Dark Star Jubilee 2019

LangeradoSoul

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also: In 2016, one of the setlists I wanted to be played did get played, 8-27-72, and that was a lotta fun. Honestly, when the band is fired up and having fun the setlist really doesn't matter, but here's a few setlists that would be fun to see:

1. 11/8/1969

A) Easy Wind, Good Lovin, Dark Star >The Other One >Dark Star >Uncle John's Jam >Dark Star

B) Saint Stephen >The Eleven >Caution >Main Ten Jam>Caution >Feedback >And We Bid You Goodnight  

2. 8/7/1982 https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mleone/gdead/dead-sets/82/8-7-82.txt

3. 6/20/1983 (with the elusive Bobstar) https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mleone/gdead/dead-sets/83/6-20-83.txt

Or...anything you'd love to play works also :)

• Forum MVP

No Jerry band on Sunday makes me sad. That no loud music after midnight is some BS. Dumpstaphunk is way too early. Will be seeing their 2am show with galactic in a few weeks in Nola. That’s an appropriate time for funk. Well any time is appropriate for funk. I like my funk uncut. I don’t want my funk stepped on. 

• Forum MVP
On 4/18/2019 at 6:44 PM, Rude said:

No Jerry band on Sunday makes me sad. That no loud music after midnight is some BS. Dumpstaphunk is way too early. Will be seeing their 2am show with galactic in a few weeks in Nola. That’s an appropriate time for funk. Well any time is appropriate for funk. I like my funk uncut. I don’t want my funk stepped on. 

Let’s get funked up! 

4 hours ago, t.bell said:

How about 5/26/72 as an “on this day” show for Sunday. 

They did 4/7/72 earlier this month so maybe it’s on Dino’s mind...

We saw a 4/11/89 on 4/11 too!

• Forum MVP

I'm going to be snarky and cynical for a second hee bc it's early and caffeine hasn't kicked in yet....i bet the band picks none I'd the above requested shows. At least that's what I'd do....if i was picking the shows feeling snarky and un-caffeinated. 😜

If I was in the band, that's what I'd do also-Never trust a prankster. :)

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

I'm going to be snarky and cynical for a second hee bc it's early and caffeine hasn't kicked in yet....i bet the band picks none I'd the above requested shows. At least that's what I'd do....if i was picking the shows feeling snarky and un-caffeinated. 😜

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, Mango said:

It’s best not to guess correctly b/c then the show will get switched 😂

Whatever you guys do, don’t play a 69 show.  That’s how it’s done. 

Just to bust in and say something...well...random. I'm a bit stoned...medical legal in Florida, so please bear(bare, or bear...I never know) with me. I have many fond memories of the Jubilees I have had the luck to experience. Funny, I don't know how many off the top of my head, I think I missed 2. I lost count of dead shows at 50 and stopped counting. I guess I was a non conformist in a non conformist sub culture. I just didn't like the idea of the quantity of shows I saw measured my love of the music. I have 2, not so fond memories I want to share here.

Bob and I drove up together, set up camp and headed to the music. We complete half of the daily grind of humping our shit down to "the hill." Set up base camp and head to the stages. This was my first Jubilee and my JC instincts were telling me to stay alert. I watched our shit like a hawk, looked up again and again. After about 5 "look ups" I see 3 guys were putting our shit in their cart. I was on the warpath, full of negative energy, anger, pride, stubborn. I catch up to the three, and just start pulling my shit out of their cart. They, as most sane people would expect, were surprised. What are you doing?...the 6'2" guy asked. "Just grabbin our shit." What, he says!? Ut oh...I stop, gather my thoughts, look around and about 2 feet away is our shit.  They could tell right away I was horrified. I apologized, I don't know, maybe 1000 times. We parted ways square. I chatted with them throughout the weekend. Lucky I walked into the right sort that day. My first Jubilee could have been way different. As I have found over the years, walking into the right sort at Jubilee is almost a mathematical certainty and not at all lucky.

Our third or fourth Jubilee now. I know my shit is safe. Bob and I are playing music, actually, Bob is playing music and I was thumping a percussion thing. Saturday we were playing/thumping, partying with a grate group from Columbus I think. I notice a young couple meandering thru our campsite as they said hello to our hosts. I assumed they were friends. We play for a bit and I graduate to a washboard. I decide to twist one, and go for my backpack. Presto, it's gone. All my shit. I searched everywhere. Negativity was overwhelming. Same bullshit, anger, feeling of being "had", those fuckin youngsters...etc. After what I thought was 3 hours (probably 3 minutes) I found my backpack next to the cooler I set it on. Probably just moved to grab a beer. I'm a slow learner, but I managed to keep the negativity to myself this time. 

