China cat Sunflower

I know you Rider

One More Saturday Night 

4/30/89 Frost Amphitheater. Stanford

Ripple.

Edited by t.bell
Spelling
  • Forum MVP

Absolute blast. Such a great group. Love all around. 

One complaint move the fire spinners. That is the most ideal dance space and to rope it off is plain stupid. If anything it should be roped off for the dancers. Fire spin late night or do it back by kid zone. 

Im mid spin totally blissing out 2nd set night two. My lady says I’m just a step off from Jamaica. So I’m moving. Security stops me to tell me they gonna set fire spinners back up. That’s insanity to me. I was so close to that total loss of my own consciousness to have that happen is a total bummer. 

If you feel you need to use that space for fire spinners and you feel like they essential to this scene and community. Do it late night when half us back at campsite and good dance space isn’t at such a premium. 

Or just let me know you don’t give a fuck about my opinion. I will bring the rugs back. I will rope them off and I won’t let anyone that doesn’t dance on them. I don’t care if your my friend or you know all of us. You don’t dance you don’t come on rugs. I’d rather just move the fire spinners but I will stand up for the dancers and fight for us to have a space to really get down. 

I think the dancers are more important to this scene than the fire spinners. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Forum MVP

Second this. Put the "performaners" somewhere else- anywhere but right there.

And here's 2 more cents. This is a problem i have with....humanity. When did show going become a spectator sport? Everyone On their phones, very little participation. This Music and scene was born of the Acid Tests where everyone was the show. Additionally, the fire spinning smells disgusting.

All complaints aside, my favorite jubilee show ever. Just an epic dance party, so many people freely expressing themselves and loving eachother. Much gratitude to all involved, fans bands and crews. Yay!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Forum MVP

I appreciate the support. The more voices we get the more likely we will be heard. 

Btw, I’m with mango not on best show ever. That 69 from the ark is tops for me but this despite my complications may very well been the best jubilee ever. 

• Forum MVP

Agreement with Mango...despite following bitches this is an incredibly fantastic event. Kudos to all that make it happen and DSO x 20...a popular number for years playin in or following this band.

Agreement with Mason...first time I experienced some fraying around the edges that previously were non existent.

Apparently the Lost Lands festival last year at this Legend Valley venue (look it up) attracted 40,000 and have caused some not so fun growing pains which have spilt over.

Examples....

VIP camping area, smaller with less shade and more rocks to walk through to and from stage.

Showers a disaster...many problems with pressure and draining.

If you are going to delay coffee in morning cause of lightning, then you cannot let people use the metal shitters right next door or you lose credibility...which happened.

Growing pains perhaps to support the larger festival scene...but please please please continue to limit tickets to the Jubilee keeping it intimate and incredible mix of fun peeps and great music.

Should be given some attention...

I think we know what we talk about...smart enough to follow this band for so long.

After meeting Mr. and  Misses Mason child...ridiculously beautiful, I will answer his call for support because...he earns it. Has she experienced dancing on your belly at a show yet?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

the doobies are much less of a concern than cigarette smoke. I am simply appalled that people think it's ok to smoke cigarettes In a crowd. But yeah i don't like being stopped mid dance and offered a joint. I just want to dance 🙂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

I realize I have very little credibility here due to lack of show attendance in recent years. But as an original member of the Children of the Rugs, an attendee and dancer (such as it is) at a goodly number of shows over a goodly number of years, and an overall proud fan, I think I have a decent perspective of what works on this side of the rail. As far as DSO at festies goes, I speak as someone who saw a lot of GratefulFests as well as Jubilees up to two years ago, not to mention Mighty Highs during the band's tenure there.

Sacrificing valuable dance turf to fire spinners who formerly were off to the side (stage right, I believe) is at best thoughtless in the true sense of the term. At worst it may be deemed, even if not intentionally meant that way, a comment on the relative worth of deeply devoted fans. In any event, it does not work.

Neither do cigarettes.

Nor do cell phones. Save it for Taylor Swift.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

Between Chuck Mango and Myself we have easily seen over 1200 DSO shows. Toomuchfun total not too shabby either. These are serious fans discussing an issue real serious to us. Besides my family. Nothing is more important to me than DSO and dancing

• Like (+1) 1

In agreement with all the above. 

