What is the first song that caused you to fall in love with music?

PoetryGirl

• Forum MVP

When I was young, my Mother would play classical symphonies on little 45rpm records that had to cycle every few minutes. I think it was Tchaikovsky and Rimlmski-Korsakov’s  Scheherazade.

My Father would play the Phil Harris version of Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette”, a talking blues style song written by Merle Travis and Tex Williams. In 1947 the original was number one on the country charts for 16 weeks. Latter, it was covered by many artists. The tune still sticks in my head….

“Now I'm a fellow with a heart of gold 
With the ways of a gentleman I've been told
A kind of a fellow that wouldn't even harm a flea
But if me and a certain character met 
That guy that invented the cigarette
I'd murder that son of a gun in the first degree

That ain't that I don't smoke myself 
And I don't reckon they'll injure your health
I've smoked 'em all my life and I ain't dead yet
But nicotine slaves are all the same 
At a pheasant party or a poker game
Everything's gotta stop when they have that cigarette

Smoke smoke smoke that cigarette 
Puff puff puff 
And if you smoke yourself to death
Tell St Peter at the Golden Gate 
That you hate to make him wait
But you just gotta have another cigarette…”

It goes on for a few more verses with interesting stories of poker games and smooching with a girl on Lover’s Lane….all interrupted by needing to smoke that cigarette.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

When way young, pre kindergarten,  probably  London Bridges Falling Down. Once TV became prominent The Partridge family,  first concert was David Cassidy when I was six and going with my older sister's birthday party, Carole king tapestry,  song remains the same in the movie theater in 1976, then zeppelin in concert , 7th grade,  sevond night in cincy Wednesday 4.20.77. From then on it was all about getting to the show

Maple Leaf Rag - Scott Joplin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAtL7n_-rc

My grandfather was born in 1885 so he used to play very old school tunes.   FWIW, I'm still in my 40's.  Weird math I know but still the earliest tune I remember loving...

• Forum MVP

Sinatra, Bing Crosby, and Woody Guthrie got frequently played when I was growing-up.  There was a couple-year stretch there where it was Gordon Lightfoot 24/7.  Interesting time...

• Forum MVP
21 hours ago, Tea said:

There was a couple-year stretch there where it was Gordon Lightfoot 24/7.  Interesting time...

Ooh the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. I’ll l play that 45 for ya outta my collection when DSO comes to my hometown lol. (A millionaire’s  son loves them).  That was a good one. 

• Forum MVP
On 2/8/2019 at 5:36 PM, PoetryGirl said:

Rated #10 by NPR on 150 Greatest Albums by women. (Ranked #1 is Joni Mitchell’s Blue. )

Ok, I have the strangest Carole King story.

Around 2002 I lived in a townhouse in Marina del Rey.  The way the parking and layout of the place was, we all walked through our patio area and through our sliding doors to come and go.

So a few friends and I are partying our asses off one night, and I’m standing next to my bar counter packing a bowl, and who opens the slider and slowly walks through the curtains but Carole effing King.  No shit.

She is followed in by some dude, and she realizes that she is in the wrong house before I do, as I am high as a monkey as it’s about 10:00.  I remember that I was laughing my ass off about something and a bit surprised that the door opened at all, as we weren’t expecting anyone else and had settled into a nice vibe.

Carole turned to the guy as quickly as she had walked in and was mumbling “this is wrong...this is the wrong place”, and I saw her make eye contact with my satchel of flower.  She was not a happy camper to have stumbled upon a Bob Marley festival.

As she turned and got the guy to realize they were in the wrong place, she was apologizing.  I pieced everting together and said “HEY - you’re Carole King...come on in, you guys can come in...”, probably sounding like Spiccolli meets Cheech.  

She continued to turn away and apologize, seemingly afraid to look back into the drug den (it really was pretty tame that night and she could have showed up and seen much worse haha).  The whole thing lasted a minute, max.

Needless to say, we were blown away at what just happened, and I get a huge smile anytime I hear of her or her music.

Archived