The Saban 2/23/19

chuckvegas

• Forum MVP

Red Rox - 9/6/83

Alabama Getaway-> Greatest Story Ever Told, Peggy-O, Hell In A Bucket, Dupree's Diamond Blues, Minglewood Blues, Bird Song, Lazy Lightning-> Supplication-> Might As Well

Help On The Way-> Slipknot!-> Franklin's Tower-> Playin' In The Band-> Drums-> Uncle John's Band-> Playin' In The Band-> Throwing Stones-> Not Fade Away

E: Brokedown Palace

F: C'est la vie

• Like (+1) 1

Great drums segment after a somewhat chaotic Playin' jam where Barraco's keys were silent. At one point he just threw his arms up in frustration and started up with some vibraslap percussion, since his mic was still live. The keys were restored after a good five minutes, then Eaton left the jam early, I imagine to see what the heck was going on with the equipment. Skip, Jeff and the drummers kept things lively, though. it's great to see high caliber musicians who can improvise in both senses of the word when it really counts!

Was it just me or was there no security check AT ALL? Intermission was a madhouse, nobody was giving or checking stamps. A fantastic venue and a far looser atmosphere than I'm used to in LA.

• Like (+1) 1

My cold got the best of me so I took advantage of my balcony seat for the majority of the show.  My ears were working fine though and everything sounded terrific.  Things really got cooking from Minglewood on in the 1st set.

I really love how DSO incorporates little era details - for example the melodic strumming intro into Bird Song came back in the mid-80's, and also the now atypical jam within Throwing Stones sounds out of place now, but for the mid 80s is exactly what they were doing.  

It was one highlight after another in the second set.  The keyboard snafu during Playin was a visual distraction, but certainly didn't slow the rest of the guys down.

There was a decently teased Spanish Jam out of space (not sure if that was show accurate) but was very enjoyable.  

Between the Vegas webcast and the two socal shows, my DSO jones was filled nicely.  Three month countdown till the Jubilee!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

I never thought it was an outshining subject but I know the glory days may be over. I’ll take my 30 to 40 this year. Having been to so many shows I kind of know what venues I want to hit now anyway. Help me prioritize a little bit. 

Its Scotty time to shine. 

Sometimes you need to accept you old and in the way. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

Sometimes you need to accept you old and in the way.“

i accepted that a long time ago. Joseph was the man. I remember his first days, when a legend was being born. He held the rail like no one else.

Let the shows be y’all’s, I’m done with mine. 😎

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, chuckvegas said:

Joseph was the man. I remember his first days, when a legend was being born. He held the rail like no one else.

Joseph was exceptional in seeing  ALL the shows.  One year he was bragging that he saw more shows than the two drummers.    ( Both Dino and Rob had been out a couple days for special reasons).   But what I really don’t understand is how for three years in a row he managed to get the only parking spot directly in front of Variety Playhouse. And it wasn’t that he just got there early.

Sometimes you need to accept you're old and in the way.“     Sometimes I might be in the way but I'm not accepting that I'm old.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1