Definitely the roughest edge of any of my previous but still so enjoyable, peaceful and wonderful. 

Id like to email my comments as well. Send to the All Good folks?

the timer has started for my return in two years. 😍😍

The music and dancing was wonderful this weekend. Great group and high energy. Night three was among my favorite times I've had at a show. All three shows were stellar, and I think they got better each night.  It was great camping with many of you and making some kind new friends. Hope to see you all again soon!! I enjoyed everything about the festival, except the sideshow. It was not necessary at all during the concert and should have been placed elsewhere. The guy cracking the fire bullwhip was the greatest distraction, and had the audacity to actually use it while the band was playing. I gotta guess the band felt the same, because he started playing with it again in between songs, and the instant that it was extinguished, they kicked off the next song. The fire people and the pole lady were kind of cool, just please don't have them perform during the DSO shows, taking up space in front and distracting  people from the performance. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
6 hours ago, 2muchfun said:

After meeting Mr. and  Misses Mason child...ridiculously beautiful, I will answer his call for support because...he earns it. Has she experienced dancing on your belly at a show yet?

No she did Disney in a harness with me. Harness was left at grandmas on Florida so all we have is the body wrap thing. She’s danced with mommy a few times. Kinda danced with of us first set last night but she was on mommy tummy. 

We do dance together. A few times I have danced her to sleep through a fit. 

Thank you for the support

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

Chuck will always carry a strong opinion with me. He may not do it like he used to but when he did it. He was one of the best 

Hardpan made a good point. Those watching the fire dancers are disengaging from the show. It’s a distraction from the music. Music many of us consider sacred 

• Forum MVP
44 minutes ago, Blindman said:

Granted we're talking semantics here but can't sit idle to hear how Chuck "may not do it like he used to...".  Some walk trails and some blaze trails.  I've been around long enough to know where CV sits along the road.  

Right, like Mile Marker 1.

• Forum MVP
19 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

I appreciate the support. The more voices we get the more likely we will be heard. 

Btw, I’m with mango not on best show ever. That 69 from the ark is tops for me but this despite my complications may very well been the best jubilee ever. 

That was our second thought - that show was indeed super amazingly special!! 

Fire spinning was obtrusive  for its disruption, the fumes and taking over our dance space! Scattered like lost words....:-((

and the cigarettes- I went out and danced super hard and came back in to a wall of smoke that literally stole my breath. 

The VIP tent needs to be moved back about at least 10 yards. The shower situation sucked so bad we are buying a rooftop shower and going to GA in two years. I will miss the lighted bathroom though.... I waited patiently and had a lovely time chatting. The guy cleaned one shower building and finally after 45-1hour was sitting talking to Captain. I walked over after being Told that the showers would be ready soon many times that it would be 10 more minutes. I just told them to fuck that I wasn’t waiting anymore and ended up using the spray hose in GA to rinse off after Dino and Progfusionals. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

I hate cell phones at a show (I don’t get how a person could be more interested in recording what they’re watching vs. just enjoying it and imprinting it on their soul), and don’t want to be around cigarettes anywhere, but the notion that everyone at a Grateful Dead show (or any concert) is going to follow the rules established by others is not realistic.  It’s also contradictory to the spirit of the Grateful Dead scene.  The irony of a hippie telling someone else what they can and cannot do is a tell.

And the implication that increased popularity and show attendance is a bad thing is not fair to the band.  Money is a thing, and they are entitled to more of it if the market allows.  

What if DSO could fill Alpine Valley?  Good or bad thing?  I think it would be fantastic, but it sure as hell would not be as easy as rolling into some bar to see them.  

Fascinating topic.  Change is hard at times.  Hang in there.  

• Like (+1) 1

I used to have a Dupree’s Diamond News issue from the late 80’s where the writer essentially blamed all the problems with the late 80s scene- crowds, prices, parking lot, vendors- all of it- on venues allowing beer sales during Grateful Dead concerts. He tried hard to convince all who would listen that booze was killing the scene, but...hard to tell Dead fans what to do. When I drank some beer at this years Jubilee, I thought of him and gave him a toast.

Edited by LangeradoSoul
  • Like (+1) 2