JGB Eel River Box Set

John A

• Forum MVP

This just arrived.  Pretty cool collection of Jerry's 3 shows at French's Camp (Hog Farm benefits co-produced by BGP) in Humboldt. One show each in '87, '89' and '91, with the '87 acoustic set as a bonus disc. One of my few Garcia related regrets after moving to Northern CA in '88 was not making it to either of the '89 or '91 shows.

By all accounts it was a bucolic throwback to years long gone, during a era when one was more likely to see Jerry in a sports arena than at a special laid back venue like this. Certainly no one saw Jerry at the likes of MSG caked in mud right after taking a naked swim in a river. (At least let's hope that wasn't the case!)

Set 2 of the '91 show is particularly interesting. After a long beautiful Shining Star opener, the middle of the set features 3 consecutive rarities:  Twilight (played 4 times), See What Love Can Do (played 3 times), and Lazy Bones (played 11 times).  That boggles the mind!  Well, maybe not a normal mind, but a freakish mind like mine. :lol:

• Forum MVP

Been listening to this. I think 89 and 91 jgb is superior to 87. Honestly I think Jerry really shines in 90/91 Jerry band. Maybe the pressure of the circus is off of him and he can be free when he’s in jgb. 

My dad's favorite touring story involves the Eel in '87, more specifically the acoustic show on the bonus disk. My dad was hanging out outside the venue playing Deep Ellem Blues on his guitar when a car rolls by with none other than Jerry in it. He stops and says something along the lines of "sounds good!" to my dad. My dad then made his way into the venue and up towards the front of the crowd. He says that Jerry came out on stage, looked right at him and nodded, then jumped into Deep Ellem to kick off the acoustic set!

• Forum MVP

Great story about your dad and Jerry. I was trying to do everything in 87 so a drive to Humboldt was necessary for many reasons. Captured the show on a D6, and having been there for the breakout acoustic with the two electric set is enough for me.

Small crowd on the hillside in 1987. There were some people complaining about Jerry charging $15.00 for the ticket and they were scheming to get in for free. A little disturbing thinking of all that he did for everyone and they were complaining about his mansions. It was a hot northern CA day and couldn't have been better. Drove the 20 hours to get there and then headed back to Wyoming after the show, sleeping on the side of the road for a few before heading into that long Nevada, Utah, Wyoming stretch. Of course a quick stop in Reno to fill up at the cheap buffet and 50 cent heinekins helped.

• Forum MVP

Wow! No wonder you're in as deep as you are. My first jgb was in August of 1984 when jerry opened for Frank, also my first fz show (which was quickly followed up with 3 more in November of 84). I remember being at dso in Columbus at the Newport with Zappa being played before and during the set break. It was where 2 of my Frank shows were held. So a mergence of great experiences happened that night. Pretty sure the second set with a China rider

Archived