MH research findings about music

Ammagamalin Crew

• Forum MVP

Our Brains Appear Uniquely Tuned for Musical Pitch

The results of a study partly funded by NIH suggest that speech and music may have shaped the human brain’s hearing circuits. To test this, the researchers played a series of harmonic sounds, or tones, to healthy volunteers and monkeys. Meanwhile, functional magnetic resonance imaging was used to monitor brain activity in response to the sounds. The researchers found evidence suggesting the human brain was highly sensitive to tones. The human auditory cortex was much more responsive than the monkey cortex when they looked at the relative activity between tones and equivalent noisy sounds. The study highlights the promise of Sound Health, a joint project between the NIH and the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, in association with the National Endowment for the Arts, that aims to understand the role of music in health. https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/our-brains-appear-uniquely-tuned-musical-pitch

• Forum MVP

I can attest first hand to the power of music. My mother is in the late stages of alzheimers and doesn't even recognize me anymore but if you start playing some Elvis songs she'll sing right along. Makes my day every time

Archived