Princeton, NJ 5/20/19

izaacb

• Forum MVP
10 minutes ago, acududeman said:

I've always agreed with your bias against many of the Dylan covers, PG...….half of them I could do without

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Whoa.  Let’s not say anything we can’t take back.  Take a deep breath.....ok......and again.......breathe.......there you go.  

In and out.......in.... ........and out.

46 minutes ago, acududeman said:

I've always agreed with your bias against many of the Dylan covers, PG...….half of them I could do without

There’s an interesting topic.  Take it or leave it on the Dylan covers (only as it pertains to dead concerts ....not the Dylan song itself) 

Take It:

Masterpiece

Baby Blue

desolation row

she Belongs to me 

watchtower 

maggies farm 

leave it:

queen jane 

Tom Thumb blues 

Lot to laugh train to cry 

ballad of a thin man

knockin on heaven door

Quinn the Eskimo 

stuck inside a mobile 

visions of johanna

Now imagine the above as a set list. Throw drums /space in the middle and it’s almost full.  That is one boring setlist. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Forum MVP
22 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

There’s an interesting topic.  Take it or leave it on the Dylan covers (only as it pertains to dead concerts ....not the Dylan song itself) 

leave it:

visions of johanna

Pray for Mojo

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5ce4927754524f7a36

• Like (+1) 1
  • LMAO 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Queen Jane is a spinners delight.

Then again, it's all subjective. This setlist was boring to me with some highlights sprinkled throughout. Throwing stones>nfa is the epidome of "standard 80s finisher". That being said, When in the right mood, i can love it. 

Shit, I've had a blast dancing to Samba in the Rain. Still waiting for Barraco to get the cahones to sing that one 😄 consider that a challenge if you're reading this...

• Like (+1) 1
  • LMAO 1
  • Forum MVP
11 hours ago, Mango said:

Super boring setlist but dso always delivers above what the setlist shows.

That's funny I was looking at that list, having seen the show, and thinking, especially as relates to the 1st set, "wow, that's a cool setlist. I don't remember all that."

I submit that as a touring Head in Feb '90 that setlist would not have bored you.

• Forum MVP
10 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

It is really just Queen Jane- is that suppose to be Joan Baez?

I think He’ll in a bucket is about Joan Baez, or at least that’s the rumor.

Speaking of rumors, if you hold the album cover of Mars hotel up to a mirror, the hieroglyphics across the top read, ‘ugly rumors’. Supposedly that’s about a rumor that Jerry was sleeping with Donna.

• Haha (+1) 1
7 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

I would like to hear Iko, women R smarter, and Not Fade Away strung together. Probably in that order. Same beat, right? Heavy percussion 

That was generally my point. Aiko and Women r smarter are essentially the same song with different lyrics. 

• Forum MVP

The General way to tell them apart but not always is that aiko has a longer intro than women are smarter. Aiko usually goes around 1-2mins of instrumental 1st when the others go into the song quicker. The dead did do an aiko>nfa where they did verse 1 of aiko then switched to nfa.  Songists say all dead songs sound the same, and it’s sad that people live their lives with those hateful stereotypes. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, John A said:

Scary thing is I want to say that actually happened. Maybe more than once?

The two that jumped to my mind were Alpine 1989 and Buffalo 1990 (Sugar > Scarlet > Women, both times).  woof.  I think I got a Scarlet > Touch > Women too - don't remember when or where but I'm almost certain of it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
8 hours ago, Rude said:

The General way to tell them apart but not always is that aiko has a longer intro than women are smarter. Aiko usually goes around 1-2mins of instrumental 1st when the others go into the song quicker. The dead did do an aiko>nfa where they did verse 1 of aiko then switched to nfa.  Songists say all dead songs sound the same, and it’s sad that people live their lives with those hateful stereotypes. 

The songs are in different keys. Also, women are smarter features Hammond organ and aiko typically not (but maybe sometimes). There is a subtle rhythm difference as well. I've been known to guess incorrectly... 🙂

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

That was my first impression at my first Dark Star Orchestra show. I can still do this! I can still go to shows! You’re right, we got it back. With a sober, professional enthusiasm. They can ‘fix’ all the drugged out shows, rough vocals, and tackle a nineties set list with a vengeance. My favorite facet is that they go back before my time and deliver a seventies show or even earlier. Yea, Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

That was my first impression at my first Dark Star Orchestra show. I can still do this! I can still go to shows! You’re right, we got it back. With a sober, professional enthusiasm. They can ‘fix’ all the drugged out shows, rough vocals, and tackle a nineties set list with a vengeance. My favorite facet is that they go back before my time and deliver a seventies show or even earlier. Yea, Praise DSO.

More blasphemy!!! Do you hate the “drugged out” 60’s shows too. /threadlock

• Forum MVP

I’m talking about the shows where Jerry was so fucked up from drugs or lack thereof, that he couldn’t play or sing worth a fuck. The half hearted attempts. The forgotten lyrics. That’s something you do not get with DSO. Their professionalism takes that out of the mix. They don’t recreate the flaws. Don’t get me wrong. I also understand that without the drugs, you don’t get Jerry taking our minds to the edge of the universe with a Dark Star that goes on forever, etc.

I also think that DSO brings people together so that these conversations can happen in real time before, during,(talkers), and after shows, as opposed to blips on the forums. I imagine that Jubilee is the epitome of that scenario. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
8 hours ago, Rude said:

More blasphemy!!! Do you hate the “drugged out” 60’s shows too. /threadlock

LSD isn't a drug. It is at the very foundation of this music. Cocaine and heroine ruined it and Jerry's life. Then again, he was carrying a heavy burden....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
On 5/21/2019 at 10:10 PM, Mango said:

Queen Jane is a spinners delight.

Then again, it's all subjective. This setlist was boring to me with some highlights sprinkled throughout. Throwing stones>nfa is the epidome of "standard 80s finisher". That being said, When in the right mood, i can love it. 

Shit, I've had a blast dancing to Samba in the Rain. Still waiting for Barraco to get the cahones to sing that one 😄 consider that a challenge if you're reading this...

Would take some super primo burgundy to make that a reality;-))