Grateful Dead/ Pink Floyd

bs69

• Forum MVP

The Dead and Floyd represent the two most awesome live concert experiences I have had. I've always been fascinated about how their music and concert experience are so different yet similar. Their careers pretty much mirror the same period with the Dead at the vanguard of the San Francisco psychedelic scene and Floyd the same for London. Both lost an important member early yet still evolved into something great and different. Both wanted the music to be the main focus with the Dead letting the audience be the show and Floyd using the effects and extracurricular stuff deflect the attention from them on stage. I really felt that with both bands having seats up close were irrelevant. I'm curious what others thoughts are?

• Forum MVP

I regret not going to see Floyd back in the day and missing the Roger Waters show in Nashville last year. What was I thinking. He was doing the wall which may be my favorite album ever. 

• Forum MVP

Never saw Floyd with Waters but saw then in 87 at Cleveland Stadium and again a couple times in 93 or 94. The show at Ohio Stadium in I think 94 was incredible,  went to the Hoosier dome a couple nights later. 

• Forum MVP

Caught radio k.a.o.s. tour in 1987 in Denver then the  amused to death show at deercreek in 1999. What God Wants, God Gets....I thought the waters shows made more sense than the one Columbus stadium pink floyd in 1988. Seemed like floyd was playing the hits while waters whole show had meaning. 

• Forum MVP

My buddy Dave plays guitar and Floyd is his band. Well he was strictly Floyd until he heard Jerry and now he mostly listens to Dead even though Floyd is his fav all time.  He said the outdoor Floyd shows were by far the best sound he’s ever heard. I don’t doubt that there may be nothing on earth that came close to the sound system Floyd used in their 80/90’s shows. 

Late last night on the Turner Classic Movie Channel,  they showed the film Zabriskie Point.  This features music by both Pink Floyd and the Dead.  There is an extended solo piece by Jerry Garcia as a part of it.  It is definitely worth looking up. 

• Forum MVP

I think the best way to sum it up is that they both are the only ones who do what they do. The same but different.  Floyd just never grabbed me like the Dead did. Must be because all of the live shows and the total lack of as far as Floyd is concerned. I have total respect and understanding for Floyd freaks. I get it. 

ammagamali radio kaos and ammused to death the  logical evolution of echoes, atom heart mother, animals, wish you were here, darkside of the moon, but not so much the wall (which is in the same universe but with a different take on a theme {in the film havin his poetry book, read aloud in class, "money get back, im allright jack, kerp yoir hands off my stack....rubbish (smack), absolute rubish... ). probably could throw music for the film more in there at the beginning.

Archived