Hawaii shows?

neutrino

I was looking at the setlists, and using the individual locations filter.  I noticed that there has apparently never been a DSO show in Hawaii.  Is this logistically just too difficult and costly?  Some shows on Oahu and Maui would be awesome!!  Just wondering why this has never been done, since many other artist play there.  Maybe DSO is not willing to use the existing equipment at the venues, and it's too expensive to ship their own gear?  I'd book a trip from California for this!  Always looking for an excuse to visit the islands.  I know a number of Deadhead living there , and they'd love it.

• Forum MVP

I think they had some preliminary talks about Hawaii after Baracco played with I believe the David Nelson band. Those talks clearly didn’t go anywhere and I really don’t know why. Maybe a band member can shed some light here but I also know the nature of business and it is none of ours. 

What i I do want to do here. Is outside of one off gig. So they need to set up at least 3 to 4 show run. One venue several venues I don’t care. Multiple shows in Hawaii. My lady and I and possibly the kids are there. 

Who else would make this a must do trip?

• Forum MVP
34 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Agreed. They do everything involved when they do jam in the sand. I ‘m guessing it has to be at least four shows to justify the expense of getting everyone and everything across a large body of water. The Grateful Dead never made it to Hawaii, did they? 

They sure did.  5 shows in Honolulu in 1970.  JGB did Hawaii, too.

GD never played Mexico.  

Alaska, Canada, Jamaica, Africa, and Europe have all had GD shows.

1 hour ago, Mason's Child said:

I think they had some preliminary talks about Hawaii after Baracco played with I believe the David Nelson band. Those talks clearly didn’t go anywhere and I really don’t know why. Maybe a band member can shed some light here but I also know the nature of business and it is none of ours. 

What i I do want to do here. Is outside of one off gig. So they need to set up at least 3 to 4 show run. One venue several venues I don’t care. Multiple shows in Hawaii. My lady and I and possibly the kids are there. 

Who else would make this a must do trip?

I believe I was told by a band member that it is really expensive to do it...but, yes, would give me a reason to get laid.

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Mango said:

I've been waiting for this one. O believe that eventually it will Happen- and when it does- I'll be there

I think everyone will be adding 3-10 days to the trip if it happens. And worse case for Dso is they get 2 tickets to paradise even if it’s not a big money maker. I’ve also got my passport ready for when they leave Hawaii and head to Thailand. Pretty sure the dead is super popular in Bangkok with the “ladies”. 

• Forum MVP

They could slip a 3-4 show Hawaii run in between Jamaica and West coast tour in late January/early February....

Although I've heard that the band and crew actually have lives outside of producing the finest live music available and that breaks and rest from performing their craft serves them well...go figure...

• Forum MVP

Now that Southwest is doing Hawaii flights I can’t think of a better time to do it. I’d suggest goin ahead and getting your chase southwest card now bevahse it takes a few months to get your 50k mile credit. 

• Forum MVP
On 2/26/2019 at 9:21 AM, Island Bro said:

They could slip a 3-4 show Hawaii run in between Jamaica and West coast tour in late January/early February....

Although I've heard that the band and crew actually have lives outside of producing the finest live music available and that breaks and rest from performing their craft serves them well...go figure...

Ya but a nice little paid trip to Hawaii sounds pretty sweet. 

• Forum MVP

Baracco and California kind did an event in Alaska at a resort hotel. 

On 2/25/2019 at 11:56 PM, sml said:

Still holding out for the Show In The Snow Siberian resort package.

Dso could do the event there and bill it show in the snow for you Scotty. 

Hawaii

Alaska (but with Canada and make a full tour of it)

Mountain/Big Sky/Badlands tour

Europe '22 (and hit a bunch of the 50 year dates and places)

Iceland

Japan minitour (more than just a one off this time or I won't be able to justify it)

I'll settle for just another Utah show though ( ._.)

If you wanna make a real weekend event out of it, I would highly suggest The Great Saltair over The Depot.

-4600 cap

-all ages, 21+ upstairs with bars

-out on the lake, only 20 minutes from downtown, but surrounded by BLM lands for those who'd want to camp

Seriously, this is the undiscovered Penn's Peak of the west.saltair+3d.jpg

Archived