going through severe withdrawal by then. Gonna need a show. 

• Forum MVP

I’ve caught a few streams. Never seen them in person. Good show, high energy, may see or hear anything. I’d see them if they came around but they never do near me. Lol. If I’m traveling I prefer my G/D the DSO way. ✌️

1 hour ago, LIkeEveryOne said:

Has anyone seen JRAD?

while at the NYE show I saw he sold out the Wellmont for March 15 and 

I may try to see him on the 13th at Penn’s Peak 

Was the  audience as much fun as a DSo show ? I saw a few YouTube’s, I’m just trying to get a feel for the show in advance 

thanks 

You should refer to a thread on the DSO forum from approx about 6 months ago. Same question asked and lots of feedback given. 

I am not a fan. Seen them once. Too much shredding. All male energy at the show. No dancing, all head bobbing.  Boring and non creative jamming. Very skilled playing but not my thing. Way too heavy an interpretation for my tastes. 

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

You should refer to a thread on the DSO forum from approx about 6 months ago. Same question asked and lots of feedback given. 

I am not a fan. Seen them once. Too much shredding. All male energy at the show. No dancing, all head bobbing.  Boring and non creative jamming. Very skilled playing but not my thing. Way too heavy an interpretation for my tastes. 

I agree, from what I have seen on video, a lot of jamming, but not the tasteful kind, and lots of bashing on the drums. I will never understand why people prefer them to DSO.

• Forum MVP

If you don’t mind a set list like the one below..... this is my favorite of those 3 nights in that run. 

JRAD tends to get into a freelanced jam session,  with GD music as the table topic, amongst  talented musicians. Seeing Marc Benevento skills are worth admission alone. The band members respect each other’s musical explorations and I saw them allow another to take their personal jam to the limit. Sometimes the jams get very very high and then can lull slow - perhaps to pick up the thread again. Musically, it can be exciting to see where they may end up or what is woven  in, like “My Favorite Things” I think in HSF at Jazzfest. 

What I believe DSO tries to do intellectually in recreating the musical style and even in electives, the trends and nuances of a traditional set lists, isn’t a concern. (Which is like having a fine wine intentionally paired with specific foods and flavors  in my book. It is fine dining for the ears. 🙂 I enjoy that immensely at a DSO show.)

F838002D-72F0-4D60-B1C8-26A4CC52876A.jpeg

• Forum MVP

JRAD Rocks. See them if u can. Will see them in Feb in St Louis 2 nights. They are a live creation. Streams don’t do them justice plus I think their soundboards are horrible. 

I am also assuming that you want as much dead as possible. If that is the case u need to add them to your schedule. If you have limited show budget or vacation budget you have to prioritize.  They may not work for you. I’m like Zeke. Feed me. 

Thanks all 

I’ll     take the  trip to poconos and see how it feels. I’m not looking to replace the DSO experience by any stretch of the imagination. Beyond straight up Dead, nothing takes me where Dso does.  But nothing ventured nothing gained.  When I saw DSO play for the first time by chance 3 years ago, it was an outside venue in early spring and it was pouring out. I decided to wait out the rain and see the start of the show. 

I was like “what the hell” these guys are great. 

Lisa closed with White Rabbit .. .. 

PG having  the JRad set list with u at all times finally paid off !  Thanks 

On 1/4/2019 at 6:53 PM, LIkeEveryOne said:

Thanks all 

I’ll     take the  trip to poconos and see how it feels. I’m not looking to replace the DSO experience by any stretch of the imagination. Beyond straight up Dead, nothing takes me where Dso does.  But nothing ventured nothing gained.  When I saw DSO play for the first time by chance 3 years ago, it was an outside venue in early spring and it was pouring out. I decided to wait out the rain and see the start of the show. 

I was like “what the hell” these guys are great. 

Lisa closed with White Rabbit .. .. 

Was that show by any chance at the Pat Garrett Amphitheater in PA?

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2019 at 8:14 PM, Greg from Chestertown said:

My cousin saw them at the Anthem in November? He was blown away, described it as the Grateful Dead meets Led Zeppelin. Supposedly Dead songs but they really change them up, play them fast. He said they would go into a jam, really far out, seemingly lost, then bring it right back and back into the tune, if that makes any sense. He said they were tight. I’m focusing in on Jeff mattson and friends at Ardmore music hall  in March. I should be going through severe withdrawal by then. Gonna need a show. 

I saw JRAD last night at Penns Peak. It was my first time, chances buying a ticket there. The show was sold out. But I found a willing seller, and went in to the show. The crowd predominantly 30-45 year old males was the younger generation of the 45-70 male dominated DSO crowd. 

The description of Grateful Dead meets Led Zep is a good description.  I would reverse it to say Led Zep meets GD. As DSO performs a strong GD parallel, JRAD performs with threads of GD similarities and a strong self style of Music jams. They have few GD similarities, beyond the embedded dead rythums and lyrics that seem to resonate with the audience and get periodically laced into the performance. 

The audience experience seemed segmented without a single instance of group “oneness” produced during any song. If that makes sense. The instrumentals were fast paced and played well, but never brought the audience together in celebration.  I enjoy the bluesy, country play of the Dead and JRAD has a sound all their own, and not for me.  

• Forum MVP

More grateful dead music playing through PA's = good thing.  Bring it on.  Slowly having to settle into less travel means I have to look for more local music when before it was just DSO nonstop. I mean there's this band the Rolling Stones I plan to see 1-2x.  They are that band that plays that Dead song "Lets Spend the night together" and the Jerry Band song "Moonlight Mile".  They are like Chuck Berry and Van Morrison.  No one had ever heard of them until the Dead played their music and made them famous and now they are doing a tour on the back of the dead because their songs were covered.

On 3/14/2019 at 10:00 PM, LIkeEveryOne said:

The instrumentals were fast paced and played well, but never brought the audience together in celebration.  I enjoy the bluesy, country play of the Dead and JRAD has a sound all their own, and not for me.  

Pretty much my thoughts on JRAD. I've seen them 3 times, and while the shows are fun, their interpretation of the music just doesn't really do it for me on the same level that the traditional way does

• Forum MVP

Unfortunately we are in the age of social media and having to compare everything.  I was one of the people who fought online with others about how DSO was better than deadco when I used to be on social media.  Now Ive accepted that they are more dead music to hear live even though I do get annoyed with people who think deadco is better than dead or anywhere near them.  Not everything will be 76 dead or current DSO.  If we are being honest, nothing compares to Jerry singing.  You cant replace the truth in his voice. We have DSO that is spot on dead music, deadco who is slow dead music, JRAD thats over the top dead music and many many local dead bands and part time collaborations that do their thing. Ill be seeing Axial Tilt, maybe Voodoo dead(havent really checked the jazz fest grids yet), maybe Phil(again jazz fest), DSO, JRAD and hyryder all in the next 2 months.  I accept the differences in the bands.  I fought accepting JRAD for a full set in nashville then said why am i comparing them when I should accept who they are and go with it.  Considering they play 30 shows a year only, Ill see them when possible.  DSO, JRAD and Panic are my see within 6 hour away bands.  And why would you not go listen to dead if close regardless of the style of it?  Its a no brainer to see as much as you can.  Its many of our lifeblood.

Archived