Archive.org or NUGS or both

LIkeEveryOne

let me preface this topic by saying i know very little (period) and  i hope i'm not invoking the IRE  of the board and Band, it's not my intent.  I do agree that  artists OWN their property and are entitled to all the rights and  privileges accorded,  and placing anything in a public area reduces that ownership.       

But ,   having some or all of DSO concert  recordings available  in Archive.org  (free) is of course something i would love,   

Now, I understand Bob E. uses the Soundboard recordings to take them to the next level, which he moves to NUGS. (i think)

If i were a new fan searching for a great  band,  i wouldn't be inclined to join NUGS for a listen, instead i might go to RELISTEN, where i would find  good sounding  DSO music (for which i am grateful)  ,  but nothing that's the true band as  created by Bob E.

I guess i'm just  lobbying  for a few Bob E. recordings on Archive  for the benefit of attracting new fans.... (and of course for my listening ) P.S. i was a NUGS subscriber     

• Forum MVP

I wonder how big a population is aware of and spends time at the archive and is not aware of DSO?

I’m confident that is a small number.  

And Rob has openly shared that his window of time to participate in posting recordings is finite, so he chooses which shows (emphasis on originals) he works with.  In other words, he can’t do them all and he likely can’t post them everywhere.

So for those that want a (free) taste, the archive has ample offerings, even though they may only involve Rob from a guitar-playing and singing standpoint.  😁

https://archive.org/details/DarkStarOrchestra

• Forum MVP

It’s sort of ironic because someone anonymously uploaded dead Betty boards to archive. ;)  Russians obviously. 

Edit:  I’m actually thinking of the Jerry band shows that were uploaded anonymously to etree. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, LIkeEveryOne said:

I don’t like this thread.  😫.

sorry 

Too much drift?

I think the band should upload maybe 1 show per tour to archive.  I know this would fall on Eaton but I think the band would see some more Nugs downloads and a few new ticket-buying fans. 

I like that DSO has the relix broadcast for the CAP shows this weekend.  More opportunities definitely would not suck.....

• Forum MVP

I guess no one got my drift that so many free Betty boards exist b/c Of someone we  here see regularly and that someome just shared those dead and jgb shows with the world not giving 2 ducks whether estates wanted them vaulted or not, so someome could anonymously just upload their Dso shows to etree(forget about archive as nugs army of attorneys would have it shut down in seconds!! Fight the power!!) and share with the world or at least I was told to type that anonymously. 

23 hours ago, Rude said:

I guess no one got my drift that so many free Betty boards exist b/c Of someone we  here see regularly and that someome just shared those dead and jgb shows with the world not giving 2 ducks whether estates wanted them vaulted or not, so someome could anonymously just upload their Dso shows to etree(forget about archive as nugs army of attorneys would have it shut down in seconds!! Fight the power!!) and share with the world or at least I was told to type that anonymously. 

Eh, uploading official releases to etree, I disagree. It's not too much to lay out ten bucks to support the band, if you want to download a show played by a band operated by a guy who has done so much for the Grateful Dead community. 

On 5/15/2019 at 9:46 AM, LIkeEveryOne said:

But ,   having some or all of DSO concert  recordings available  in Archive.org  (free) is of course something i would love,  

I'm very grateful that DSO has an open taping policy. I wish more people would take advantage of their generosity in that regard. You can get into taping  at many price levels, and for me, it gives me another layer of fun when I'm at a show. I was worried it would detract from my fun, but it has increased it. It's pretty easy to get a good recording.  I've attended a few recreations where the music was so good, and I knew I'd never be able to hear it again because no one was taping, finally sold some stuff I wasn't using from other hobbies and got into it. It's really satisfying to be able to listen to a killer recording you made of a band you love seeing. It's especially satisfying to be the only taper in attendance when they play a recreation, and being able to share it with other people. So, to conclude, I don't think the band is going to open their vault for free any time soon, get some gear if you want to be sure you can hear every show you attend over and over, and you will help everyone else who wants to hear some live DSO shows!! (This is all said with all due respect, just trying to convince you to start taping if you want to see more  shows on the archive 🙂)

• Forum MVP

lol I was just making a circular reference. I didn’t mean to really do it 😜. I used to listen mostly to Dso but now I’m back to dead. The Dso board quality is so fantastic I was hooked on the perfect sound levels and hearing every instrument leveled correctly.  I also used to refuse to listen to 80-85 b/c the board quality fell off a cliff, but now I do. When I put those on friends are like dude put on a better sounding show. I’m like we can’t just listen to 69-79. 

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Rude said:

l also used to refuse to listen to 80-85 b/c the board quality fell off a cliff, but now I do. When I put those on friends are like dude put on a better sounding show.

Man you got some snobbish friends. (I resemble that remark.)

Archived