Jubilee Sat 2019

• Forum MVP

4/19/78 

e Mr Charlie

Powerstation holds court . The melodies were delicately and hauntingly beautiful. Like a cool river stream.  He’s  gone... round and round.... the Woo’s and the Ah’s. 

I think they iced the amps down after Billy Strings. :-))

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

We packed it up close to 2am. 

How late did Billy play?

The DSO was (to no surprise) fantastic!

i was joking maybe it was an elective late 70’s “most generic” set list Rob could come up with. But man on man the playing was anything but generic. Huge HUGE bombs in both Other One and Wharf Rat. 

Woo!!!!  😂😂

• Forum MVP

IIBilly strings played until 2:18. I was curious how much he went over so looked at phone.

Billy strings blew my top off. Anyone who didn’t stay for that missed what I believe was the best show of the day. Every song was a face melter. Definitely more psychedelic that I’ve seen and heard from him. He’s such an insane talent. I don’t know how to describe what I heard. It’s like a super fast playing psychedelic jazz band decided to use bluegrass music as their conduit into what they really do. We looked at our friends every 30 secs with dropped jaws. Even at that insane playing speed he has such volume control when he jazzes it  off beat. I’m seeing that dude next time he’s within 4 hours. I love when a band knows their audience and he played dead festival style. Didn’t play any dead songs which was completely fine with me considering he was giving us the goods. Well he did have to follow dso so that prob led to a more psychedelic style. Not sure I’ve ever seen the late bight band have that many people down there either. It’s also rare to see that many people I know who usually just see the dso guys stay down there and boogie. Dso is going to always bring the goods. This was very unexpected and they made use of the big PA vs smaller clubs where they can’t make the sound move hundreds of feet. Definitely the most psychedelic show of the fest. 

Oh yeah that 78 dso show was on fire too. My fav show of the fest even though Sunday was my favorite dance party even though the fire people tried to distract people from the music. They are 20 feet from the left PA and took up prob 600 sq ft of space that about 30 of us had on lockdown. I would just tell people don’t look. It’s a trap to distract you from your mission to get down and boogie. It sort of reminded me of that Charlotte Fillmore show where they wouldn’t open the curtains and were forcing us all into undanceable space until enough complained. Unfortunately our complaints weren’t heard here. I mean dso is the focus of the fest. You don’t put fire spinners between the crowd and the stage. They used to be way up the hill or on the grass but they had an area bigger than most indoor venue pits roped off. Regardless it was magical!!! The happiness level of everyone seemed off the charts. Didn’t know it could be any friendlier but this year took the cake. I think we need 1 of these every 3 months!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

You got the goods. Tinfoil and Turmoil and a Meet Me at The Creek are quintessential for a solid Strings experience. Maybe someday the Playin' will materialize but for now it's a thread that runs in and out of the garden. He's been tripping the sounds pretty hard lately, still backing with solid fretwork. I believe it's only going to get better. You got ROMP coming up and a festival in Louisville called Railbird. I really wanted to hit Annies for DSO this summer, but that's also my only chance to get Strung out. Such is the quandary of life, nothing comes for free, there seems to always be a give and take, and not always an easy choice as the years start growing behind us.

• Forum MVP

It was a true literal family drums with kids and grandkids up there playing. I’m not sure who’s son/grandson it is that’s probably 8 yr old that’s playing with sticks up front but he was so fun to watch at red rocks and now here. He’s going off beat improvising when 8 year olds shouldn’t be able to create like that. If many here put their young kids up there it would be a jumbled mess. I guess having pro musicians as parents helps lol. 

• Band Member

The family drums on Saturday night included members of Donna the Buffalo, the mighty pines, Chris Robinson brotherhood and some of our friends. One of the better ones we have had. Having it be mostly musicians creates an excellent groove. Tara Nevens from Donna the Buffalo on Washboard was absolutely outstanding

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
11 minutes ago, t.bell said:

Thanks Rob - makes sense. 

The quality of the drumming seemed much higher than the Red Rock family drumming.  

But no less fun and enjoyable 🙂

Hey. I thought the kids were awesome at redrocks. :)  I Took a seat further back during drums at jubilee and saw a few kids so figured it was the same group. I just assumed in the last 8 months they were all home getting ready for their next stage appearance and were honing their craft bevause it was definitely was a higher level at jubilee. 

I still have a wave of bliss rolling through my body. Jubilee usually results in a full week of that happy glow. It really is the best place on the planet during Memorial Day. 90% of attendees would give you the shirt off their back. Every camp of strangers id walk by and say hello would say have a seat and hang out. The love and sharing is really unequalled. My buddy who did his 1st jubilee said every person he locked eyes with would flash a huge smile. He was blown away by the love shown. I mean if you go to jubilee and don’t have the ultimate time you may be incapable of being happy at all. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • 2 months later...