Jazz fest

Rude

• Forum MVP

Anyone doing any of it this year?  It will be weird b/c last 2 years we went we hung with several peeps we met through Dso. This year I don’t know if anyone’s going. We will be at axial tilt and prob do Grateful shred after that on Friday night if can hold up. Doing Monday-Sunday. 3 days of daze between should be a perfect warmup for the big weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

During John medeskis mad skillet last night at d.b.a., Phil Lesh showed up and grooved for a set. Pretty much everyone let him just be a music fan. He was out until 3am which is like a 25yr old staying up for 3 days. He looked a lot younger in person. I actually thought at 1st it was a 50yr old with a haircut like Phil. TBH, I wasn’t sure who was a goblin and who wasn’t. Things were pretty strange for a while last night. The envelope was pushed. Where does that phrase come from. How does pushing the envelope equate to pushing your limits. Pushing an envelope is actually fairly easy. 

• Forum MVP

Wish a dead band would do Daze between instead of them stacked on top of each other on 1st or 2nd weekend. Phil playing opposite JRAD last weekend. Axial opposite oteill and friends and sci and more and more this weekend. It’s dead overload then dead dearth. 

• Forum MVP

So who should I see Tuesday and Wednesday. Click second weekend to see ridiculous options. This Friday has prob 5 bands I’d see within a 2 hour drive and all are playing at the same time. Think Thursday if my body holds up doing jazz fest all day finishing with Panic who was the replacement for Fleetwood Mac who was the replacement for the stones, then axial tilt then maybe Grateful shred or les claypool. Lol. That’s maybe a tad ambitious thinking I could survive noon-5am. This website is the shit. 

http://www.jazzfestgrids.com/daze_between/

• Forum MVP

So nugs.tv is broadcasting free lots of shows. Tonight is foundations of funk and billy strings at 9:30 and 9:45 cst. 

Sunday night dumpstaphunk and Marcus king are jamming together. Saw marcus yesterday play with Eric krasno, George porter jr, Ivan Neville and holy shit that dude can shred a guitar. He blew this sugaree up. Holy shit. He’s full blown blues style with a hint of jazz and not sure if he has a limit on how fast he can play. He’s a talent. 

This place is the shit. 11 day fest on like 50 stages. On each of the 4 day weekends it’s impossible choices. 8 nights have dead bands Including a night with 3 at once and a few more with 2 at the same time plus a few where you can see an after party dead band. Then you have so many ridiculous collaborations. It’s definiteky hard on your body, liver and wallet lol. It’s like a bunch of deadheads who aren’t deadheads. Everyone getting down dancing and super friendly. Love this place!!

• Forum MVP

Day 7 and fading fast. Baking in the sun at the fairgrounds all day yesterday took it out of me. Saw a great dumpstaphunk and panic show. When we got back it felt like I’d been drinking on a boat all day. Energy zapped. Then had the 10p-3am axial tilt show. Very cool quaint little club. Was a lot of fun even though I could only muster the energy to dance for maybe 20 minutes the whole time. If you watch it’s always sunny there was a guy who looked just like Charlie videoing the crowd. I joked to him all he needed was a flashlight duct taped to it for him to be spot on. He’s like I don’t watch that show. Good reference blown...He’d get right in your face recording you and I’d just turn my back to the camera. He’d literally be 6 inches from your face pointed at you. 

• Forum MVP

Hung out in our courtyard with this couple from Oakland til 5. Finally went to sleep at sunrise. Luckily our place has complete blackout curtains. Our spot is the best Airbnb I’ve stayed. Set up as perfect as you can get for a party place. She has the curtains extended out where no light at all gets into the room. It’s a legit blackout. Amazing courtyard. 300 feet to Frenchmen in the middle of the 2 blocks of clubs. No keys required. Just code to open the door and gate. Comfiest bed ever. But u get what you pay for and it ain’t cheap. So nice to be able to stumble a block home. 8 nights is too much really. Next year it’s prob a Wednesday-Monday. Shit I almost was going to do the whole 11 days. At this point we are sleeping until 3. It’s our morning still at this point. There’s no longer any allure to going to a place at 5 to see music and eat. It’s all eat, rest then music at night. Well she’s taking 5 mile walks every day like a crazy person. I’m looking forward to home. Can no longer tell if I’m drunk or sober. I think when Phil looked at me at dba he was thinking that dudes gonna need a liver transplant. Last night the gf said is today Monday?  That’s where we are right now lol. Getting ready for one more Saturday night...thoughts and prayers are needed ;)

