Vending

newyawker

I haven't been to Utica, but I set some stuff up at Rochester last year with no trouble and plan on it again this year. Usually see people at every show I attend with smaller stuff like pins stickers etc on tables or standing with a pin board. Probably depends on the rules wherever you are to what degree you can set up. What are you selling?

• Forum MVP

They supposedly shut down Chicago shakedown because most didn’t have permits. Only a few vendors remained on Saturday who spent the whole day process to get one.  But it was nasty all day raining. so it was gonna be dead anyway. 

They supposedly shut down Chicago shakedown because most didn’t have permits. Only a few vendors remained on Saturday who spent the whole day process to get one.  But it was nasty all day raining. so it was gonna be dead anyway. 

Note that was at deadco. It was such a massive scene the city wanted their cut. If there were 5 vendors they would’nt have wasted their time. I say go for it. 

I vended from 1997-2001. For the most part, I killed it. Thankfully, the ratio of people to vendors were good, but we fought the local venue and police tooth and nail and had to play many games of set up, take down, set up. Knowing when to be sly, when to be aggressive, when to bribe the police-all of it was key. The same venue could treat you differently depending on the day or the hour. It was a game, for sure, but having a larger crowd is key to business and often the key to receiving cover. I vended Further Festival, Other Ones, Phil Lesh & Friends, Ratdog, and did occasional jaunts with Phish, SCI, Dave Matthews, Widespread as needed for filler.

Good luck

On 6/30/2019 at 12:51 PM, Hardpan said:

I haven't been to Utica, but I set some stuff up at Rochester last year with no trouble and plan on it again this year. Usually see people at every show I attend with smaller stuff like pins stickers etc on tables or standing with a pin board. Probably depends on the rules wherever you are to what degree you can set up. What are you selling?

We’re selling Dyes.  I’m just asking if anyone pays a venue fee or fee to the city.  I never did before for the GOGD. But like I said, it was almost 30 years ago.  I’ve attempted to reach out to the Venues but haven’t received a call back. 

And I’m not about to call the city to open up a can of worms. I also want to be fair if others vendors are paying a fee.  

• Forum MVP

Ain’t no fees to vend at DSO. Hardly lucrative (we go to Dead co for money and DSO for the music!) but helps to recreate/continue the Grateful Dead experience when vendors are around. DSO plays smaller venues than the boys, so shakedown is small and we all know each other. Sometimes the venue is too small and vending is frowned on, but mostly they are groovy about going to venues that let us do our thing. I called the city once for that infamous Dewey Beach show (y’all know the ONE) and we were told we weren’t allowed to get a vending permit, but when we told the cops the guys name we talked to (bill Mease, will never forget that name) it saved us from getting fined or our shit taken cause the cops said the dude was an asshole n shoulda let us pay the fee. So...... yeah, bring your dyes and provide something built to last (cause the nitrous does NOT!) kiss kiss, have fun! 

On 7/2/2019 at 3:50 PM, newyawker said:

We’re selling Dyes.  I’m just asking if anyone pays a venue fee or fee to the city.  I never did before for the GOGD. But like I said, it was almost 30 years ago.  I’ve attempted to reach out to the Venues but haven’t received a call back. 

And I’m not about to call the city to open up a can of worms. I also want to be fair if others vendors are paying a fee.  

fuck no..this scene is undercova...chill ...no problemo

Archived