These are 2 separate events, but combined with other events, I have learned a tough lesson. IT'S JUST SHIT, don't fret. 

• Forum MVP

Excited for Jubilee! Took the van out to a friend’s place  for a trial run, torrential downpour, rainbow, and beautiful weather all. Caught three bands and starting to get showfit. The last one played well into the night and on into the downpour.   One tarp kept dumping water onto the covered stage. Swept the stage of water. It kept coming.  I grabbed a 20 ft 2x4 and lifted the tarp edge over the stage tent while others lifted water pooling from the sides. It didn’t last as the rain once again set in. All I could think was the barefooted guitarist was going to get electrocuted. We grabbed a rug out of the van and unfurled it on the stage. It lhelped.... No one died..... I did do the flash dance scene though, unexpectedly and not in a chair. More like a winning coach taking a cooler of Gatorade over the head. For the love of music! 

897E4506-9DB8-47F5-86DA-5151A054A8C5.jpeg

We’ve gotten about 71 inches of rain here in Kentucky last year and 30 so far this year. It’s wild. Every weekend it rains. 

The good news is that licking county Ohio where the Jubilee is held only had about 30 inches last year in total- and that was considered wetter than normal.

Im looking forward to a hopefully sunny and flowers filled Jubilee with scenery like the picture you posted above.

I see the bands start Friday at noon

do people arrive Thursday and set up?

or is it a busy Friday morning arrival?

is there security checks performed like the crazy  police vehicle search done at bonnaroo? 

What’s it like? 

• Forum MVP
On 5/8/2019 at 9:15 PM, LIkeEveryOne said:

I see the bands start Friday at noon

do people arrive Thursday and set up?

or is it a busy Friday morning arrival?

is there security checks performed like the crazy  police vehicle search done at bonnaroo? 

What’s it like? 

"doors" for cars etc is usually officially at noon Friday but sometimes opens earlier. 

Setting up camps inside grounds starts immediately after the "doors".  People are in the area prior to that but not in the festival grounds.

Security checks on cars occurs but it is not a big deal. Typically they have asked to open the trunk or other areas and do a quick look see. Usually they are checking for fireworks and "no glass bottles".  They seem to mostly just ask the driver and probably base the "search" on how honest he or she appears. 

• Forum MVP

Glass and tanks. Bring it. They will probably find it, although I’ve had some whiskey and wine at this festival. They took my hot sauce. Check your cooler for glass. Quick look around the car. We are here to have fun. The staff here knows it and want us to have fun. Just keeping us safe. 

Doors is usually a crap shoot but lines start but 10 am for sure. Always open early. The park n ride right down the street can get rowdy the night before. 

• Forum MVP

Get plastic whiskey bottles. You may have to downgrade a tad to ancient age 90 which is a perfectly acceptable jubilee whiskey and imo the best whiskey for the money. Can beer used to be an issue but now there are tons of good beers in cans. Nitrous tanks will get you banned for life. Eaton will come find you and brand your wrists so you will never be able to get a wristband again. 

Oh and looks like we are on track for the perfect weather we had year 3 after rain then arctic cold. 75 highs and 55 lows seem to be forecast and tracking nicely. Just hope no more 65 temps at night like last year. That makes for miserable attempted sleep. 50 is prob the ideal night temp but 55 will work.  We’d flip on the A/C in the car during set break and invite friends in to cool off. Felt a tad guilty starting the car but it was hot as balls last year when you aren’t ready for mid 80s yet. Having your car near you in VIP has lots of benefits. When it pours, hop in the car and jam dark side of the moon post Dso. Even if it’s not raining that’s a fun post show event. I used to be a purist now a heated seat leaned back with some tunes jamming is a nice civilization break. 

I've been surveying and enjoying Billy Strings, but the 4/20 fest I listened to his whole set, which was quite good. Loved the playing jam he inserting in his jams. I assume he changes up the setlist every night somewhat? Love to hear an Althea, and then anything else they go far out on.

Archived