• Forum MVP

Doing voodoo dead tonight. Having to skip Galactaphunk tonight at 2am. Gotta drive home tomorrow and a show til 5am ain’t in the cards even though that’s a crazy good collaboration. Luckily we don’t have to leave at 7am like 2 years ago to take you to the Memphis airport, but without that extra day you may not be holding your daughter right now. I think that extra day was the key. When she gets older you can tell her how a friend got 2 hours sleep to drive me 5 hours to the airport so your mom and I could spend an extra day together and that day was the key to it all. Without him you would definitely not be here on this earth and I’d have no one to help me change my bedpan.  I owe my life to that guy. He’s like a firefighter who saves a bunch of kittens from a burning building but braver. 

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, Rude said:

Doing voodoo dead tonight. Having to skip Galactaphunk tonight at 2am. Gotta drive home tomorrow and a show til 5am ain’t in the cards even though that’s a crazy good collaboration. Luckily we don’t have to leave at 7am like 2 years ago to take you to the Memphis airport, but without that extra day you may not be holding your daughter right now. I think that extra day was the key. When she gets older you can tell her how a friend got 2 hours sleep to drive me 5 hours to the airport so your mom and I could spend an extra day together and that day was the key to it all. Without him you would definitely not be here on this earth and I’d have no one to help me change my bedpan.  I owe my life to that guy. He’s like a firefighter who saves a bunch of kittens from a burning building but braver. 

That might be the fucking weirdest thing I've heard you say.  And I've heard you say some weird shit. Oh wait, yeah, Marriott after the Birmingham show, weirder...

• Forum MVP
12 hours ago, gr8fulpair said:

That might be the fucking weirdest thing I've heard you say.  And I've heard you say some weird shit. Oh wait, yeah, Marriott after the Birmingham show, weirder...

My filter has been completely disabled for the last week. Gonna take a few days to reset to my normal 10% filter. I do have a funny story for you but it’s an in person only one ;)  

• Forum MVP

Thank you Chris. I didn’t want to say anything. Rude really did do me a solid. Lots of people have helped Whitney and I along. I now have the most beautiful daughter. But no that extra day wasn’t everything.  Delilah is a product of the undying love I feel for her mother. 

I not only my own beautiful daughter but also the love of Whitney’s 6 year old. Whom I am proud to also call my daughter. It all really did start at Jazzfest. Something magical in those vibrations down on the bayou. 

• Forum MVP

Jazz fest is my favorite time of the year. It is very magical, but you will leave with significantly fewer brain cells than you came with. Hope they return soon b/c we are both on a few seconds delay. 16 hours of sleep awaits. I’ll miss the charbroiled oysters at Felix’s though. 

But even seeing all the great bands and several dead bands, none compare to seeing Dso do true Dead. 

• Forum MVP

Driving home from Nola yesterday tales from the golden road came on and it was just Gary hosting it and he talked about jazz fest and he was at a few of these shows we went to like John medeskis mad skillet when Phil showed and the Eric krasno and friends show with Marcus king so he mentioned for anyone who went to jazz fest to call in so I had pretty much no choice. Of course every time I call in I always pump Dso which in this case was the axial tilt show. A guy later in the show was like I must have been standing right next to the earlier caller b/c Phil was right next to me lol. I had 2 jokes I had to choose from. The one I didn’t use was when Phil and I locked eyes for a moment, he had to be thinking my next donor rap is going to be for that guy b/c he will need a liver transplant after this week. The other one was funnier I decided, but you have to find it yourself ;)  I thought I did a lot of stuff but Gary went to the fairgrounds plus the 10pm and the 2am bands every night. That’s a rough combo. The fairgrounds will drain you in the hot sun plus just the walking to and from the gates. We had a 6 furlong walk each way just to get from the road to the stages. 

Archived