20Years DSO

2muchfun

18 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

I believe dark star really got to me at nye 2003 Indy, then it was off to the ledges for, well, probably the best dead scene since alpine. Good,  really good fun and nice people at every show since I've been going. Haven't partied much with forum folks,  but everyone,  in whatever aisle I end up in, at the shows is great. Probably peaked at mishawaka and state bridge runs. Unfortunately,  or whatever,  I won't be at home town show this summer because I jumped the gun on Billy Strings June 29th The Vogue in Indianapolis. He's doing almost all festy shows this year and I saw this as a rare bar show that might be my only chance to get "strung out". Annie's is going to be a great show on the 29th if it's anything close to what they played the last time the dosed that space.  Hopefully there will be a recording of this time around

:) Haven't seen you for Born Cross Eyed in a while. Hope you are well and thanks for letting me sleep at your house a couple of years ago..

• Forum MVP
On 4/15/2019 at 7:02 PM, PoetryGirl said:

Hey, so I am wondering if out there in the cosmos anyone knows what’ the setlist was on 2/20/2010 at the Neighborhood Theater, Charlotte NODA district. My friend T. Foster owned it then. Mattson opened the show with The Donna Godchaux Band in a tiny room beside the bar. I recall a hot Let It Grow. Not in the Starbase. 

Set One:

Jack Straw
Jack A Roe
Cassidy
Row Jimmy
Mama Tried-> Mexicali
Stagger Lee
Passenger
Deal

Set One:

Miracle-> Shakedown
Heart Of Me
Terrapin-> Playin-> Drumz-> Playin-> Casey Jones

Encore:
Johnny B. Goode

Filler:
????

2010-02-19
Neighborhood Theatre
Charlotte
NC
GD Setlist

1979-01-15 Springfield Civic Center Arena Springfield MA

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Vortex said:

Set One:

Jack Straw
Jack A Roe
Cassidy
Row Jimmy
Mama Tried-> Mexicali
Stagger Lee
Passenger
Deal

Set One:

Miracle-> Shakedown
Heart Of Me
Terrapin-> Playin-> Drumz-> Playin-> Casey Jones

Encore:
Johnny B. Goode

Filler:
????

2010-02-19
Neighborhood Theatre
Charlotte
NC
GD Setlist

1979-01-15 Springfield Civic Center Arena Springfield MA

Wait that says - 2/19/2010. I saw you on 2/20. Y’all played two nights .  Swear. I’ll post the marquis pic. 

• Forum MVP

BUT the second time I saw them in Charlotte 2/14/14 at 10:23pm there was an 4.1 earthquake where my family settled in 1803.  It was felt 150 miles away. And I remember the great setlist... it happened during second set. -  maybe during Saint- I remember feeling an extra jolt

20 years for me, coming up this June (6/23/99 at Graffiti's in Pittsburgh where they did 9/11/87).  I went because I missed live Dead music (only 3 GD shows, all the summer of '95, for me) and I expected a decent/good show, but I couldn't have imagined that DSO would be the PERFECT thing to fill the void left by the Dead.  I was a budding deadhead in '95 with a 100 hours or so of tapes, and in '99 I was ironically a already a relic, of sorts, with several more hundred hours to listen to on XLII's, but no LIVE show to go see/experience/participate in.  Futhur Festival was good, but didn't quite cut it for me, and neither did any other "jam" band, not even the ABB.  I needed live Grateful Dead music, and played at a certain level, I might add.  I had seen several cover bands in the years right after Jerry checked out, but it just wasn't good enough.

Then 6/23/99 everything changed for me.  The WHOLE show was like a dead show.  Sounded like a dead show.  Was improvised, like a dead show.  It even had a drums/space that rivaled what the boyz used to do.  Drumz, and Scott's Brent-esque vocals, are what really won me over that night.  

And as I approach 20 years of seeing this band, I can't imagine what my life would have been like without them.  As they are to many of you, to me these shows are, I can't think of the proper word(s) to put here.. spiritual, magical, educational, chaotic, liturgical, "rite-of-passage-al", poetic.. I think you get the idea.  Like I said before, DSO has perfectly filled the void.   

Shows 192 - 194 coming up at the Jubilee, and hoping to hit 200 in 2019.

polished like a golden bowl
the finest ever seen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

20 years ago tonight was my first DSO show (that I played)!  It was an audition in front of a live sold out show at Martyrs in Chicago.   Evidently, I passed the audition that night and Im still riding this bucking bronco.  Thank you everyone for getting me this far down the line!  I appreciate you all!!!  

It has definitely been a long strange trip.  

Show # 167
Show Date:  1999-05-18
Venue:   Martyrs'
City:  Chicago
State:  IL
Set Type:  GD Set list 

Set One:

Foolish Heart
Jack Straw
Alabama
Queen Jane
Cold Rain
Rooster
Hey Pocky Way->

Iko Iko

Set Two:

Samson->

Cumberland Blues
Saint-> He's Gone-> Drumz-> Wheel-> Miracle-> Stella Blue-> Around-> Good Lovin

Encore:U. S. Blues

Filler:
Good Times

Show Notes
Dino English played drums as Kreutzmann
Date (GD):  1989-06-18
Venue (GD):  Shoreline Amphitheatre
City (GD):  Mountain View
State (GD):  CA

That night, I was asked by Scott Larned if I knew any other drummers that I could bring in to play with.  I said, "Yes, I have a buddy I have played with for several years that I know back in St. Louis."  
    Scott asked "Can you bring him up next week"? 

Next Saturday at the Jubilee will be Rob Koritz 20th anniversary of his first DSO show.

• Forum MVP

Hey right on Dino...happy 20th!!

We are all so stoked that you landed in that seat 20 years ago and have kept us moving and shaking so hard ever since!

Huge thanks to you for your deadication to bringing such high vibe music every night and all that you bring to this beautiful and crazy musical Renaissance...

Its such a comfort to have you you back there beating on those skins!!

😀🤘🏻

Wow, lots of good stories here...hard to read them all. Aug, 2001 for me, Norfolk VA. Hollywood Bowl '72. I almost cried. I have absolutely no idea how many shows I have seen over those years, just festies probably gets me around 30? It's a couple between the festies I'll share here...

Hagerstown...maybe 08? Kevin was on fire, Chuck and I were hitting it hard on the top of the balcony. This was my first experience with closing my eyes and really listening. After that show, I watched a documentary about the 5 senses and learned our brains use 70% of it's sensory processing power processing what we see. If we take sight away (by closing our eyes of course) we open some portion of that 70% for other senses to use. IT'S AWESOME!!!

Philly-Some small theater on...South Street...I think. Mid 00's I think. I can't remember the name of the place or any songs they did that night...but I drove up from Norfolk, went to the show, drove home and at work by 8AM.

Made that same hike for Wilmington DE once, shit twice?? Fuck, I don't know, and Dewey twice...If you haven't made a Dewey show, I strongly recommend.

Peace,

I'll see some of you this weekend I suspect.

Archived