Littlefeat worth checking out these days?

Poor_Sue

Thinking about catching a Littlefeat show on their winter tour when the stop in Asheville. Has anyone seen them? I’m way to young to have seen them before ‘79 when Lowell George was still around and obviously I don’t expect a whole lot from Bill Payne and the other older guys that are left. 

Does anyone have experience seeing them lately? 

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Poor_Sue said:

Thinking about catching a Littlefeat show on their winter tour when the stop in Asheville. Has anyone seen them? I’m way to young to have seen them before ‘79 when Lowell George was still around and obviously I don’t expect a whole lot from Bill Payne and the other older guys that are left. 

Does anyone have experience seeing them lately? 

Probably not much help but I’d go if it were close. 

Yeah, that’s what I’m leaning towards Dead Duck... it’s cheap enough. Mainly wondering about how the crowd is? It’s at an auditorium that could go both ways (quiet/seated or standing/dancing). Didn’t know if the Littlefeat crowd gets down and dances or not. 

• Forum MVP

I saw them fifteen years ago, two years in a row, at the Grand Opera House In Wilmington, De.  Second year was lame but I also was distracted because when I got there I saw posters advertising DSO coming. It’s year, they played Dixie chicken into Tennessee Jed, back into Dixie Chicken, so, that was cool. I was one of a few dancers,  no cared. Yea, if it’s close and cheap, go for it. A night of good music, 

• Forum MVP

Without Lowell George and Ritchie Hayward (drummer), any current rendition of LF will be but a semblance of the original lineup circa '77.

However the original bass player, percussionist,  keyboardist and rhythm guitarist are still in the band to my knowledge.

So.....if it's close by and affordable go check it out!

25 minutes ago, acududeman said:

Without Lowell George and Ritchie Hayward (drummer), any current rendition of LF will be but a semblance of the original lineup circa '77.

However the original bass player, percussionist,  keyboardist and rhythm guitarist are still in the band to my knowledge.

Yeah, I definitely do not expect them to sound like they do on Waiting for Columbus. 

• 2 months later...

So, i decided to check Little Feat as they were in Asheville this past Wednesday. If they’re coming to a town near you as they wrap up this tour it’s totally worth checking out. 

Warren Haynes even joined them for the last few songs of the show. 

I was quite blown away by these old dudes, they can still play their instruments very well. 

• Forum MVP
On 1/5/2019 at 12:13 PM, acududeman said:

While this is certainly accurate, that was over 40 years ago, and the Feat have been making some damn fine music since then on a consistent basis.  They’re better than a whole lot of musicians.   It’s tough to replicate or replace a legend with such unique style as we all know.  😁

I on,y saw them once (and once as the Phriends with Phil), and they gave it their all and had a great sound system.  Not a lot of people were moving at the beginning, but they loosened up as is often the case.  

• Forum MVP

So doing jazz fest again this year and plan on seeing Axial Tilt, but string cheese and DeadFeat playing at the same time plus next night oteill and friends and SCI pluS 2 other collaborations I’d love to see. There’s just too much music down there. 1st Weekend its Phil and family band playing same time as JRAD. I was actually surprised it’s not Phil and friends as there’s a shit load of friends in Nola in those 11 days. There are reps of almost every single band in the big easy over that week and a half with everyone doing collabs besides Phil. I won’t like having to miss the Ribert searight sputacular as that was one of my highlights watching 25 people on blue niles tiny stage playing P-funk. That was better than seeing actual p funk a few days later as it was long improv funk jams and the blue nile is such a cool bar. 

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

Whitney and I did Dead Feat in New Orleans when we were falling in love or at least I was chasing harder than maybe I ever had. Missed flights to stay in New Orleans with her longer. Now we will go see Little Feat in our home state at a beautiful park. I’m excited. You can’t replace Lowell but they still have some songs I’d love to hear. 

Archived