Portland #2

sakada

• Forum MVP

I’m not sure I agree with you mojo. As for giving opinions of things you didn’t witness off a list, I probably think it’s a foolish endeavor. Someone around here said something like you never know what show will take you there. 

However, from someone in your shoes, I can see issues with the flow in the show. Corinna, Cold Rain, and Essau easy dance songs. I don’t think much of Corinna as a song but to say it doesn’t have a great dance groove is ludicrous to me. Of course, most of the Corinna I’ve heard have been live by DSO. Maybe if I was basing it off the Dead’s treatment I would disageee with myself. Dire Wolf a nice reprieve. More of a sing along than a dancer. Blow Away can be an explosive dancer. Here I kind of agree with Mojo. From here to close, the songs become less dancy or in some cases just harder to dance too.  For instance, not everyone can dance to sunrise. Some even choose to talk. I happen most of the time to enter the sacred space of the song where you feel it deep in your heart and dancing is the most natural if not necessary response. Bird song can go this place too. 

I could to go just in depth on the 2nd set as an outside observer but not sure it matters. Crazy fingers definitely like sunrise. Harder to dance to but pure magic when it happens. A bunch of Stephen NFA pretty easy dancers for me. Cumberland according to a buddy is top 5, definitely gets me moving. 

Wow thanks mojo that was fun trying to envision what I thought about something I know nothing about. 

Can you guys tell I’m missing all of you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Jeez, the Think and Cumberland were ripping! and Crazy Fingers the lovely reprieve before the keys were ripped up and laid back down in Hey Jude. I think had they played more than one line of Dear Mr Famtasy before throwing in the towel prespace it would have been an all out frenzy.  Blow Away has this power of Hey Jude aka Alpine 89 where our hearts flung wide open and downloaded sunshine. and the jam was all out, pure rock and roll.  Super fun to hear a different kind of first set. Kinda wordy... just my head feed. But all and all a great tapas menu. 😜

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

After looking this over, it’s definitely one of the stranger set lists I’ve seen. Corrina to start the show could be tough because it takes a minute to get the crowd where they feel confident enough to get down, but the funk jam in the middle can be as good as it gets for improv dance. 

• Like (+1) 1