7-7-86: Weir Introduces the band

John A

• Forum MVP

This is a fun little snippet of Grateful Dead history, and extremely unique (unprecedented?) for latter era Dead.

Toward the end of Satisfaction, Bobby introduces the band, culminating with "then of course over here we got ol' Jer."  But Garcia fittingly gets the last word: "One of my favorite people in the whole wide world, Mr. Bob Weir."

Check it out if you're unfamiliar.  Starting a little bit before the 5 min mark of Satisfaction.

https://archive.org/details/gd1986-07-07.fm.miller.88176.flac16/gd86-07-07d2t10.flac

• Forum MVP

Jerry really does charge in there after Bobby's platitude :headbang:

Not sure I can recall any other mid-song intros - closest is GAMH 1975 and even that one was during the warm-up

• Forum MVP

and then that was that, no Ventura, thought he might show up with the Mystery Band at Pyramid Lake Nevada in Sept, but no, not until The Stone in October. It was all Kimock and Kingfish w/ Bobby and some Hunter shows (Rock Columbia tours) to get us through. There were a few Mydland and Kreutzman shows (Go Ahead was the bands name, I think)

RFK 86 was laden with undercovers (mushroom window van) and police raids before and after the unbelievably hot shows. Energy level is off the hook with the introductions

• Forum MVP

Lasting impressions from this show....

It was hot as hell.

Lost my friends at half time, just as darkness was descending. Through my lysergic lens, without enough light, panic set in as I realized I had no car and I was visiting DC at the time. Fortunately I got my shit together enough to get to the front of the stage and enjoy the second set. Shortly after the lights came up, I turned around and there were my friends.....magic.

Terrapin was botched, Wharf Rat strong, intro to Round & Round jarring......and of course the band intro......Jerry took care of Bobby pretty good......I laughed like hell at that one.

Great memories....

• Forum MVP

Brent and Bill’s band was called Dead Ahead. I saw them in Newark, De., at the Stone Balloon. They played with two guys from Santana, if I am not mistaken, plus some other guy from the Bay Area. They would play a Dead tune, then a Santana tune, Dead tune, Santana tune. They rocked the place. It was an incredible night. We were sitting on the bar, ten feet in front of Brent. smoking bowls. Blatantly. In public. 1986. Security? What security? 

Archived