I Need a Miracle
    Black Peter
    Turn on Your Love Light

Black Muddy River

”solid” -don’t know if any filler
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

And Lisa jumped in for Box.

For the record...Count2 called this exact show several days ago...not sure how he pulled that off...

I love a show that was originally marginalized (had one friend who left the Tacoma dome since the sound was so bad and another who simply claimed weakest show he had ever been to) but then DSO comes along and breathes new life into it...

Last night was such solid integrity all the way through...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Island Bro said:

I love a show that was originally marginalized (had one friend who left the Tacoma dome since the sound was so bad and another who simply claimed weakest show he had ever been to) but then DSO comes along and breathes new life into it...

Well, I didn't leave but I will second your friend's sentiment.  This was indeed the worst sound, by a long shot, that I ever experienced at a Dead show.  I recall the only exciting moment being the mid set Iko.

I was even with the soundboard about 1/2 up the lower section, so not great not not exactly horrible seats.  There's an FOB Schoeps tape that sounds at least somewhat passable, so the sound was apparently better in the sweet spot.  But still.  Horrific venue and a totally flat show.

Santana opened, and this was the only show I ever saw where the opening act outshone The Boys.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
8 hours ago, Tea said:

Gr8fulpair - Were you at this original with your brother?  I have it in my head that you were there...

Yes, me and Steve were at this show and agree with John A, Santana was better. The show at autzen stadium 2 days later on my birthday with Jimmy cliff and Robert cray made up for it. Spent several days in Ranier forest before Tacoma, so we were riding a wave and had a ball regardless of music quality. Pacific coast highway from Tacoma to Eugene was pretty spectacular too.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Forum MVP
10 hours ago, Island Bro said:

For the record...Count2 called this exact show several days ago...not sure how he pulled that off...

I always like being in the presence of people who are smarter than me. I’m really not sure who wouldn’t besides that one business owner who said he always wants to be the smartest guy in the room(that would be almost impossible unless empty room). I’m not sure that management style was taught in business school at least when I attended college, but then again I finished at UK and were taught to hire people smarter than you. That’s what going to a state school gets you...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

Umm so isn’t song 3 Never trust a woman?  I didn’t know it had an alternative title. 

And while on the subject, is The Stranger or 2 souls in communion the official title of that one. I always thought The Stranger was probably the official with 2 souls being unofficial. 

• Forum MVP

So, I have been looking at this set list thinking about the last two songs, black muddy river and box of rain. I was thinking how interesting to have those two paired up together even though they are kinda spaced out because of being encore and filler. Well, I think I just figured out why they grabbed my Attention. They are the last two songs the Grateful Dead ever played. Makes me wonder if Dark Star Orchestra paired them up on purpose, tricksters that they are. 

• Forum MVP
51 minutes ago, Rude said:

Umm so isn’t song 3 Never trust a woman?  I didn’t know it had an alternative title.

That's actually a curious one.  Per the Grateful Dead Song Finder, David Gans says Brent gave this song the title "Good Time Blues." But both "Dozin' At The Knick" and "Nightfall of Diamonds" list it as "Never Trust A Woman."  But these were both released after Brent had died.  And of further note, the record in the Library of Congress from the copyright application lists "Application Title: Gonna See Some Good Times"

Looks like this is one where neither title is a wrong answer.

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

I used to have a bootleg album, Santa Monica81?, primitive labeling but that song was listed as Good time Blues. That’s how I was introduced to that song. I understood it when I saw it on the set list. Just saying.

Yes!  I had that too.  I want to say it was called "The Rose" and it's 8-28-81.  Such a beautiful Wheel jam into Never Trust A Woman/Good Time Blues. Hot Shakedown too.

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, John A said:

Yes!  I had that too.  I want to say it was called "The Rose" and it's 8-28-81.  Such a beautiful Wheel jam into Never Trust A Woman/Good Time Blues. Hot Shakedown too.

That’s it! Mine was a simple white label in the middle of the album, no markings, with a plain white album cover. All of the labeling was on a Xeroxed  sheet of paper wrapped around the album cover, held in place with the cellophane. It had a familiar group photo of the band (circa 1980, go to heaven) on one side and a typed song list on the back. I had five or ten bootleg albums back in the day. There was a record store nearby that specialized in rare stuff. I could count on them. I gave all my albums away to someone for putting them on disc for me. My first bootlegs.

• Forum MVP

Damn, that album got around, I was just blown away by the soundboard quality, exceptional wheel and shakedown. Back to Seattle 1988, maybe they knew the sound was horrendous and just threw out the common material of the times, saving anything special for an acoustically better venue. There's not anything from the Alpine 88 breakouts....believe it or not, (wasn't Victim an 88 start?, foolish heart? Take you home? ect..) The Tacoma dome might have been similar to the Metrodome in Minneapolis in 1986 with the one set 20 song show. You're not going to find a good audience tape of that summer show with Dylan and Tom Petty. If you do let me know. I really wanted it for a long time after being there just because of the opening Gimme Some Lovin with Mickey on the gong. That place rolled the sound around in a big ol echo cloud. It's nice DSO took a bad sounding GD show into a small venue to give it justice. That's some thoughtful set planning.

• Forum MVP

Yes, Victim was first played at the 88 Summer Tour opener in Minnesota.  It was then subsequently played at every show until the end of time.  

Foolish Heart, Blow Away, I Will Take You Home, and Believe it or Not all debuted at Alpine 88.  As did Blackbird, but that’s different.

That I Will Take You Home out of Scarlet and into drums on 6/22 was about as popular as a loud talker during Stella Blue.

• LMAO 2
  • Forum MVP

Crew - I don't think there's a good audience on Met Dome '86.  My source is a Sony stereo mic, which otherwise went away by the late 70s as far as an audience taper's tool.  Otherwise it's just shotguns.  Maybe shotguns are better for such shit venue sound, but I can't listen to shotguns for more than a few minutes. Even worse, the only board that circulates is a partial show. Not that one should really want to relive Summer '86 with Dylan / Petty frankly.  And especially not Minnesota.  The "Jerry is dying Part 1" tour.